• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Game Plan for Tulane

Does Clawson have any "trickeration" in his playbook? I don't recall seeing any in 4 years except the ending the Syracuse game, and that was just a pass on an almost guaranteed run play.

Here's the thing: Hopefully, Hartman can run the RPO. Last year, Wolford's RPO was basically unstoppable. It seemed like there were times we could score at will or always get 8 yards. When the RPO is a well-oiled machine, you don't need trick plays.

One of my favorite 'trick' plays was in the final minute of the Louisville game last year.
We has a solid lead and everyone expected us to take a knee and run out the clock.
Instead, Wolford faked a handoff, then started to run before he pulled up and hit a wide open Chuck Wade for a 46 yd TD.
Couldn't have happened to a better team.
That play also put Wake over 600 yds of offense for only the second time ever.

A few other great trick plays from the past were Riley Skinner to Nate Morton, who then threw back to a wide open Riley on the other side of the field for a TD. Think we ran this 2 or 3 times.

The Nate Morton play got blown up once I think because an opposing coach noticed that Nate would take off his WR gloves when he was going to throw. Those guys don't miss much.

One of my favorite 'trick' plays was in the final minute of the Louisville game last year.
We has a solid lead and everyone expected us to take a knee and run out the clock.
Instead, Wolford faked a handoff, then started to run before he pulled up and hit a wide open Chuck Wade for a 46 yd TD.

A few other great trick plays from the past were Riley Skinner to Nate Morton, who then threw back to a wide open Riley on the other side of the field for a TD. Think we ran this 2 or 3 times.

I was mixed up. I thought that play was against Syracuse. Regardless, Clawson has been pretty lean on the trick plays in his time here.

I remember Morton throwing a bomb to Davis against Miami in 2005. Damn, it was a thing of beauty. Also, I believe that gave us a 17-14 lead. The place was pretty hype, but then talent took over.

Louisville had all of their timeouts (and were using them), so we would not have been able to just take a knee and run out the clock.

I remember Morton throwing a bomb to Davis against Miami in 2005. Damn, it was a thing of beauty. Also, I believe that gave us a 17-14 lead. The place was pretty hype, but then talent took over.

I remember one play in particular. Two of our defenders had great angles on a Miami receiver around the 50. Like, can't miss angles. Miami guy literally outran them both. That's when we headed to the car for a beer.

I remember one play in particular. Two of our defenders had great angles on a Miami receiver around the 50. Like, can't miss angles. Miami guy literally outran them both. That's when we headed to the car for a beer.

For some reason we stayed for the entirety of that game and sullenly listened to the postgame show in the parking lot. Stan was interviewing Chris Davis and he said "This team will win the ACC next season." He said it two or three times and we collectively laughed harder each time. Then 2006 happened and I will never forget what Davis said in that interview.

Former LSU QB Justin McMillan is exploring transferring to Tulane for this season.

I want Hartman to hand-off to his left, then hand off to his right. Repeat. Repeat again. And again. And again. Repeat in second Quarter. Then the third. Let Newman or Bower do it for the fourth. Get on the bus to the airport.

I'm not as confident as you and some others Deac76 that our OL is so good that we can forego throwing the ball to win. Our OL is vastly improved from 2014 but even powerhouse programs don't go around blowing people off the ball and running it down their throats at will.

I agree with Loh. Sure our OL is good, but this isn't late 70's Nebraska or Oklahoma where they just drop a bunch of steak and steroids on the field after practice for the OL to consume. Did you see our offense last year ? Were we consistenly just blowing away FBS D-lines ?

I'm not as confident as you and some others Deac76 that our OL is so good that we can forego throwing the ball to win. Our OL is vastly improved from 2014 but even powerhouse programs don't go around blowing people off the ball and running it down their throats at will.

This. Plus

Wake O-line has spent the last five years practicing blocking for the RPO and passing game as well. Tulane D is pretty green. Let the Wake QB run some designed pass plays and RPO against it. Better to get that first game stuff over with sooner rather than later.

I think we'll definitely be run heavy but will definitely keep Tulane honest with a variety of passes.
Whatever our offense does, I think we'll score at least 30. Wouldn't be surprised to see the D or special teams score either.

I want Hartman to hand-off to his left, then hand off to his right. Repeat. Repeat again. And again. And again. Repeat in second Quarter. Then the third. Let Newman or Bower do it for the fourth. Get on the bus to the airport.

Great way to show confidence in a young quarterback.

Back