• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Game of Thrones Book-Spoiler Thread

you can easily knock 2 out if you go to the beach for a week...I'm so looking forward to reading the new one when I go to topsail in august

you can easily knock 2 out if you go to the beach for a week...I'm so looking forward to reading the new one when I go to topsail in august

I'm thinking about making the first few my next buys. I am reading a book now. As soon as that is done, I will begin GoT.

Lately I have decided when to go to bed based on the chapter AFTER the next one I have to read. If it is Jon, Tyrion or Cat I stay awake (I'm 70% through book 2). If it's Dany, Bran, Sansa or Davos I go to sleep. Arya depends on how tired I am.

Bran is the surefire sleep time guy, followed closely by Sansa.

Wow you just described me last 2 weeks. Book 2 draaaggss in the middle a bit. Ready to get to book 3.

Started the 1st last night, and next thing I know I'm close to 100 pages in. Like everyone has said, it reads very quickly. So far the series seems pretty true to the books.

This series is ridiculously good. It's going to sell a lot of HBO subscriptions. No way they bail before season 3.

It's good enough that I think I'll read the books after each season in prep for the next one... I don't want to know what's coming. The Stark execution has to be one of the greatest scenes on TV in a while. Reminded me of the opening "inside the hatch" sequence of Lost, the Carousel Mad Men scene, The Wire's Wallace episode... Just ridiculously good.

Ok, I'll admit that for all my worrying, I was pleasantly surprised by the dragons; they looked good. Hopefully it stays that way when they start growing, flying, and fire spewing. Now can we please get the direwolves CGI'ed next year and done right? Please?

Thought they were a bit heavy-handed with the Ned's dead and corpse stuff after handling the execution so well, but have to admit that scene with Joffrey was effective; probably the first time I've ever felt sympathy for Sansa. Not sure how much of it is genetics with that face and how much is acting, but god that Joffrey kid was born for this role and being despised.

Also, Littlefinger and Varys are total win on the show; one of the best things about the series is being able to see more of them when Martin can't really POV them in the books simply because they know way too much.

Sansa and Bran are definitely the worst of the Stark children when it comes to reading. I don't dislike Bran, but none of his chapters ever really grabbed me either, albeit I do kinda like most of the companions he gets. Sansa is just atrocious until later in the series, when she finally becomes mildly tolerable and then still is basically carried by the other characters in her chapters. Dany, Tyrion, and Arya were the hands-down best for me, then I guess Jon and Jaime in the next tier as still fun but much more predictable and kinda cliche.

Hoping Bran finally starts to pick up in book 5, though I remain more interested in Coldhands (Benjen?) than him and hopefully finally starting to learn more about the Others. Even with the warg and green dream abilities, it's just hard to make a cripple kid more than a sympathetic but kinda dull protagonist in this setting, mostly just him watching others do stuff.

I think we're getting a bit too into spoiler territory with people insinuating who will be alive later in the series theoretically.

The spoiler tag is not working correctly for me at the moment apparently, so I'll go with white.
I liked Arya's chapters until the 4th book when she did a bunch of nothing. The Faceless Man thing is intriguing, but she just spun her wheels for the most part in AFFC. Dany is hit or miss for me. I find her story interesting, but disconnected from the larger plot frequently, so I have trouble staying as interested. I also didn't mind Catelyn's chapters because you saw Robb and the war through her eyes. I never found her interesting exactly, but what happened in her chapters often was. The consistently high quality chapters to me are Jaime and Tyrion, with Jon close behind. I also like Davos more than most people it seems.

Last edited:
Goddammit, stop talking about future seasons and books. Y'all should start a new thread for that shit.

this. ive stopped checking this thread because of it.

next season we'll start a "GOT TV Series Thread" free of book talk.

I think we're getting a bit too into spoiler territory with people insinuating who will be alive later in the series theoretically.

