• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

game atmosphere

If you win, they will come. We need to win. I know it is shocking that Wake fans don't turn out in droves to see us get pummeled by UNC.

Bzz has to turn it around by next year or he is gone. A reasonable goal is .500 in conference play.

The Joel is a great place & it was filled to the brim in the 90's with Rogers, Childress & Duncan and it was filled to the brim & rocking in the 2000's with JHo & CP3.

Win & they will come.

It's not just "win and they will come."

People need to believe to show up, need to believe that things will actually get better. Skip's last two teams were pretty shitty, and people still showed up en masse. Why? Because they believed it would get better.

It seems clear that Bzzz inspires Wellman, but not the fan base. It will take a minor miracle for that to happen - .500 in the ACC, in this economy, with a fan base this deflated, isn't going to cut it.

Obligatory, 'we drove to Greensboro' to watch the pitiful Staak teams. Even were rewarded with a huge upset of UNC in 1988.

We had no hope but we still attended the games.

On the bad home losses, might not have been 15 points but Staak was losing to Sienna and others as well.

Maybe our fanbase was not as spoiled back then, Tacey had some good years and some bad years so it was up and down. We went because it was our schools and ACC basketball.

If Buzz loses the games he is supposed to win then we will be looking at a new coach and some excitement for the first time in a long time.

In 1 1/2 seasons, Bz has already lost 10(!) Home games by 15+ points. That is why people arent going to our games. I'd like to know how many 15 point home losses Odom, Skip, and Dino had together.

You're just picking an arbitrary number. Why is 15 worse than 11? Why not pick 25?

Do the same thing with total home wins and losses. It'll make just as much sense.

So the argument is that is we were losing by 7-11 points instead of 15 points THEN our crowds would be way better? Really?

All I know is it was very sad to see the game atmosphere at the Joel last nigth vs. UNC when it hasn't been long ago at all that we had great home court advantages at the Joel, especially against UNC. 2005 and 2009, the Joel was rocking and it was our house when we played UNC, last night it might as well have been any neutral arena in the country. :(

Obligatory, 'we drove to Greensboro' to watch the pitiful Staak teams. Even were rewarded with a huge upset of UNC in 1988.

We had no hope but we still attended the games.

On the bad home losses, might not have been 15 points but Staak was losing to Sienna and others as well.

Maybe our fanbase was not as spoiled back then, Tacey had some good years and some bad years so it was up and down. We went because it was our schools and ACC basketball.

You're a better fan than most. I mean that both sincerely and sarcastically.

At the risk of opening up a whole new can of worms, what are the chances that some of our good recruits we have had in the past say 6-8 years came partly because they wanted to play in a place like the joel?

I'd have to imagine that a visiting recruit in say 2008 would have had a much more positive experience than a visiting recruit in 2012.

I'm not saying atmosphere would be the deciding factor for recruits, but I'd say our current atmosphere won't inspire too many of them.

Also, using attendance numbers as the end-all and be-all of the state of fan support is skewed- does Bzzz get credit for all the Tar Heel Blue in the crowd last night? It'll certainly improve our average for the year.

You're just picking an arbitrary number. Why is 15 worse than 11? Why not pick 25?

Do the same thing with total home wins and losses. It'll make just as much sense.

So the argument is that is we were losing by 7-11 points instead of 15 points THEN our crowds would be way better? Really?

Yes if you lose games 62-55 or 64-54 then most likely you were in the game at some point and had a chance to win. If you are losing multiple games by scores of 72-55 or 60-45 then it probably means that the game was decided long before the last tv timeout. In addition, if you are losing by a smaller margin, then you will come back and pull off some come from behind wins because you are closer to winning.

Fans can take losing a lot better than being annihilated.

At the risk of opening up a whole new can of worms, what are the chances that some of our good recruits we have had in the past say 6-8 years came partly because they wanted to play in a place like the joel?

I'd have to imagine that a visiting recruit in say 2008 would have had a much more positive experience than a visiting recruit in 2012.

I'm not saying atmosphere would be the deciding factor for recruits, but I'd say our current atmosphere won't inspire too many of them.

It certainly didn't hurt. We had built up a pretty good rep as having a good home court advantage and "Tie-Dye Nation" got some pretty play for awhile, but it's like all the energy and euthusiam has been sucked right out of our program.

Good lord, people. You don't need to defend yourself for not driving X hours to watch this crap. I had the choice of a mediocre Washington Capitals game versus the Wake game on television and pushing the remote control button to turn from the hockey was a bit too much to ask. The ACC is not relevant and Wake is at the bottom of the conference (or close to it). I did turn it on AFTER the hockey game, but simply saw a team of low division I level talent with a couple of guys who are solid ACC players (McKie and Harris). We will see if next year's class will save the program, but we said the same thing about Terrell, Chennault and others. I think we have a couple of ACC players coming in next year and 4 "projects" who will be role players in 3-4 years at best. I hope I am underestimating the talent.

Yes if you lose games 62-55 or 64-54 then most likely you were in the game at some point and had a chance to win. If you are losing multiple games by scores of 72-55 or 60-45 then it probably means that the game was decided long before the last tv timeout. In addition, if you are losing by a smaller margin, then you will come back and pull off some come from behind wins because you are closer to winning.

Fans can take losing a lot better than being annihilated.

Agreed, I just took it for granted that people knew if you were losing by 15+ that people don't want to keep watching beatdown after beatdown.

9 of our 12 home conference games under Bzzzz have been double digits losses, with quite a few blowouts.

No wonder nobody is showing up.

I think it's less about being a fan and more about the economy. If you have a family you might stretch the budget if the team is really good but under the circumstance you aren't going there. It's just the way it is.

I read over on Dan's blog a comment left by someone who said that the Carolina fans started a "Tar Heel" and drowned out the few students in attendance who tried to counter with a "Wake Forest" chant. True?

I read over on Dan's blog a comment left by someone who said that the Carolina fans started a "Tar Heel" and drowned out the few students in attendance who tried to counter with a "Wake Forest" chant. True?

If you were in the Student section, the Wake-Forest chant was much louder :D

I would send my gas and food receipts to Wellman for full reimbursement.

There is a GREAT thought. How about we all on the same day send used tickets and gas receipts to Wellman and ask for full refund.

Back