• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

GAMEDAY!!!!

It was a big student crowd because the entire freshman class was there to open the gate.

https://youtu.be/2zy7bedIX04

This is the video I referenced earlier in the thread. This dude has some wiggle.

Good blocking except for the hold (even though it was a really weak hold and didn't affect the play. Good call but was weak.). He caught the ball and hit the hole hard. I don't think he used a juke move once on that return.

He's going to be amazing for us. That punt return that he caught the ball in stride and took it upfield about 20(?) yards was awesome and he juked some poor Presby kid out of his shoes on another. He's a playmaker like I have seen at wake probably since the '06 team. Campanaro was really really good in the slot but I don't vividly remember him being this dynamic this early (someone can correct me if I'm wrong on that)

Camp is a good comparison. High praise since he's the best offensive player we've had since Chris Barclay (no disrespect to Givens and Moore). I don't remember Camp showing out like that this early either.

I really love this Dortch kid. Man. Here is Coach Higgins talking about him on signing day. He mentions the drill in that clip.

Nice interview with him after the Spring Game. He gives the answers a coach loves to hear.

Reminds me of how I felt about Barclay after his first few games.

http://scout.com/college/wake-fores...rtch-John-Wolford-Zeek-Rodney-and-J-106733634

Video interviews after the game from Les. Love Greg Dortch's quote on his long TD reception: "I saw he was playing deep so I hit him with a double move..... and when I looked at him he was just laying on the ground. I knew I was in after that."

I love what he said about the KO TD called back. "It's OK. I'll get another one." Completely serious. And I believe him.

156 all-purpose yards.

Camp debuted in the 2010 Presby game. He was in a similar spot on the depth chart. He had a catch for 5 yards and 39 yards on two KO returns.

Last edited:
The player Dortch reminds me of most is Alphonso. Different sides of the ball but both are aggressive and confident game changers. Never forget Alphonso's 100-yd pick six against MD in 2007 that spurred us on to one of our greatest comebacks ever.

Great job Deacs. Thank you Steve Jobs for inventing a phone that lets me watch the Deacs from a bar stool 2200 miles from W-S. Next week is for first place in the division.

Just a couple other point outside of Dortch being a playmaker I noticed from the game today:

- Zeek Rodney could have been our biggest pick up of the offseason. Dude looked like an absolute beast in his first game back with the Deacs.

- Wolford, healthy, seemed to have a LOT of zip on his throws. He looked fantastic. That throw to Serigne for the TD was a thing of beauty.

- I wish we saw a little more of Arkeem Byrd running outside the tackles, but that could be because we didn't want to open up the playbook too much against a team like Presbyterian.

- The stats are really good for our receivers so I might be off base here, but it seemed like our outside guys had a little bit of trouble getting separation. I would have loved to see a couple Scotty Washington targets that he utilized his size to make catches over their corners.

- Justing Strnad and Essang Bassey stood out to me as two new guys that looked really good on film. I'm very excited for both of them.

Last edited:
Great opening game. Crisp and efficient on both sides of ball. If this thread was a wish list everyone got what they wanted. Enjoy. Boston College will be a more realistic measuring stick.

Pros:

I thought we looked ready to play.
Took care of business against an opponent we had overmatched.
The offense was the most dominant we've seen against any opponent since Clawson has been here. Last time we played Presby, it was 31-7 I think.
Zeek Rodney looked good and thank goodness he came back since we lost Chris Stewart due to knotheadedness.
Even considering competition level, I thought overall the talent level we have is the highest we've had in several years.
No real injuries I'm aware of.
Dortch, Dortch, Dortch!!!!

Cons:

Weaver missed an extra point.
I thought even with our 1st and 2nd strings we gave up too many rushing yards. Yeah, I know most of their rushing yards came at the end of the game, but even our top 2 units didn't play the option and zone read stuff great at times considering the competition level.
Not surprising, once we get past the 2 deep, the talent and/or readiness of our players really drops off. More of a given than a con I guess, as it would be most places except for the top programs.

