• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Game Plan for Tulane

We ought to have a contest on how many "Coach speak" cliques we could come up with. "We'll put our big people on their big people", "Win the battle of the trenches", "Establish the run". "trickeration"

I think our big uglies will get it done for us.

So does this set us up to have 4 straight 4 year starters? Or is my memory that bad?

It was ironic to read that Oklahoma got torched by an option team. They developed the "Oklahoma 50" defense that effectively ended the all run triple option offense.

Wake actually has a guy with nose guard build in Tyler Williams at 6-1, 300. Put him on the nose of the center. Watch which way the QB opens up. Crash the center guard gap on that side. FB dive gone. Two blockers gone. If the DT, DE, and linebacker do their jobs and just fill holes, triple option doesn't work well.

Clawson and staff need to go back in the archives and get tapes of Wake running something very similar called the "veer" under Cal Stoll in the early 70's.

Williams is on the depth chart at DE.

Williams is on the depth chart at DE.

Yes i saw that he is 2nd string at DE this season. My point is that he, along with Zeke Rodney, are the two guys on the Wake roster who most closely resemble the prototypical 70's nose tackle. The 5 man DLine is what moved the triple option from a mainstay of college offenses to an offense run by a very few schools.

This game is huge for the Deacs. It has been a long time since there was so much positive talk about the Deacs-- need to come out and not just win, but dominate. Make big plays and show everyone that the hype is for real.

Former LSU QB Justin McMillan transferring to Tulane and eligible immediately. Dual threat QB.

I SERIOUSLY doubt that we see him, if we do see him we shouldn’t worry. If a QB can come in to a team and play a week later in their opening game then that team is most likely a shit show.

Helps us if Tulane gets an upgrade at QB after we play them.

Very true, gotta pull for him to step in week 2 and lead them to a C-USA title. Buuuuut, he is a LSU QB so he could very well suck ass like most of their QB’s tend to.

Also very true.

Could be the single thing that helps us make the CFP !

No, actually it won't matter a damn bit what our SOS is at the end of the year.

Coach Fritz was good a GA Southern and I expect Tulane to become good under his watch. Hopefully, not in the first game this year.

Expect Tulane to run, run and run some more.

Very true, gotta pull for him to step in week 2 and lead them to a C-USA title. Buuuuut, he is a LSU QB so he could very well suck ass like most of their QB’s tend to.

Yeah, he was in the battle for the starting job at LSU and lost it to Joe Burrow who transferred into LSU after losing the starting job at OSU. I bet he plays but maybe not week 1.

It was ironic to read that Oklahoma got torched by an option team. They developed the "Oklahoma 50" defense that effectively ended the all run triple option offense.

Wake actually has a guy with nose guard build in Tyler Williams at 6-1, 300. Put him on the nose of the center. Watch which way the QB opens up. Crash the center guard gap on that side. FB dive gone. Two blockers gone. If the DT, DE, and linebacker do their jobs and just fill holes, triple option doesn't work well.

Clawson and staff need to go back in the archives and get tapes of Wake running something very similar called the "veer" under Cal Stoll in the early 70's.

Last edited:
Back