• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Game of Thrones Book-Spoiler Thread

Still love the show, but getting worried about the presentation of the real fantasy aspects. The wight scene was disappointing (and they only showed one, not both), and they really won't be able to get away with the direwolves just being Inuit dogs or whatever mix they're using right now come book two, when just one of them is supposed to be able to scatter a squad of soldiers.
Right now, can't see them pulling off the wildling army or the Davos/Melisandre night scene, much less dragons.

Tyrion's awesome, and I think was my #1 at this point in the books as well, but Arya ended up jumping him for me; she has the most complex character development in the series, and still no idea where Martin is going with her.

Last edited:
Sorry, thought my statements were broad enough not to be considered spoilers, but amended the above in case I was mistaken.

Tyrion had the best line in the series so far when asked how he'd like to die.

Loved the fight scene with Khal "Road House" Drogo

I live in Austria. That picture might as well be me. I WANT MY TV AND I WANT IT NOW.

Why can pirates do this better media companies? This makes absolutely no sense at all.

I live in Austria. That picture might as well be me. I WANT MY TV AND I WANT IT NOW.

Why can pirates do this better media companies? This makes absolutely no sense at all.

Pirates only care about the technology.

Media companies only care about making money and protecting content.

They used to be closer together because only big companies could afford the bandwidth to push the media to everyone. Then bittorrent was invented and the rest is history.

That comic is pretty much what I went through, then I found a friend who gave in and bought HBO on cable.

After watching the first 3 episodes, I went out and read the book - I have to say they have done a great job in terms of sticking to the plot lines and developing most of the main characters. Most of the differences are in minor characters or are done to expedite the plot line.

I agree with Knight, the dire wolves don't even look like wolves - and we barely see them. I also pictured Hodor much younger, and could have done with the cock shot.

Yeah, the wolves are weak. They simply can't be done by live dogs, at least fully grown; I just couldn't buy an Inuit dog tearing off Great Jon's fingers just like that, and no way they can expect us to believe these things are the terrors on the battlefield they're supposed to be. I guess it could be viewed though that they're still growing. Dany isn't as far along in her pregnancy as she was by this point in the books either, so if less than half a year has passed since the start (doesn't seem reasonable given travel times, but whatever), I guess it could handwaved. Still:

The effects have become my greatest concern; nothing they've done so far has suggested they can pull off Dany's dragons, and those can't be shoved off to the side or downplayed even in a more 'realistic' presentation like the direwolves. I guess we have to hope that when guys like Bean and Addy come off the payroll and with an established audience, then they'll have more room to budget for CGI?

Yeah, the wolves are weak. They simply can't be done by live dogs, at least fully grown; I just couldn't buy an Inuit dog tearing off Great Jon's fingers just like that, and no way they can expect us to believe these things are the terrors on the battlefield they're supposed to be. I guess it could be viewed though that they're still growing. Dany isn't as far along in her pregnancy as she was by this point in the books either, so if less than half a year has passed since the start (doesn't seem reasonable given travel times, but whatever), I guess it could handwaved. Still:

The effects have become my greatest concern; nothing they've done so far has suggested they can pull off Dany's dragons, and those can't be shoved off to the side or downplayed even in a more 'realistic' presentation like the direwolves. I guess we have to hope that when guys like Bean and Addy come off the payroll and with an established audience, then they'll have more room to budget for CGI?

i am pretty confident the wolves have been used sparingly because it's cheaper and easier not to show them. all they really did in the first book is save bran, find the hand, take the greatjon's fingers, die (sansa's) and run away (arya's). all show in the show, however, briefly. other than that they howled a lot for bran ran around (winterfell and the wall).

the real question is what happens in season two when they are on stage more. i suspect they will need to use costly cgi but with lower production costs -not having to build some of the major sets- they might have it in the budget. of course good luck with the battle on the blackwater...

another cgi problem

the melisandre/onion knight scene where she gives 'birth' to the evil assassin thingy

another cgi problem

the melisandre/onion knight scene where she gives 'birth' to the evil assassin thingy

that has got to be easier though. all black/shades of grey. no fur. does not really need to respond much to the environment. plenty of effects issues coming up in the later books. huge battles, the faceless men.

just thinking about it gets me ramped up and dying to know if they will continue on to season three. i have to think if they announce a season 3 (around the time season two is coming out they may need to announce season 3 and 4 together since book three is so large)

i am pretty confident the wolves have been used sparingly because it's cheaper and easier not to show them. all they really did in the first book is save bran, find the hand, take the greatjon's fingers, die (sansa's) and run away (arya's). all show in the show, however, briefly. other than that they howled a lot for bran ran around (winterfell and the wall).

the real question is what happens in season two when they are on stage more. i suspect they will need to use costly cgi but with lower production costs -not having to build some of the major sets- they might have it in the budget. of course good luck with the battle on the blackwater...

More or less true, though there's already been at least one stark and nonsensical omission of them with the hunting scene where Bran is taken by the wildings. However, by downplaying them now, it may be more jarring for new audiences when they suddenly take on more importance in later seasons and (hopefully) become horse-sized killing machines.

But yeah, even past those, the dragons, and the Melisandre magic, I have no idea how they approach the river battle or wildling army filled with giants and mammoths. The next episode will be a bit telling to see how well they manage to portray a run of the mill battle as a starting point.

More or less true, though there's already been at least one stark and nonsensical omission of them with the hunting scene where Bran is taken by the wildings. However, by downplaying them now, it may be more jarring for new audiences when they suddenly take on more importance in later seasons and (hopefully) become horse-sized killing machines.

But yeah, even past those, the dragons, and the Melisandre magic, I have no idea how they approach the river battle or wildling army filled with giants and mammoths. The next episode will be a bit telling to see how well they manage to portray a run of the mill battle as a starting point.

I'm most worried that they'll do what ROME did and just show the start to the battle and then the aftermath. That will royally piss me off

I don't think it will be quite as bush league as Rome (the blurry slow-mo of two people fighting) but it certainly won't be Lord of the Rings style. I'm hoping for first scene of Gladiator type production. I saw the making of that scene and they had less than 40 real people (if I remember correctly).

Back