• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Game of thrones season 5 (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

"welp, we've been fighting against each other for years, but time to cast that all aside to prevent the zombie apocalypse."

"welp, we've been fighting against each other for years, but time to cast that all aside to prevent the zombie apocalypse."

First four seasons are just throwaway with zero impact on the conclusion...

maybe, maybe not; they may not unite. cersei lannister might rather watch the world burn than help out John Snow

maybe, maybe not; they may not unite. cersei lannister might rather watch the world burn than help out John Snow

dany will unite the 7 kingdoms and head north to burn her some white walkers. she'll take cersei with her in drogon's belly.

The whole underlying premise of the show has always been that everything that is happening in the realm doesn't mean anything because winter is coming.

I've read up a bit on the differences with the book, and it seems like there aren't really any spoilers left and non-book readers like me should relax. Certain characters from the books seem to have been cut entirely from the show, which seems like a good idea based on what I've read of one certain character book readers expected to see last season.

I was just getting settled in to watch when all that went down.

Was there an explanation of who the gold mask dude was?

The new religious sect? Why kill grey worm lookalike?

Are the other 2 dragons still locked up?

And good point about the new hubby, his whole "had to make sure everything is in order" stuff was obvious BS, but he wouldn't orchestrate his own death.

The greyscale has to have some purpose.

And is Dany just like peacing out back to the pyramid, or is she like...gone?

So I'm assuming in the finale we see Stannis attempt to take Winterfell, or will that be next season? Are they really going to do another big battle this season?

What was it that the High Sparrow said would be the punishment of Margaery/Loras...Mother's Mercy?...seeing as how that's the title of the last episode, I'm assuming we see that happen. Was it explicitly stated what that would be?

/questions

Really hate that this season is over already.

Why doesn't Martin just write a fucking slasher film?

I mean really.

This was not one of my favorite episodes. To build up Stannis, have him make that ultimate sacrifice and literally just end it in 30 seconds of screen time is a joke. Why did Melisandre act so gung ho, and then the second he walks away from her she takes off? So dumb.

And to try to make Cersei the victim...blah...she had all of one walk down the street to suffer and now she's got an undead monster to kick some ass for her.

I'm over the whole Arya story...just boring.

Shit episode...which means everyone else will love it.

Were we supposed to assume that Brienne was in on that plan? I missed that if so.

THIS THREAD IS TO EXPLAIN TO DEACONSLIM WHAT HE JUST WATCHED ON TELEVISION, NOTHING ELSE

Hopefully you guys answered these important questions, maybe Deaconslim just thinks book readers are ruining the TV show because he misses everything anyways so any information is spoilers.

Preview_zpsh16pto2d.jpg

There's a theory about Tyrion's true parentage. That while Tywin was the Hand of The King to Aerys Targaryen (The Mad King), his wife Joanna got preggers with Aerys. Tywin found out and tried to abort the baby resulting in Joanna's death and Tywin's "deformity", hence all the "You're no son of mine" stuff. Supposedly Tyrion is described with white blond hair and a fascination with dragons in the books. Also, if the other theory that Jon Snow is her half-brother, then she, Jon Snow, and Tyrion would be Targaryen siblings and the riders of her three dragons. Would make sense why Tyrion is now with Daenerys.

In general, the TV show (and maybe the books, too?) are starting to get around to a bunch of supernatural bullshit. The problem with supernatural bullshit is that it moots all the human politics. WGAF about the Lannisters/Tyrells/Starks/Barratheons when there are gods and dragons and zombies that are all way more important?

That's not really a complaint about this show, specifically. I think it's a problem with a lot of sci-fi. As soon as you introduce "the gods" or stuff in another dimension, it gives me a really nihilistic view of any "human" subplots.

It's why the 1st season was by far the best. Focused mostly on politics with very little supernatural.

It's why the 1st season was by far the best. Focused mostly on politics with very little supernatural.

Literally the opening chapter and scene of the book/tv show is the introduction of the ice zombies

and it ended with a young woman emerging from an inferno with three newly hatched dragons

But the vast majority of the 1st season dealt with Lannisters vs Starks and King's Landing politics.

I didn't say it was completely devoid of supernatural, just not focused on supernatural nearly as much as later seasons.

A Nuanced Case Study of Realpolitik and Gritty Human Intrigue . Way better title than A Song of Fire and Ice, fuck you GRRM

Last edited:
Preview_zpsh16pto2d.jpg

There's a theory about Tyrion's true parentage. That while Tywin was the Hand of The King to Aerys Targaryen (The Mad King), his wife Joanna got preggers with Aerys. Tywin found out and tried to abort the baby resulting in Joanna's death and Tywin's "deformity", hence all the "You're no son of mine" stuff. Supposedly Tyrion is described with white blond hair and a fascination with dragons in the books. Also, if the other theory that Jon Snow is her half-brother, then she, Jon Snow, and Tyrion would be Targaryen siblings and the riders of her three dragons. Would make sense why Tyrion is now with Daenerys.

While there is a single line in the book noting Tyrion's blonde hair approaching white, this isn't a huge clue considering the Lannisters are known for having blonde hair. I personally think it is a half-baked theory that is a product of forced dot connecting. For every "clue" that I've seen regarding this theory on the internet I could point to 3x more indicators present in the books that support Tyrion being the son of Tywin and Joanna.

In all seriousness...what is the point of 2 threads if the only distinction is going to be mocked and ignored?

In all seriousness...what is the point of 2 threads if the only distinction is going to be mocked and ignored?

In fairness I started the thread because I thought that the other thread was only dedicated to season four. Then the thread got updated to go to season 5 after season 5 started but there were book spoilers over there so I thought having a separate would still be good. IMO there hasn't been much book talk at all until the last episode ended and people had nothing else to talk about.

Back