Overall, I think we got about everything out of a game like that we could. Hard to tell how things will be against better competition, but we're certainly start to find out against BC. Only the 2nd game of year, but it is a huge game. We need at minimum a 3-1 start and hopefully a 4-0 start as the middle part of the schedule is brutal.

I'm still not particularly impressed by the design of the run-game. The OL made it work in general, but that was more about physical advantages than anything else.

The pass game was fine with Wolford in, but we need to win more battles on the outside against better competition.

Dortch, if he can hold up against a higher level of competition, can be a huge help.

Zeek Rodney looked REALLY good. I though Jaboree Williams and Dawson didn't have particularly great games.

Dortch reminds me of a Devin Hester type for us (especially for this season). Focus this year his is contributions on special teams and help out at the WR spot. For a few years, Hester was a solid WR for the Bears

I'm still not particularly impressed by the design of the run-game. The OL made it work in general, but that was more about physical advantages than anything else.

The pass game was fine with Wolford in, but we need to win more battles on the outside against better competition.

Dortch, if he can hold up against a higher level of competition, can be a huge help.

Zeek Rodney looked REALLY good. I though Jaboree Williams and Dawson didn't have particularly great games.

Agree on both. I hope the run game was kept very vanilla purposely, but not holding my breath. I do fear our LB's are the weakest they've been in a while, but I still think Jaboree has a lot of potential.

Have to agree with all of that. Even though we ran the ball OK, we really didn't create many holes. Most of our decent runs involved the RBs navigating traffic around the LOS before finding some space to run. I worry that the no gains will increase as we play defenses with more size, speed, and talent on the front 7. On the other hand, there were too many times that it looked like we had no defender in the middle of the field, as they darted right through the LOS unimpeded. Hopefully some of this goes away as we open the playbook up a little more and some of it gets corrected with a real game under our belt.

Elrod canned and Wake records two impressive offensive performances. Coincidence? I think not.

True.

If you live in Winston, and go to Saturday morning soccer with the kids, please punch Elrod in the face, for me. I'll start a go fund me to handle any bail or legal fees incurred.

True.

If you live in Winston, and go to Saturday morning soccer with the kids, please punch Elrod in the face, for me. I'll start a go fund me to handle any bail or legal fees incurred.

There are enough of us on here that the legal work could certainly be handled pro-bono. I don't do criminal work, but I'm happy to do some appellate brief work when we take our defense to the COA and Supreme Court.

Have to agree with all of that. Even though we ran the ball OK, we really didn't create many holes. Most of our decent runs involved the RBs navigating traffic around the LOS before finding some space to run. I worry that the no gains will increase as we play defenses with more size, speed, and talent on the front 7. On the other hand, there were too many times that it looked like we had no defender in the middle of the field, as they darted right through the LOS unimpeded. Hopefully some of this goes away as we open the playbook up a little more and some of it gets corrected with a real game under our belt.

This is the reason I felt that Presby wasn't as bad as the score made them look. They were pretty stout against our run game and we seemed to punish their loading the box by throwing over them. Luckily, our OL gave us time to make the throws. A year or two ago we might have scored only 24-30 points against this team. Only time will tell -- as we observe PU's season and our own -- whether it's us or them.

Also noticed that we weren't afraid to call designed runs for Wolford. 2 reasons: 1) Wolford is healthy 2) If he gets hurt, we have Hinton. With 2 healthy, capable QBs we can run the full extent of our playbook (hopefully).

True.

I really liked him as the color guy for radio too and my heart bleed for him on the death of his baby boy (still does, even what he did to us doesn't change that), but what a tool, a-hole, pos, petty, loser he is to do that to our program. I get maybe he could feel Clawson didn't give him a fair shot at being on his staff or something like that, but to do that to players he coached and recruited? I mean short of murder, rape, physical assault, kidnapping,etc., that's pretty damn low!

Arkeem Byrd and Greg Dortch were everything I hoped for in game one. Both present breakaway speed and throw another dimension into our offense that we haven't seen in a while.

There is a lot of talent at our skill positions on offense.

Back