• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Game of Thrones - House of the Dragon - (and beyond) Discussion (spoilers allowed)

a quick note regarding the book 4-5 split for those that may no know. (No Spoilers)

martin was originally working on a plan that book four would occur five years after the end of book three. after a few years of writing with this plan he decided that it did not work. he scrapped the plan and wrote the story that occurred during that gap. after writing that story for 5 years he was still having some difficulty with some of the character arcs. he also had written a lot of stuff. in order to release a book for the fans (and publishers) he decided the best "book" would be fewer characters and their entire story arc. that is the basic reason for the division of characters.

it certainly was disappointing not getting all your favorite characters in book 4 but in hindsight, after reading book 5, it made sense to do. won't get into the argument about whether or not some stuff in both of those books was just filler. i think we won't know that answer until after the final book.

except i dont think anyones story arc really wrapped up and now we will just have to wait til book 6 if book 5 just dealt with other characters. Isi t worth reading all of book 5 or just jumping to where the stories merge?

the stories merge the last 1/3 of ADWD. Most of the real resolutions though seem slated for book 6, but you do get some PoV chapters towards the end of book 5 from characters in book 4, just not many.

Its been a while since I read the books but seemed to me that this is picking up speed at a massive pace. Some things last night, I don't recall in the books and a lot of things seemed to be left out. Going directly to Quarth and leaving out the empty city seemed to paint a different picture of Dani. And I love how they are painting Joffrey - very dark Marquis de Sade, where as in the books, I felt he was more just a spoiled and self indulgent brat

Its been a while since I read the books but seemed to me that this is picking up speed at a massive pace. Some things last night, I don't recall in the books and a lot of things seemed to be left out. Going directly to Quarth and leaving out the empty city seemed to paint a different picture of Dani. And I love how they are painting Joffrey - very dark Marquis de Sade, where as in the books, I felt he was more just a spoiled and self indulgent brat

Yeah, I remember the first say 600 pages of both Clash of Kings and Storm of Swords being relatively slow the first 600 pages then all the action happenning in the last 400, meaning the episodes are definitely accelerating some of the kings landing and dragonstone storylines. Dannerys timeline seems accurate, as that whole story develops very very slowly. I forget the empty city you refer to in her storyline, but I do remember a big scene with a witch but it happenned after Qarth I thought.

except i dont think anyones story arc really wrapped up and now we will just have to wait til book 6 if book 5 just dealt with other characters. Isi t worth reading all of book 5 or just jumping to where the stories merge?

of course not there are two more books (at least). i just meant that those two books were split into an entire character arc for each book. Rather than have character a be split in half for two books it was all in one and then none in the other. of course as mentioned after about 2/3 of the book there were a few characters that showed back up for 1-2 chapters.

Yeah, I remember the first say 600 pages of both Clash of Kings and Storm of Swords being relatively slow the first 600 pages then all the action happenning in the last 400, meaning the episodes are definitely accelerating some of the kings landing and dragonstone storylines. Dannerys timeline seems accurate, as that whole story develops very very slowly. I forget the empty city you refer to in her storyline, but I do remember a big scene with a witch but it happenned after Qarth I thought.

during their trip through the desert they found a dead city with vegetation, water etc that allowed her small group to survive until xaxos sp? showed up later to save her and take her to qarth. a small difference but it still worked.

the speed of events definitely appears to be picking up. i wish they were doing 12-13 episodes rather than just ten but i can understand the dance they are attempting with regards to keep the budget as low as possible.

The empty city they found and took refuge in before heading on to Qarth, where she was faced with the question of does she keep going or does she stop and provide a home for her tired calizar. My best memory was her and the fig tree in the courtyard providing needed food. In last nights show, they removed that portion to make her more desperate and forceful once she found Qarth

Dany is annoying me with her penchant for making threats/bold statements she is in no position to make good one. I get they are trying to set her up as a strong female character, especially in contrast to how she was at the beginning of last season, but I think they go a bit over the top. Within the same vein I wish I could punch Martin in his fat gut for the abomination he has turned her story-line into in the books.

How many people randomly throughout the day get the GoT theme song stuck in their heads?

How many people randomly throughout the day get the GoT theme song stuck in their heads?

All the time.

What a great episode, this show just absolutely rocks and we haven't even scratched the surface.

I was kind of disappointed about the choice for the birthing, its not a smoke monster, its a shadow and I thought it could have been done in the same creepy way but not look like the Smoke Monster from Lost.

This show is fucking amazing. I can't believe the shadow thing killed Renly. I did not see that coming.

I thought this was the best ep of the season actually. Loved the arya/tywin dynamic.

I agree. This was my favorite episode of the season. So many things being setup right now and can't wait to see how it all unfolds. If I wasn't reading a book a week right now for work I would love to delve into the Game of Thrones books.

Last nights episode was good but a little confusing as far as the deviations from the books. It's been a while but wasn't it Bolton that was at Herren Hall and not Lannister in the books?

Last nights episode was good but a little confusing as far as the deviations from the books. It's been a while but wasn't it Bolton that was at Herren Hall and not Lannister in the books?

Pretty much everything about Harrenhall has been melded together to create a different setting. When Lannister was there, Arya was the stablegirl. He left and when Bolton came in, she became his cupbearer at that point.

I thought last nights episode was great - the killing of Renly still gets me. I like the Arya portrayals a lot - I didn't think Harrenhal would be in as much disrepair, but they have really done well there.

Over the wall, I am still waiting for some action - I got it because I read, but it seems somewhat confusing right now. Also, the whole Winterfell/Bran angle they have had a tough time with - again, I get it, but I have to constantly explain what is going on.

Also, still not sure why they made Asha so ugly - she is quite unfortunate

Back