• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Game Plan for Tulane

I want Hartman to hand-off to his left, then hand off to his right. Repeat. Repeat again. And again. And again. Repeat in second Quarter. Then the third. Let Newman or Bower do it for the fourth. Get on the bus to the airport.
Yes, I'm sure that will work with 9 guys in the box and the defense knowing which side the run is going to. Great plan.

Definitely a tough game to break in new starting DEs and LBs. I'm thinking & hoping our DTs will do a good job of blowing up the interior OL and creating havoc, causing the QB to make quicker reads than usual. We'll probably see very little, if any, blitzing and stunting, other than on obvious passing downs.

Option teams wear you down. You might blow up their plays early on, but as the game progresses and the DL tires, those plays gain purchase. Happened exactly that way last time we played (and lost to) Army if I recall correctly. Got to have some meaningful depth on the front 7.

don't see why we wouldn't give our new QB some good passing opportunities and a chance to develop chemistry with our receivers against theoretically easier competition rather than waiting and forcing him to figure things out against a better team

Option teams wear you down. You might blow up their plays early on, but as the game progresses and the DL tires, those plays gain purchase. Happened exactly that way last time we played (and lost to) Army if I recall correctly. Got to have some meaningful depth on the front 7.

I think we've got it now. Of course, the best way to make sure they don't wear you down is to get off the field after 3 plays and watch the offense lead sustained scoring drives that eventually force the option team to pass more.

GT absolutely murdered us last year with the option.

Doesn't matter. We're going to run Student Body Left and Student Body Right the whole game and Tulane will hardly even see the ball.

I think we should try to score more points then the other team. Maybe we could try to stop them from scoring, and then when we have the ball we could try to score on them.

GT absolutely murdered us last year with the option.

we had two 3 and outs to start the 3rd quarter which absolutely killed us; our defense was gassed from about midway 3rd quarter

that game perfectly illustrated the pressure that our RPO puts on our defense; even when we scored, we scored quickly, putting the defense back on the field

luckily it won't be hot and humid in the Big Easy...

I think we should try to score more points then the other team. Maybe we could try to stop them from scoring, and then when we have the ball we could try to score on them.

We laugh but go ahead and expect these kinds of threads all year. “On defense I think we need to get some turnovers and limit how much time they’re out on the field...” etc.

We’re going to execute our offense, hopefully using both QBs; we’re going to play tough D; and we will leave with a win. That’s the game plan.

This game isn't being played just for a 18 yr old QB. Just win the game. I'd rather have him go 5-8 for 80 yds and win, than to throw for 300+ and lose. We have this dominant OL just for this year. Colburn and likely Dortch will be gone. Who knows what will happen with TE development. Wolford took 2+ years to become good, and 3+ to become really good. Let the kid survive the game before we ask him to run plays from the 357th page of the playbook.

We laugh but go ahead and expect these kinds of threads all year. “On defense I think we need to get some turnovers and limit how much time they’re out on the field...” etc.

We’re going to execute our offense, hopefully using both QBs; we’re going to play tough D; and we will leave with a win. That’s the game plan.

We ought to have a contest on how many "Coach speak" cliques we could come up with. "We'll put our big people on their big people", "Win the battle of the trenches", "Establish the run". "trickeration"

This game isn't being played just for a 18 yr old QB. Just win the game. I'd rather have him go 5-8 for 80 yds and win, than to throw for 300+ and lose. We have this dominant OL just for this year. Colburn and likely Dortch will be gone. Who knows what will happen with TE development. Wolford took 2+ years to become good, and 3+ to become really good. Let the kid survive the game before we ask him to run plays from the 357th page of the playbook.

Don't have to get to page 357, but it would be good to at least get to page 10 or so. At least get to the page that says "throw pass to Dortch."

don't see why we wouldn't give our new QB some good passing opportunities and a chance to develop chemistry with our receivers against theoretically easier competition rather than waiting and forcing him to figure things out against a better team

Any game plan that does not include multiple opportunities for The Weapon That Is Dortch is not a well-considered one.

If we were going to so some 'trickeration' this year, we'll have good occasion to do that with Hinton on the filed at WR.

Don't have to get to page 357, but it would be good to at least get to page 10 or so. At least get to the page that says "throw pass to Dortch."

I agree. I love Ron Rivera's stance a few years ago. "We run when we want to. We run when we have to. And we'll run when they know we have to. Throw when they have 8 in the box. It will be like watching a cat chase a laser pointer.

we had two 3 and outs to start the 3rd quarter which absolutely killed us; our defense was gassed from about midway 3rd quarter

that game perfectly illustrated the pressure that our RPO puts on our defense; even when we scored, we scored quickly, putting the defense back on the field

luckily it won't be hot and humid in the Big Easy...

The facemask penalty by Jaboree really hurt before half. We should've gone into half up 11 with momentum and receiving the kick. Plays like that before half are huge momentum swings as we witnessed with Wake/Cuse and OU/UGA (moronic idea to squib kick from Lincoln Riley).

I would love the see the collective board meltdown if we find out Ruggerio’s play book doesn’t include getting Dortch a touch till 10 pages in!

Back