• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Game Plan for Tulane

In age comes wisdom. Good policy.

I’m right here. I wanted to smack talk the Tulane professor but I realized it was just my anxiety for this trap game trying to shine through. After Utah State and UL Monroe I will never go into a non conference road opener with full confidence ever again. Should be a good game though, hope we make a statement to start the season!

From Conor's piece on Tulane:

These teams met to open the 2016 season on a Thursday night in Winston-Salem, with Wake Forest winning 7-3. A repeat of such a low-scoring game, given Wake Forest and Tulane both return eight starters on offense, seems unlikely. And it seems even more unlikely looking at both teams’ defenses, based on last season — Wake Forest ranked 76th nationally in scoring defense last year; Tulane was ranked 84th.

I don't disagree with this take but... If Wake's defense isn't actually better than last year's well, it's going to be a long year I fear. I would really hate to give up a lot of points to Tulane.

From Conor's piece on Tulane:

I don't disagree with this take but... If Wake's defense isn't actually better than last year's well, it's going to be a long year I fear. I would really hate to give up a lot of points to Tulane.

Much more speed at LB LEVEL

I expect the very experienced Wake O-line to dominate the Tulane D-line. The question whether the Wake D-line can maintain assignments against the Tulane O-line. Wake D guys must not try to do too much. Just each guy do his job.

GaTech runs the triple option without having any "fullbacks" listed. The do have "A" backs and "B" backs. They list one B and two A's on the depth chart.

Even though Tulane calls them all running backs, I'm sure some of them play from directly behind the QB and some play on either side.

Last edited:
I really hope they give the ball to a more traditional style FB from 5-6 yards deep in the shotgun. Should make things pretty easy for us. Don't think that's what they do, though.

That was some very bad player speak in that video. My takeaway is that he is 22 years old now and when he started college, he was 17. He did the math and determined that he has spent 5 years in college.

We opened at -8 but the money is coming in on Tulane. The line is down to -6/6.5 .

I didn't set out to write a story proving some of the folks here wrong. But I was curious what Ryan Anderson, Cade Carney and Clawson would say if I asked if the game plan would have to dictate a heavy running game. Here's what came of it: https://www.journalnow.com/sports/w...cle_a8e09df2-cafe-57a1-be96-82d5966b7f38.html

Also, a couple of side notes: There's a 4-minute video of me if you'd rather listen to me than read me. I'll be doing those every week throughout the season. And at the bottom of the story, there's a little Old Gold and Black box asking for your email. If you sign up, you'll get a newsletter for Wake Forest sports emailed to you twice a week, a one-stop shop for what I've been working on. Included in that will be a film review that I'll do after games, going back and watching the TV broadcast (I'd love to get the all-22 but, alas) and putting my thoughts into a MTOW.

So please sign up for the newsletter, if it's not too much trouble. It literally takes entering your email and clicking "Subscribe".

You’re doing great work, Conor. Impressive that you could write that article without saying “Plus Hartman has to get the ball to Greg f’in Dortch.”

We don’t have any reason to doubt what Clawson’s doing right now. Let’s be positive going into tomorrow.

You’re doing great work, Conor. Impressive that you could write that article without saying “Plus Hartman has to get the ball to Greg f’in Dortch.”

We don’t have any reason to doubt what Clawson’s doing right now. Let’s be positive going into tomorrow.

haha. In all seriousness, I think one of Hartman's strengths is that he looks for Greg early and often.

"They’re both listed at 6-foot-1, around 190-200 pounds, wear No. 10 and have strong and accurate arms."

Ah, I see what we're doing. The Jets story is a cover for putting Wolford on the field for one more year. Clawson gets his revenge for the playbook thefts by running the Parent Trap offense.

Sam will probably struggle against the Philly backups but it'll be a good learning experience for him.

This ^ exponentially.

As the Program has evolved perhaps it is time for the “hapless Wake fan,burned so many times” to be left behind as some vestigial reminder of jilted pain— even Cubs fans have had to turn a new leaf.

Take the scars forward but more as an honor..for how many times the stomach was knotted and the head shook in disbelief.

We have real cause to believe that the suffering has served as a long birth pang and from this travail a New Deacon is emerging..a New Deacon who sees his team whipping the ass-end out of opponents as the Great Wheel comes round at last.

What was once “last” will now be made “first”.

I like Willie Fritz. It’s not his day in the sun. We have suffered and now is the time/age when Deacons are going to repay our opponents.

If Dave Clawson is,as he claims,5 foot 11 and 3/4 then Sam Hartman looks to be a little over 6’2

Back