• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Game of Thrones - House of the Dragon - (and beyond) Discussion (spoilers allowed)

The lack of Bronn in the finale made me a sad panda.

Mance Rayder
Daario Naharis
Jojen Reed; Meera Reed
Edmure Tully
Ser Brynden Tully
Lady Selyse Florent (Stannis Baratheon’s wife)
Shireen (Stannis’ daughter)
Olenna Redwyne (The Queen of Thorns): Margaery Tyrell’s sharp-witted grandmother.
Beric Dondarrion and the Brotherhood Without Banners.
Thoros of Myr
Tormund Giantsbane

Plus some others the producers haven't released yet

Most recent reports have GoT at 10.3 million viewers per episode this season making it the third most popular HBO show ever. I was a fan of this episode overall but it definitely lacked the epicness of Ned dying and Dany getting her babies last season. Seeing Drogo again was cool and the dragon-ravaged throne room was excellent. Show producers are now considering covering the whole third book rather than roughly half as had been discussed in the past.

That third to last guy is my favorite character thus far (halfway through Feast)

Mance Rayder
Daario Naharis
Jojen Reed; Meera Reed
Edmure Tully
Ser Brynden Tully
Lady Selyse Florent (Stannis Baratheon’s wife)
Shireen (Stannis’ daughter)
Olenna Redwyne (The Queen of Thorns): Margaery Tyrell’s sharp-witted grandmother.
Beric Dondarrion and the Brotherhood Without Banners.
Thoros of Myr
Tormund Giantsbane

Plus some others the producers haven't released yet

Most recent reports have GoT at 10.3 million viewers per episode this season making it the third most popular HBO show ever. I was a fan of this episode overall but it definitely lacked the epicness of Ned dying and Dany getting her babies last season. Seeing Drogo again was cool and the dragon-ravaged throne room was excellent. Show producers are now considering covering the whole third book rather than roughly half as had been discussed in the past.

Damn, the third book is so much better than the rest. Nice to see the high ratings. Hopefully the show keeps getting renewed......more importantly, hopefully this forces Martin to finish the damn series more quickly.

I have seen the show comment on how they are limited by the number of characters they can introduce, and as a result kind of have to pick and choose the most important characters so as not to overwhelm the audience. I understand this completely, but with that list there seems to be a few characters that don't seem to be completely necessary, as well as some pretty important omissions.

I know this list isn't final, so we may still see a few more characters....but having said that....

Stannis's wife and daughter don't seem to be important enough in a series with so many characters.

Dondarrion is a must.

Darrio will give the chick viewers a hot dude to ogle.

The Red Viper better make an appearance. He has the potential to be such a great character with one of the greatest scenes.

Vargo should probably be there as well.

The addition of both Mance and Tormund, combined with the already present Rattleshirt and the ending of season two seems to point to the show putting a greater emphasis on the going ons north of the wall. I might be in the minority, but the political treachery amongst the great houses of the seven kingdoms is what I love most about the series.

There is so much to work with in the third book. Hopefully the show knocks it out of the park.

I keep hoping more people are discussing the show, but every new post is discussions of the books. Boooo.

Really liked the finale and this season. Bummed it's over already. No idea what to expect with the white walker army. Confused a little with the Jon Snow situation. Looking forward to finding out what happened with/to Theon. Thought the Jamie/Brienne (sp?) scene was kind of a waste but I guess that is an important situation to keep tabs on. Really surprised by the Sansa storyline. Dany is a badass, as always. Neat scenes with her.

Halfhand forced Jon's hand, he told Jon that a Night's Watchman inside Mance Rayder's operation would be worth more than anything...

okay I thought I remembered some sort of little plotting, but I couldn't be sure. thanks.

I have really enjoyed both HBO seasons, but I am definitely the kind of person that reads the novels first.

Since I haven't yet read these, I hope to do it later this summer. Some people recommended just skipping the first novel since the plot mirrors the first television season so well, but there is no way i'm doing that. I hope I can find another one of those wal mart deals on the books.

Damn, the third book is so much better than the rest. Nice to see the high ratings. Hopefully the show keeps getting renewed......more importantly, hopefully this forces Martin to finish the damn series more quickly.

I have seen the show comment on how they are limited by the number of characters they can introduce, and as a result kind of have to pick and choose the most important characters so as not to overwhelm the audience. I understand this completely, but with that list there seems to be a few characters that don't seem to be completely necessary, as well as some pretty important omissions.

