• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

game atmosphere

I haven't stopped being a fan...I just stopped spending silly amounts of $$ and leaving my family behind to drive up to Winston for 2 hours. My bandwagon stays parked in my driveway.

HOW DARE YOUR LIFE NOT REVOLVE AROUND 18-22 YEAR OLD YOUNG MEN PLAYING A GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111111111111

I am surprised. Just from reading some of your comments there is no passion even when we play Carolina.

Win and people will show up. Thanks for defining a band wagon fan for me.

Band wagon or reality? People still want Wake to win but people are busy. Sports are entertainment. This is not entertaining. Why take the time to come out to a game where the result is basically known beforehand. We simply aren't competitive at all and havent been in a long time. And the talent here right now is never going to be enough. It isnt worth the effort to keep showing up hoping for an upset so Wake can move from last to second to last....

Bullshit.

Wake Forest hustled and did not back down.

Wake Forest was out-manned. Period.

Help is on the way.

Last night in the second half I thought we backed down at one point. We reached a point where we had no fight or no attitude. It's understandable but the one thing I've been encouraged by was the overall hustle this year.

It's not just "win and they will come."

People need to believe to show up, need to believe that things will actually get better. Skip's last two teams were pretty shitty, and people still showed up en masse. Why? Because they believed it would get better.

It seems clear that Bzzz inspires Wellman, but not the fan base. It will take a minor miracle for that to happen - .500 in the ACC, in this economy, with a fan base this deflated, isn't going to cut it.

People need to believe to show up, need to believe that things will actually get better. Skip's last two teams were pretty shitty, and people still showed up en masse. Why? Because they believed it would get better.

And now I want somebody to make an "It Gets Better" parody video about Wake Basketball...

It seems clear that Bzzz inspires Wellman, but not the fan base. It will take a minor miracle for that to happen - .500 in the ACC, in this economy, with a fan base this deflated, isn't going to cut it.

Agreed. It would take far more than .500 in the ACC to bring back the crowd. Limited success won't cut it for a guy with Bzz's resume.

Agreed. It would take far more than .500 in the ACC to bring back the crowd. Limited success won't cut it for a guy with Bzz's resume.

Yes. Maybe Buzz can copy and paste some of Skip's witty emails to students and I mean that as a compliment to Skip as in Buzz seems incapable of inspiring the fan base.

Also, listening to Bilas pour praise on Buzz and how Buzz has been asked to "re-build the program" and is "terrific" made me think of Dean Smith who used to praise on Sean Allen. It's like, yeah, keep him, we know we (UNC or DUKE - Bilas) will beat him 100% of the time because he stinks. So let me tell these idiots how great he is and they will keep him.

Also, listening to Bilas pour praise on Buzz and how Buzz has been asked to "re-build the program" and is "terrific" made me think of Dean Smith who used to praise on Sean Allen. It's like, yeah, keep him, we know we (UNC or DUKE - Bilas) will beat him 100% of the time because he stinks. So let me tell these idiots how great he is and they will keep him.

Queue Tim Duncan quote about the best player he's ever played against...

People seem to think our fan base isn't giving Bz enough time to "Build his program." Well, it doesn't matter what he's trying to do if he's going to push the self-destruct program on what we had before...

People seem to think our fan base isn't giving Bz enough time to "Build his program." Well, it doesn't matter what he's trying to do if he's going to push the self-destruct program on what we had before...

That's because he has no history of program building.

What we need is someone like skip to inspire the fanbase. The joel was pretty dead during the odom years. Was it good at times?, sure. But, when skip got here he made an effort to give us a real home court advantage. I know it is easier to cheer for a winning team, but I didn't see Mr. [Redacted] do anything to attempt to connect with the students or the fans while I was at wake. When you listen to him on the radio after a game he sounds like his dog just died. The man acts like a loser with no confidence. How do you get behind someone like that?

As for the general atmosphere, I am not sure if people are actively not going to send a message, but I have a feeling that a message is being sent.

People don't give a shit, and have no reason to think about giving a shit with [Redacted] in charge. Kind of an "if he doesn't care, why should I?" mentality, I think. I'm not saying he doesn't care, I don't know. But when he interacts with the public he doesn't act like he cares. That, to me, is a big problem. I'm not saying he needs to be Mr. Personality like Skip if that isn't his thing, but he could at least make more of an effort to seem enthusiastic.

I've only missed one game this year, but the pro-UNC crowd in the Joel has me firmly BZZthefuckOUT. If all Wellman cares about is fucking culture, he can get the fuck out too. We're never going to get anywhere with recruiting classes worse than the Tarheel backups, especially with a coach who purposefully runs out the shot clock with 4 minutes to go, down by 20! WTF Bzz?

I will say Buzz's post game pressers seems like he is trying to convince himself to stay positive more than convince the players to stay positive.

Just win. That's all it takes. Everything else is window dressing.

People came to watch Dino in his ridiculous 3 piece suits when they thought we'd win. They came to watch Prosser with his quips and student-friendly mantras when they thought we'd win. They came to watch boring Dave Odom coach with a perpetual frown when they thought we'd win.

It's been said already, but I don't see how anyone can get upset by the crowds. Yes, we have die-hard fans, and that's why there are still a couple-thousand fans at most games. If I lived in Winston I would have been there last night. If I lived any farther away than maybe Greensboro I wouldn't have been. And if it had been anyone but Duke, Carolina, or maybe State, I probably wouldn't have been there even then.

For everyone else, there's no motivation to come. I don't owe these kids anything. I want to see them succeed, but if they aren't succeeding and aren't giving me something fun to watch, then I'm not going to make too much effort to be there, particularly for a late night weeknight game. Add in a small student base, a small alumni base, and a town that has as many if not more Carolina fans than Wake fans, and you're going to have consistently small crowds until the team improves significantly.

It's really the same thing you see happening to any smaller-market poorly performing NBA or MLB team. The crowds just aren't going to be there.

This decline in "priority" has actually been a great thing for me and my family. Instead of prioritizing getting over to campus for every football, basketball, and lots of soccer games, for the past couple of years I have instead focused on work and family.

Family life is great, and income is doubled in addition to becoming a shareholder in the company due to added results from working harder.

So I guess in short I learned that Wake Sports is still great, I love going when I can go, but it'll never be a priority again.

Not true, and repeating it over and over won't make it true.

Skip lost 4,000 fans per game after an NIT team came back and got worse. End of season was abysmal. We lost 1,000 fans per game from last year having a historically bad team lose talent and come back to still suck.

Sure, if you get Michael Jordan to come coach this team to 14 wins you might get a few hundred more fans a game. In the normal world of actual coaches we could get, it's a ridiculous argument to blame [Redacted] for attendance via any other reason than wins.

Hell, we have Childress on the roster. Get his ass out there begging students to show up and cheer for a loser.

Or simply spend the time and effort putting a winner on the floor. Problem fixes itself.

Skip lost 4,000 fans per game after an NIT team came back and got worse. End of season was abysmal. We lost 1,000 fans per game from last year having a historically bad team lose talent and come back to still suck.

Sure, if you get Michael Jordan to come coach this team to 14 wins you might get a few hundred more fans a game. In the normal world of actual coaches we could get, it's a ridiculous argument to blame [Redacted] for attendance via any other reason than wins.

Hell, we have Childress on the roster. Get his ass out there begging students to show up and cheer for a loser.

Or simply spend the time and effort putting a winner on the floor. Problem fixes itself.

Skip lost 4,000 to get to 10,000. Belief, or the power to get others to believe, is what Bzzz is missing right now more than wins.

Back