• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Game Plan for Tulane

Coach Fritz was good a GA Southern and I expect Tulane to become good under his watch. Hopefully, not in the first game this year.

Expect Tulane to run, run and run some more.

Wake may need to play a defense that puts five large guys on the line. That has been the recipe for stopping triple option attacks. Also why it is not a common offense at FBS schools.

I seriously doubt Sawvel is going to change up his defense for our one game against an option team this year.

Wake may need to play a defense that puts five large guys on the line. That has been the recipe for stopping triple option attacks. Also why it is not a common offense at FBS schools.

It only works because it is different than what everybody is built to defend. If D1 defenses faced it 4 times per year, the 4th team might not cross midfield.

Question for Boston-area Deacs: I'm traveling in New England Thursday night - on what channel (if any) will the game be broadcast? It's on CBSSN. Will I find it up there?

It’s a cable sports channel. A bar will have it. A hotel probably won’t.

I seriously doubt Sawvel is going to change up his defense for our one game against an option team this year.

The counterpoint to this is: Did you see that Georgia Tech game last year?

Yes. Last year was a transition year for the defense. I expect them to stick with a system now.

Though with Towson the following week, I could see a few different looks vs. Tulane which still gives plenty of time to get ready for BC.
In a lot of ways the Tulane game is our most important of the season: get a W on the road which puts us 2-0 for the Thursday night national t.v. contest; lose and the possibility a 1-2 start wrecks a lot of the goals we have going into the season.
So I'm all for doing whatever on both sides of the ball to get out of New Orleans with a victory and a chance at a special season.

Different looks. Sure. But not playing 5 down linemen.

I’m sure this has already been said somewhere, but I think our DBs need to be ready. I’d expect Tulane to air it out against us...

I’m sure this has already been said somewhere, but I think our DBs need to be ready. I’d expect Tulane to air it out against us...

Why? They’re a triple option team, and most people think they’ll pound it on the ground. They’ll definitely throw more than Army or GT, but I’m not expecting them to “air it out” at all, unless we’re completely shutting down the run.

Different looks. Sure. But not playing 5 down linemen.

Would depend on what formation the offense is in. In Tulane comes out in a jumbo set with multiple receiving options covered and unable to legally catch a pass or is in a traditional goal line set on their own 35 wouldn’t surprise me at all to see Wake play 5 down linemen.

Why? They’re a triple option team, and most people think they’ll pound it on the ground. They’ll definitely throw more than Army or GT, but I’m not expecting them to “air it out” at all, unless we’re completely shutting down the run.

It will be interesting to see how well Wake's regular defense does against the triple option at Tulane. They haven't done all that well against other triple option teams. The triple option running attack was devised to exploit certain weaknesses in the four man front, either in the traditional 4-3 front or the 4-2 that Wake plays.

If the offensive center and guards get decent blocks on the two DT's, the fullback dive gets 5-7 yard pretty easily.

Good point and yes, exactly...I expect us to completely shut down the run.

Tulane must play only three down linemen on D. No DT listed on the roster. Five Nose Tackles and 12 Defensive Ends. Eight linebackers on their roster but five are freshmen or rFr.

I grew up in Tulsa from age 4 to 10ish. I'm too young to remember Steve Davis, but Billy Sims, then jc watts were my heroes. I sort of remember Joe Washington. We ran the triple option in the backyard

Last edited:
Tulane must play only three down linemen on D. No DT listed on the roster. Five Nose Tackles and 12 Defensive Ends. Eight linebackers on their roster but five are freshmen or rFr.

We will run........a lot.

To stop it, more than plugging the fullback is that you need speed and athleticism on both edges. One to takeaway the pitch and one to hit the q.v. no matter what he does.

Historically, we have done the last part well against navy. We have pummeled the qb.

Back