• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Game of Thrones Book-Spoiler Thread

I'd also say if you're going to write out spoilers, make sure you tell people that they are future book spoilers...

Is it ok to discuss spoilers in this thread? I need to verify that I have the story straight as it pertains to this episode.

i think "spoilers" from what has aired would be fine. Not from those of us who have read the books though.

Ok, this is my understanding from last night's show only....

The King married the Lannister sister, who has a twin brother (whom she is screwing) and a dwarf brother.

The King's right hand man recently died of "fever" but his widow (whom we have not seen yet) thinks that he was murdered. The widow is sister to Ed Stark's wife (sister-in-law). Stark is taking over the deceased man's spot.

The King was in love with Stark's sister, but she died young--presumably at the hands of a Targaryen (the blondes). The Targaryens are in exile across the narrow sea.

His name is Eddard but goes by Ned. Other than that you've got it.

Ok, this is my understanding from last night's show only....
[/COLOR]

You have it nailed.

If anyone needs a solid explanation on what is going on after the first episode, I think you can highlight what Wake4estMike wrote in white and not get too overly spoiled.

John from Cinci bombed and was generally unwatchable (I stuck around b/c I wanted to see the payoff, and was ultimately disappointed). Carnivale was popular and well-done, and ended because HBO failed to renew, not because the series wasn't good or popular (though obviously it was never the phenomenon that True Blood has become).

my bro worked on 2 of those 3

I liked it. There were a few changes from the books (as to be expected), but none of them were absolutely critical to the plot.

I do wish the series didn't open up with the scene north of the wall. I'm aware that it's how the book opens as well, but it really gives you the wrong impression as to what the story is about.

The Dothraki scenes were a little cheesy too but the actress pulled of Daenerys perfectly.

I look forward to things ramping up in King's Landing. One thing that makes me love the story so much is that the books were literally impossible (for me at least) to predict. It does not follow a traditional narrative arc at all. I just hope viewers stick with it to give it a fair shot.

So I shouldn't expect much more of the blue eyed monsters? Disappoint me in white out language.

So I shouldn't expect much more of the blue eyed monsters? Disappoint me in white out language.

You'll see more of them, they just aren't frequently present and I was worried it would put off people who didn't want a supernatural angle presented so early. The show stayed true to the books in this regard, and it's understandable why they (both Martin and the show creators) did it, but it's just a personal preference of mine in that I would have opened with a different scene

You'll see more of them, they just aren't frequently present and I was worried it would put off people who didn't want a supernatural angle presented so early. The show stayed true to the books in this regard, and it's understandable why they (both Martin and the show creators) did it, but it's just a personal preference of mine in that I would have opened with a different scene

I totally understand, it threw my dad off and had I not been there basically making him watch to the end (I think he'll keep watching from here out) he would have tuned away. I, on the other hand, thought it was creepy and awesome.

Yes, its important to set the mood...what is Beyond the Wall casts a shadow over Westernos.

I'm hesitant to get too invested just thinking about the HBO numbers game. This show need to kill to keep it on the books with two other very expensive shows in Boardwalk and True Blood. I'm still mad at BBC for killing Rome and HBO for killing Deadwood. At least my other three favorites (Oz, Sopranos and The Wire) got to run their course.

Although, I think I read that Boardwalk was mainly upfront cost with the set so maybe it won't be a huge issue. I know they'll be glad to get the now surely bloated Entourage salaries out of the way.

Early reports are that it got a 1.6 on the Neilsen, which compared to Boardwalk's 2.8 for its series opener, clearly not as good.

BUT, we're also talking about a big difference in genre and GoT got zero lead in audience whereas Boardwalk had True Blood which averages above a 2.0 to lead in, plus the name recognition.

Hopefully the audience builds as more people talk about it, but anything on HBO above a 1.5 is doing great.

hbo has gone on record saying that they killed rome too early. it was very very expensive to make (in large part filming in italy) and they killed it prior to season two airing (or at least finishing) so they did not know how popular it would become. they also did not figure dvd sales into the mix. if they had waited a little longer they would have done another season.

and boardwalk had a lot of up front cost (as you said). it was something like 50 million to make season one because they built the boardwalk set. that makes season two drastically cheaper.

i am really excited about the renewal. love the books and thought they did a pretty good job with the translation to hbo. you'll never match a great book but they seem to be making a very good show that will be accessible to non fantasy fans.

tdunk. i would agree with your recommendation. enjoy the season before reading the first book. you will see some minor changes but the book will give so much more detail and background that you will be pretty pleased. only problem is you just might read every book as quick as you can get to them afterwards.

Back