• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

game atmosphere

Myers (2002) defines learned helplessness as "the hopelessness and resignation learned when a human or animal perceives no control over repeated bad events." :(

Still lost 4,000. A 30% drop in fan support.

That's how fickle "belief" is. Just like K was almost run out of Duke as a failure. Just like Indiana spent the first half of this season bashing the students for not showing up.

Attendance is about the herd. The only thing the herd cares about is winning.

Attendance is about the herd. The only thing the herd cares about is winning.

I disagree to a point. If we play Carolina down to the wire last night and lose, we have a substantially better crowd at the next game. If we don't lose to NC State by 40, and play competitively, we have a better crowd for FSU. I thought that us Bzz Out's were supposed to be the "extremists", but it seems that for many people on this board, Bzz should either win every game, or lose by 20-30-40 points at home, and there is no possible middle ground. The game itself is more than just a box score, and that affects the fanbase. Maybe when Bzz stops letting us get embarrassed to death at home, he would get some damn support.

What we need is someone like skip to inspire the fanbase. The joel was pretty dead during the odom years. Was it good at times?, sure. But, when skip got here he made an effort to give us a real home court advantage. I know it is easier to cheer for a winning team, but I didn't see Mr. [Redacted] do anything to attempt to connect with the students or the fans while I was at wake. When you listen to him on the radio after a game he sounds like his dog just died. The man acts like a loser with no confidence. How do you get behind someone like that?

As for the general atmosphere, I am not sure if people are actively not going to send a message, but I have a feeling that a message is being sent.

People don't give a shit, and have no reason to think about giving a shit with [Redacted] in charge. Kind of an "if he doesn't care, why should I?" mentality, I think. I'm not saying he doesn't care, I don't know. But when he interacts with the public he doesn't act like he cares. That, to me, is a big problem. I'm not saying he needs to be Mr. Personality like Skip if that isn't his thing, but he could at least make more of an effort to seem enthusiastic.

The Joel was dead Skip's last two seasons.

The Joel was dead Skip's last two seasons.

When you don't win people don't come out. Skip really got the students inspired when he arrived and I think has to be commended for improving the atmosphere compared to what it was when he got there. I do recall people saying during Skips last couple of seasons that he needed to spend time worrying about the team and less time about the crowd and students.

I know many fans love the example of Coach K struggling at the start and then he becomes a winner and the fans look stupid for wanting him run out of town. But here's the reality, the Coach K's are few and far between. Every coach that struggles may use that has an example but the coaches that turn into K are, to put it politely, very slim and few end up that way. Maybe it happens with Bz but the chances aren't great that it does unless you're enamored with the job he did at Air Force and Colorado.

Keep,

While I agree we lost a little crowd mojo in Skip 's last 2 years there's no comparison to where we are now. Our brand is taking a beating...Wake fans have never had a problem with L's as long as we were competitive or had hopes of being competitive soon. God now to just aspire to be LOWF.

When you don't win people don't come out. Skip really got the students inspired when he arrived and I think has to be commended for improving the atmosphere compared to what it was when he got there. I do recall people saying during Skips last couple of seasons that he needed to spend time worrying about the team and less time about the crowd and students.

I know many fans love the example of Coach K struggling at the start and then he becomes a winner and the fans look stupid for wanting him run out of town. But here's the reality, the Coach K's are few and far between. Every coach that struggles may use that has an example but the coaches that turn into K are, to put it politely, very slim and few end up that way. Maybe it happens with Bz but the chances aren't great that it does unless you're enamored with the job he did at Air Force and Colorado.

It's just one example. If Butler sucks again next year even the mighty Brad Stevens will see his attendance plummet. Indiana fans have been bashing the students all year for not showing up.

I loved Skip and he did a hell of a job improving the atmosphere at the Joel with the limited changes that could be made. But during that 3 win season you didn't see emails about meeting on the quad at midnight. That stuff is icing on the cake made of W's from a good team.

Win first. Icing 2nd. Skip won 94 games in his first 4 seasons at Wake. That is some serious damn cake.

The damage being done to the brand is getting done by losing. Complaining that our fan turnout would be far superior if only [Redacted] would put on a clown suit and juggle for the students is laughable.

It's just one example. If Butler sucks again next year even the mighty Brad Stevens will see his attendance plummet. Indiana fans have been bashing the students all year for not showing up.

I loved Skip and he did a hell of a job improving the atmosphere at the Joel with the limited changes that could be made. But during that 3 win season you didn't see emails about meeting on the quad at midnight. That stuff is icing on the cake made of W's from a good team.

Win first. Icing 2nd. Skip won 94 games in his first 4 seasons at Wake. That is some serious damn cake.

The damage being done to the brand is getting done by losing. Complaining that our fan turnout would be far superior if only [Redacted] would put on a clown suit and juggle for the students is laughable.

Agreed with all of that. Skip, Dino, and Dave Odom all won during their first two years here. Bz is halfway through year #2 and still not a real signature win yet alone a post-season birth.

Agreed. But Skip got handed Songaila, Howard, Hicks, etc. [Redacted] got handed a big bowl of nonsense with a mandate to clean up the program.

Next year is it. His guys, his system... Better be serious improvement. You want apathy? Have us win 14 or 15 games next year as well. Even I might stop watching games until we fire the guy.

Dan Collins is burning up on the inside about our crowd from last night. He even went as far as to post a video of the 'baby blue' crowd.

The most telling stat on the sheet, though, was 12,865. That’s the attendance that was given, which means there were probably not that many more than 10,000 in the building. The arch-rival is in town, their fans buy up around half of the tickets sold, and still Wake doesn’t come close to a sellout.

These are hard times for Wake basketball, as hard as I’ve seen in years. Maybe they’ll get better. It’s hard to imagine them getting worse.

http://www.journalnow.net/index.php/mytakeonwake/

Next year is it. His guys, his system... Better be serious improvement. You want apathy? Have us win 14 or 15 games next year as well. Even I might stop watching games until we fire the guy.

I hope so. I hope Bz blows it out of the water next year and we're talking about how he's really turned the program around. My fear is even if he doesn't, it will be spun as success by Bzz fans and Wellman.

so there's a correlation between winning and attendance.

i'm intrigued.

In 1 1/2 seasons, Bz has already lost 10(!) Home games by 15+ points. That is why people arent going to our games. I'd like to know how many 15 point home losses Odom, Skip, and Dino had together.

In 1 1/2 seasons, Bz has already lost 10(!) Home games by 15+ points. That is why people arent going to our games. I'd like to know how many 15 point home losses Odom, Skip, and Dino had together.

Clearly a slow day in my office so I decided to look it up plus I was curious.

Dave Odom had 6.
Skip had 4, 2 during his first year here.
Dino had 0.

So between the 3 of them they had 10 total over a 20 year period.

Dave Odom had 6.
Dino had 0.

That's incredible.

Dave Odom had 6.
Dino had 0.

The hits keep on coming...

How about somebody look up Staak...

I actually went to the media guide and looked Staak up.

In his four years here, Staak had three home losses of more than 15 points. And they were playing the majority of games in Greensboro which was a terrible environment.

Back