The spoiler tag is not working correctly for me at the moment apparently, so I'll go with white.
I liked Arya's chapters until the 4th book when she did a bunch of nothing. The Faceless Man thing is intriguing, but she just spun her wheels for the most part in AFFC. Dany is hit or miss for me. I find her story interesting, but disconnected from the larger plot frequently, so I have trouble staying as interested. I also didn't mind Catelyn's chapters because you saw Robb and the war through her eyes. I never found her interesting exactly, but what happened in her chapters often was. The consistently high quality chapters to me are Jaime and Tyrion, with Jon close behind. I also like Davos more than most people it seems.

Only really a spoiler if you get into specific books or timelines, since just being a POV character is hardly a guarantee of survival in this series and some mentioned have died. Still, point taken, easy to take it for granted if you've read the books; apologies to anyone if I've offended along those lines

Arya didn't do a lot in relation to the main plot in book 4, but I just like seeing her character continue to develop in a fascinating way between the increasingly dark path she's on, the identity crisis stuff, and her training. Moreover, she's the one character I don't really have a sense, or feel like I do anyway, for what Martin will do with, which makes it more fun to try and figure out what's going to happen with her; I thought she'd become an avenging angel vigilante type that would be the one to kill Joffrey and/or Tywin, but now almost all of her Valor Morghulis list has been dealt with. Conversely, while Cat was much more involved in the story during her POV tenure, I just never liked her character; she repeatedly made stupid choices while being neither charasmatic nor interesting. Davos I don't mind and he did grow on me a little as time went on, but I remain more interested in simply seeing what Melisandre is up to (or getting more of the Blackwater battle) than what actually happens to him in his chapters.

I agree w/ you Eagles on Arya.

Seriously folks, its time to read the books.

I have no desire to read the books. I like watching the show, but that's it.

I really want to read the books, but I enjoyed the show so much I would hate to have to watch it knowing what happens.

Homie don't read?

Homie don't read long ass fantasy shizz. Not my steez. No knocking the genre, but it just isn't my cup of tea. My queue is too long to read something that long anyway.

Homie don't read long ass fantasy shizz. Not my steez. No knocking the genre, but it just isn't my cup of tea. My queue is too long to read something that long anyway.

I think the books are better than the tv show. You just spent at least 10 hours watching the show, you could burn through the book with less than twice that investment in time.

I'm amazed how many people scoff at fantasy but love the Game of Thrones show. One girl I work with condescendingly told us how she "stays away from that scary part of the bookstore where all the nerds hang out" and then went on to say how much she loves the tv show. DENIAL AIN'T JUST A RIVER IN EGYPT.

There are genres of literature I find far more compelling than fantasy. There's not many better made TV shows out there.

So I'm working from home today, and have the episodes playing in the backgrouns. Something struck me:

In the second episode before they leave for King's Landing, Robb comes to bid adieu to Bran. After he tells Cat he's going to the wall, she gets all salty toward him. Any clue as to why this is? Has she always been rude to him because of what he represents or was it just because she was about to have her husband leave with Robert again?

So I'm working from home today, and have the episodes playing in the backgrouns. Something struck me:

In the second episode before they leave for King's Landing, Robb comes to bid adieu to Bran. After he tells Cat he's going to the wall, she gets all salty toward him. Any clue as to why this is? Has she always been rude to him because of what he represents or was it just because she was about to have her husband leave with Robert again?

I assume you are talking about Jon, but yeah his relationship with Cat is a strained one. She resents him for being Ned's bastard, rather than resenting Ned for fathering one. It's fleshed out a little more in the book but the gist of it is she's never liked him and has never accepted him as part of the family.

Yep, pretty much what has been said above. Catelyn despises Jon, though her anger would be better directed at Ned if that is her feelings on the subject. Apparently in Westeros, having a bastard while away at war is commonplace, and she didn't have a problem with Ned being with another woman, but you are apparently supposed to leave your bastard behind if you father one. Ned bringing Jon home with him is what irked Catelyn, and she has directed her anger at Jon.

Back