• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Game Thread: ODU 12:00 noon 9/16 ESPN2

31-10 Deacs.

We don't score as fast because our ground game is working! clock doesnt stop as much, shorter game = less scores.

but we still win by more than 20.

Similar game to first two, 38-14 deacs. 200+ on the ground.

Could be overrating ODU from their Louisiana performance (maybe the Cajuns are just bad), but that was an impressive game by the Monarchs. ODU would have covered at VT if not for TOs.

Also, ODU should have the emotional edge in this game with a Power V team visiting. WF has the ACC Opener on deck; ODU has Texas A&M.... not the SEC Aggies, but Texas A&M Commerce... next; so, think WF will get ODU's A game on Saturday. Have a little concern about the WF O-line with Sharpe out and Clapp banged up.

Unlike Vandy, don't feel like Vegas is overrating ODU, think that everyone underrated ODU heading into the season; they looked to be among the worst FBS teams in the country, and they aren't. ODU isn't great, but they are competitive. It's hard to go on the road and just pound a competitive team, especially in a flat spot like this. Feel like this game will be close. Even if its not, ODU has the offense for a backdoor cover.

This is business; not personal.

I'd really like to see the defense keep a team to 3 or less TDs

Deacs 34 - Monarchs 20

Bonus hot take: Ellison is the starting RB and gets more carries than Claiborne. Board chaos ensues.

don't feel like Vegas is overrating ODU, think that everyone underrated ODU heading into the season; they looked to be among the worst FBS teams in the country, and they aren't. ODU isn't great, but they are competitive.
This is almost certainly true

One thing is for certain: the Colorado Buffaloes EXPECT to win the game.

If we expect to win this game, we definitely will.

Let's get on the board early and try to take some of the wind out of their sails. Don't want to let them get hot early and thrive off the emotion.

Shut it down early and take care of business.

2672215-George-Lucas-Quote-Don-t-avoid-the-cliches-they-are-cliches.jpg

Wake wins toss
ODU three and out with a massive sack on second down
Morin houses the punt return
ODU three and out
They punt away from GOAT Morin out of bounds
Claiborne houses 55 yard run (14-0 Wake 5 minutes in)
ODU pick 6

ODU fans openly weeping in the crowd. Doofus, TITS, and BDer streak the field and spend the rest of the 112-0 blowout bonging white claws in the ODU visitor lot.

I'd really like to see the defense keep a team to 3 or less TDs

Deacs 34 - Monarchs 20

Bonus hot take: Ellison is the starting RB and gets more carries than Claiborne. Board chaos ensues.
If you looked at Cam's breakdown of the ODU offense, it is unusual in that they spread their receivers out really wide. Makes the defense choose between single coverage or light box because safeties and LBs can't easily split, that is play a location where they can help in coverage or fill the box, depending on their reads.

The ODU QB is a good runner. He has to be accounted for in that way on every play. He hasn't shown great accuracy in his passing thus far.

I doesn't look like ODU D will be able to stop Wake passing and running at the same time. If Mitch makes good reads and decisions, Wake could put up a lot of points. I see a high scoring game, with ODU getting 4 scores and Wake 7. So like 24 - 41.

Yeah my primary thoughts on this game revolve around: can ODU stop Wake on offense? I suspect the answer is no unless we have some self-inflicted issues (fumbles, bad Griffis throws resulting in picks).

College Football News has still not picked our game yet, wonder what's up with that?

I didn't watch the ODU/VT game.

It looks like turnovers killed them, and they never really had a chance to get going on offense, but they rushed for 200 yards and were >50% on third-down conversions.

The monarchs only had 4 scoring opportunities the whole game (advancing the ball past the opponent's 40-yard line). They had four drives end in a TO (safety, fumble, fumble, INT) and three drives of 3-and-out.

Once VT got up two scores, ODU folded. Last five drives were fumble, 3-and-out, INT, turnovers on downs, 3-and-out.

Back