• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Game Plan for Tulane

To stop it, more than plugging the fullback is that you need speed and athleticism on both edges. One to takeaway the pitch and one to hit the q.v. no matter what he does.

Historically, we have done the last part well against navy. We have pummeled the qb.

Navy has had success against Wake with the fullback dive between center and guard.

Yeah, Navy beat us two years in a row, one of which was against potentially the best roster Wake has ever fielded. Damn, 2008-2009 were disappointing.

To stop it, more than plugging the fullback is that you need speed and athleticism on both edges. One to takeaway the pitch and one to hit the q.v. no matter what he does.

Historically, we have done the last part well against navy. We have pummeled the qb.

Wake may have pummeled the quarterback but that is irrelevant if the simplest part of the triple option, the FB up the middle, is working. That has to be stopped for the outside stuff to matter that much.

A well run triple option is hard to stop with a standard front. Wake won their 1970 ACC title using the "veer" variant of the triple option. Made a 90+ yard drive against the baby blue in a few minutes when everybody in the stadium knew the play calls. Didn't matter. Larry Russell made the right reads and Wake rolled down the field to score the winning touchdown and secure the ACC championship.

Those who think Wake can beat this triple option don't recall Wake's struggles against Navy and GT. You also don't know how dominating it was as the offense of the '70s - until defenses figured out the odd man front with a (preferably very large) nose tackle over the center.

Wake may have pummeled the quarterback but that is irrelevant if the simplest part of the triple option, the FB up the middle, is working. That has to be stopped for the outside stuff to matter that much.

Yes. The FB dive is everything. The rest all depends on that working. And over time it begins to work.

Hopefully the FB dive isn't as effective for Tulane, considering they line up in the shotgun the majority of the time.

If they really run a triple option, and not some other option variety, then the FB will be key either way. They wouldn't run it if it weren't effective for them.

If they really run a triple option, and not some other option variety, then the FB will be key either way. They wouldn't run it if it weren't effective for them.

It's a variation. In a classic option, the progression is FB dive, QB keep, Pitch to RB. Tulane lines up in a shotgun or pistol and sets the WR in motion. So the read is RB inside handoff, QB keeper or pitch to WR outside. It has the same basic mechanics/reads, but the handoff is further behind the line compared to the FB dive. DTs have more time to get penetration to blow up the play, but also has the possibility for the RB to read seems, unlike the FB quick hitter. The classic triple option, the FB barrels ahead and hits the hole and gets the ball if the hole is there. In Tulane's offense, they zone block, trying to open seems for the RB. The read progression is from the outside in, rather than from the inside out. It puts a lot more pressure on the Dline. Rather than hitting holes as their assignments as one does when facing a traditional option, they can either gamble to get up field (which can create larger seems) or fight to stand ground in their positioning (rather than attacking a hole) which is basically giving up 2-3 years to not give up 7. Playing their option like a traditional option and shooting a gap plays into their blocking scheme to open up a hole.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if Tulane does this much, but I would think the next progression of this option attack is to add the passing option in to turn the triple option into an RPO with 2 pass options. You'd have RB inside handoff, QB keep, play-side WR (WR1) running a mid-range route, and the WR in motion (WR2) being either the pitch man or the swing pass check down. It puts a lot of pressure on the play-side CB/Safety to cover teh QB and both WR, especially if they run it strong side, where the TE can remove the LB from the play with a route.

Generally, there are always exceptions, but option teams don't do as well in openers, when their opponent has a bye week to prepare and in bowl games, because it helps the defense (a lot) to have time to prepare to stop the option (this is also why when option teams play other option teams; the games trend 'under" because the defenses practice against the option everyday). So, the extra prep time to prepare for the Tulane O should help the WF D.

I'm not sure if Tulane does this much, but I would think the next progression of this option attack is to add the passing option in to turn the triple option into an RPO with 2 pass options. You'd have RB inside handoff, QB keep, play-side WR (WR1) running a mid-range route, and the WR in motion (WR2) being either the pitch man or the swing pass check down. It puts a lot of pressure on the play-side CB/Safety to cover teh QB and both WR, especially if they run it strong side, where the TE can remove the LB from the play with a route.

Bingo. This is exactly what I'm worried about. I think we stuff the run, but I bet they use a lot of distraction to put us to sleep before airing it out all over the field. Hope I'm wrong. Still think DB and Safety are our weakest links on either side of the ball...

Bingo. This is exactly what I'm worried about. I think we stuff the run, but I bet they use a lot of distraction to put us to sleep before airing it out all over the field. Hope I'm wrong. Still think DB and Safety are our weakest links on either side of the ball...

DB? No.

Tulane does throw out of their base formation. They are also incorporating some RPO plays into their option attack. It is rare to find a QB who is good at both running and passing. Most are good at one or the other but not both.

Also reading defenses for handoff-keep-toss on running plays is a different read from which receiver is or is about to be open.

At the very least it's an advantage to get an option team first game out. Good chance for some panicky pitches and fumbles the first time under the lights. Ideally you tack on a defensive score to a nice start offensively and force them to play from behind. Always tough for option teams to stage significant comebacks.

Mike Ehrmantraut at QB.

DlnaJvBUcAAxgVI.jpg

Mike Ehrmantraut at QB.

DlnaJvBUcAAxgVI.jpg

??? On Ehrmantraut.

Senior Jonathan Banks is listed as starting QB and rFr Dane Ledford is backup. Wildcard is grad transfer Justin McMillan who just arrived from LSU.

??? On Ehrmantraut.

Senior Jonathan Banks is listed as starting QB and rFr Dane Ledford is backup. Wildcard is grad transfer Justin McMillan who just arrived from LSU.
lol

You need to catch up on your pop culture.

Back