• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Game Plan for Tulane

BudatWake

Steve Lepore
Reaction score
If I were DC, I would want to see if my OLine was as advertised and would rely heavily on the run. Just pound away and see if the line and backs can just dominate Tulane. Use an occasional bubble screen to Dortch, but not too many passes. Like to see us with over 300 yards rushing the football. Also, would want to see what we have on the defensive side of the football, but keep them off the field as much as I can. Thoughts??

Depending on the strength of Tulane's defensive backfield and pass rush, we might want to get our QBs some valuable experience throwing the ball on the road. Certainly the safest route is to dominate the line of scrimmage and the clock running the ball. If our OL can't dominate...we're in trouble for the year.

If I were DC, I would want to see if my OLine was as advertised and would rely heavily on the run. Just pound away and see if the line and backs can just dominate Tulane. Use an occasional bubble screen to Dortch, but not too many passes. Like to see us with over 300 yards rushing the football. Also, would want to see what we have on the defensive side of the football, but keep them off the field as much as I can. Thoughts??

Initially, yes. But the first two games also need to be used to observe the two new QBs in game day situations.

Depending on the strength of Tulane's defensive backfield and pass rush, we might want to get our QBs some valuable experience throwing the ball on the road. Certainly the safest route is to dominate the line of scrimmage and the clock running the ball. If our OL can't dominate...we're in trouble for the year.

Oh I think we'll throw the ball... unless we're soooo good on the ground we plainly don't need to put it up in the air. Interestingly Tulane returns 0 starters on the front 4, and only 1 on the front 7. In the secondary they return 2 of 4. So their secondary is their most experienced unit.

Initially, yes. But the first two games also need to be used to observe the two new QBs in game day situations.

Dave Clawson will play to score as many points as reasonably possible by using the pass game equally with ground game if not more. Pass schemes may be vanilla. Ground plays may be off the center all night but he’s not going to favor ground over air and lose the all important balanced attack.

The game plan should be to win and I expect we'll be conservative. This is a tough matchup that we could easily lose. It's not going to be a time for a lot of experiments. That's for Towson.

The game plan should be to win and I expect we'll be conservative. This is a tough matchup that we could easily lose. It's not going to be a time for a lot of experiments. That's for Towson.

I would still expect to see all the aspects of the playbook. Designed run, designed pass and RPO plays. I think we will start seeing how the new QB handles the RPO by the second series. I would be shocked to see anything out of the "trickeration" section of the playbook.

Let the "Beef Boys" write the first paragraphs of their 2018 all-ACC resume by giving them opportunity to dominate at the line of scrimmage and beyond.

We have the most experienced OL in the ACC and potentially the best OL in WFU history. Combine that with perhaps the best RBs in over a decade and certainly the most depth in years.

Look for us to chew clock, win time of possession and throw conservatively. If we can't run reasonably well against Tulane, it could be a very long season.

Tulane has a big O line with guys who have playing experience. They just haven't been together, coming from JuCo, grad transfer, regular transfer ranks. It will be interesting to see how they mesh together as a unit.

With our skill guys you come straight out and attack - you have a left tackle who has not allowed a sack in some 500 snaps (tops returning fbs) and you have a running back (Doak candidate) Colburn who will rip them if they pin their ears back on the p-rush. By skill players I do also mean Sam Hartman. If he can do anything he can sling it and do it accurately. They have zero pertinent footage on Sam. With aggression he can take advantage of that fact.

Tulane lost 5 of its top 9 tacklers from a year ago

2 of those ^ have been moved to new positions

1st team aac dB Nickerson is gone (tied for fastest dB in last nfl draft)

Tulane finished last season mid-pack in conference

Last edited:
I would still expect to see all the aspects of the playbook. Designed run, designed pass and RPO plays. I think we will start seeing how the new QB handles the RPO by the second series. I would be shocked to see anything out of the "trickeration" section of the playbook.

Let the "Beef Boys" write the first paragraphs of their 2018 all-ACC resume by giving them opportunity to dominate at the line of scrimmage and beyond.

Does Clawson have any "trickeration" in his playbook? I don't recall seeing any in 4 years except the ending the Syracuse game, and that was just a pass on an almost guaranteed run play.

Some people adore trick plays. While they can help in certain situations (like the Super Bowl on 4th and goal), don't think Clawson is planning on rolling out the trick plays for either Tulane or Towson.

Tulane has a big O line with guys who have playing experience. They just haven't been together, coming from JuCo, grad transfer, regular transfer ranks. It will be interesting to see how they mesh together as a unit.

Wake has interior strength and will need it with Tulane’s big 235 lb TB

Zeek Rodney is poised for a monster year..4 deep at DT with no real dropoff between Rodney/Kumara Yarbary/Bateman

Our Defense will attack. Wake has a budding All-American in Justin Strnad — a game changing hybrid who is patterned on Notre Dame AA Drue Tranquill - 6’2-230 SR who also wears #23. This Big Safety/LB is a part of the WF D going forward as we see in Fr. Recruit Zac Ransom out of Atlanta.

The Backfield is also loaded with experience and more situational ability with the addition of the younger larger safeties

Ryan Smenda’s rise to part time starter. He has big time punch at point and gets off blocks - stellar wrestler in hs - stout presence in tight quarters and explodes into ball carrier. Every bit the prospect as Strnad

Some people adore trick plays. While they can help in certain situations (like the Super Bowl on 4th and goal), don't think Clawson is planning on rolling out the trick plays for either Tulane or Towson.

True, but I'd expect some trickery from Tulane. I'm guessing we'll see something similar to the shit App pulled last year. Hopefully it'll blow up in their face if they try some cute stuff.

I'm excited to see what the front 7 can do this year. One of the strangest aspects of last season was how our DL dominated several games early in the year, but the pass rush seemed almost non-existent during much of the 2nd half.

One of my favorite 'trick' plays was in the final minute of the Louisville game last year.
We has a solid lead and everyone expected us to take a knee and run out the clock.
Instead, Wolford faked a handoff, then started to run before he pulled up and hit a wide open Chuck Wade for a 46 yd TD.
Couldn't have happened to a better team.
That play also put Wake over 600 yds of offense for only the second time ever.

A few other great trick plays from the past were Riley Skinner to Nate Morton, who then threw back to a wide open Riley on the other side of the field for a TD. Think we ran this 2 or 3 times.

Back