I know this list isn't final, so we may still see a few more characters....but having said that....

Stannis's wife and daughter don't seem to be important enough in a series with so many characters.

Dondarrion is a must.

Darrio will give the chick viewers a hot dude to ogle.

The Red Viper better make an appearance. He has the potential to be such a great character with one of the greatest scenes.

Vargo should probably be there as well.

The addition of both Mance and Tormund, combined with the already present Rattleshirt and the ending of season two seems to point to the show putting a greater emphasis on the going ons north of the wall. I might be in the minority, but the political treachery amongst the great houses of the seven kingdoms is what I love most about the series.

There is so much to work with in the third book. Hopefully the show knocks it out of the park.

Book 3 is being split into two seasons. The Red Viper doesn't make an entrance until about halfway through the book, so I'd expect them to just postpone introducing him until the beginning of season 4. No chance he gets cut.

They're also taking auditions for Hoat.

I have really enjoyed both HBO seasons, but I am definitely the kind of person that reads the novels first.

Since I haven't yet read these, I hope to do it later this summer. Some people recommended just skipping the first novel since the plot mirrors the first television season so well, but there is no way i'm doing that. I hope I can find another one of those wal mart deals on the books.

It's possible to start at book 2 since the first season mirrored book 1 pretty closely, but you get so much backstory reading the books and they are such good books that there's no reason to skip any. Book1 is a really quick read.

Aside from some plot gripes here and there (and the fact that they made Dany almost unbearable this season), the only thing I miss with the TV series is the characters who they can't fit in via dialogue. For example (and this isn't a spoiler), you learn a lot about Dany's older brother, Rhaegar (the man who had Ned's sister, and led to Robert going to war) in the books to the point where he is almost a fully fleshed out character, whereas in the show, I think his name has been mentioned twice. I don't know how you'd do it any other way, but I do miss that sort of stuff in the show.

It's possible to start at book 2 since the first season mirrored book 1 pretty closely, but you get so much backstory reading the books and they are such good books that there's no reason to skip any. Book1 is a really quick read.

Aside from some plot gripes here and there (and the fact that they made Dany almost unbearable this season), the only thing I miss with the TV series is the characters who they can't fit in via dialogue. For example (and this isn't a spoiler), you learn a lot about Dany's older brother, Rhaegar (the man who had Ned's sister, and led to Robert going to war) in the books to the point where he is almost a fully fleshed out character, whereas in the show, I think his name has been mentioned twice. I don't know how you'd do it any other way, but I do miss that sort of stuff in the show.

Yeah my comment on the characters for season three was mostly based on Island's post that the show is considering covering all of book three rather than just half in this next season.

I've gone back and started reading the first book because I'm addicted now. I didn't have the patience to roll through the first book at the time I started the series, because the show mirrors it so closely. Having said that, I agree there is a lot of awesome back story in it, especially when you get to the middle part of the book. In addition to the back story on Rhaeger, the book really goes a lot deeper into the relationship between Robert and the Lannisters.

Also now that I'm caught up on the books, I can respond to this......if you haven't finished the books, you prob shouldn't open these...

People are taking it for granted that Jon isn't dead. Dude took four knives....there is a great chance that he is gone.

I could possibly see him being Rhaeger/Lyanna's son......I guess that could account for him looking like Ned, but iirc, Cat repeatedly notes how similar Jon and Ned look.

Also, would Martin give one character both the Targaryan powers (able to ride a dragon) and the Stark powers (warg)? I dunno

To me, the key is the prologue of Dance with Dragons. There has to be a reason he showed us the ability to warg into something before you die. It's a Chekhov's gun kind of thing, IMO, and with Jon's situation, it makes perfect sense.

I hate that spoilers aren't hidden on my Tapatalk. I always have to shield my eyes from the secrets!

So, here's my problem...(one which I think many of us are facing)...

I started reading the GoT books about a year before the show started. I was able to comfortably read all of the books in time for the show to start. This pleased me, because the pain of not having more to read (magnified by the atrocious writing schedule of Big George) was lessened by the impending cinematics.

However, now that the methadone band-aid has been removed from my festering GoT addiction, I find myself craving again.

What do we do in the meantime?

I just re-read book 3 skipping arya's and the first half of sansa's parts yesterday. Cranked it out in a day.

Back