• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

GAMEDAY!!!!

What I love is that Sam showed absolutely no fear. He has great confidence and makes all the throws.

Agreed. I try not to over-analyze body language, but his bobbing his head to the stadium music while on the field and waving goodbye to the Tulane student section tells me he is not lacking in the confidence department.

I'm not as worried as some about our defense. We gave you yardage on broken plays. It's obviously not something you want, but on the plus side, we have something very specific to concentrate on fixing in practice.

People forget how slowly Riley was brought along after the miracle Duke win as a freshman. I always thought that was one of the best coaching efforts I'd seen - it was like they knew exactly what he could handle and kept bumping it up a notch each game.

Hartman just dropped the fucking mic on any QB controversy - and he didn't even execute the RPO reads well. Give him his starting tight end and Washington back... Yeesh. Exciting.

Yeah. Hartman looked fantastic and he has a lot of room to grow.

I felt like our Dline couldn't be blocked, but just couldn't get to a pretty agile QB. Probably not the best oline we will face, but also may be one of the more elusive QBs we face. Interested to see if they can get to the QB a bit more that can't move as well.

The DL was very good at getting pressure, but not containment. That's something to work with. When it all comes down to it, the D held a solid team to 17 points in their place and stonewalled them in OT. That 8 stops between the 30 and 40 stat is ridiculous. That's just not supposed to happen.

Yeah I don’t think Banks was objectively good but he had a unique set of skills that makes him difficult to corral.

I think Banks was a solid QB.

A bit worried about our kicking game. Kickoffs to the 10. Maggio had 1 punt over 40 yards? 2 were with a short field and he did his job, but we could have used a flip the field punt or two in this game. Can't miss short FGs.
I'll give the kid a mulligan on his first college kick. He's unlucky the pass interference didn't get called or he would have gotten to get the nerves settled on an extra point. Unlike a QB, a kicker doesn't get the chance to work it out in a game over multiple plays, but you of all people know that. I'll be worried if it becomes a pattern.

The other stuff, yeah. Hopefully just first game rust.

A bit worried about our kicking game. Kickoffs to the 10. Maggio had 1 punt over 40 yards? 2 were with a short field and he did his job, but we could have used a flip the field punt or two in this game. Can't miss short FGs.

Yeah, that was a short kick with a sharp angle; the worst kind. I used to see kickers miss a lot of these a while back. Wasn't surprised a rookie kicker missed one like that but it has to be mastered. Didn't end up losing us the game.

I think we had a touchbacks on the first 3 kickoffs. I thought Clawson may have been testing the new rule with those last two short kickoffs.

Maggio obviously isn't a great punter, but let's not forget the two punt blocks in the Belk Bowl. I'll take this as progress.

I'll give the kid a mulligan on his first college kick. He's unlucky the pass interference didn't get called or he would have gotten to get the nerves settled on an extra point. Unlike a QB, a kicker doesn't get the chance to work it out in a game over multiple plays, but you of all people know that. I'll be worried if it becomes a pattern.

My first FG attempt in college was blocked. My second FG attempt was a missed 24 yard FG, both on the road. I know. The special teams just didn't help us tonight.

To be fair to Sciba, he hit the missed kick well. Short field goals from the hash marks are just tough angles and have to get alignment right. It's really easy to miss those on the short side, and very hard to miss those to the far upright, Don't be afraid to pull it more than you feel you need to.

I think we had a touchbacks on the first 3 kickoffs. I thought Clawson may have been testing the new rule with those last two short kickoffs.

Maggio obviously isn't a great punter, but let's not forget the two punt blocks in the Belk Bowl. I'll take this as progress.

Maggio was a great punter in the Duke game on a gusty cool day. Was hoping to see him bomb a few on a humid night with no wind.

Agree with the earlier post that compared this game to the one in Boone last year. Felt like the talent level for Tulane was similar to App. My recollection is that we didn’t run the ball well that day either, and that the run game didn’t really get going last season until the Louisville game. In other words, we’ve got time to figure it out.

Can’t say enough about Hartman. Some freshman mistakes are to be expected (and I confess to thinking he’s actually Wolford at times since he’s wearing #10). Tulane was clearly going to force us to beat them with his arm, and he did more than enough in that department. I have the feeling that we’ll be looking in the record book at some point to see which QB and receiver have combined for the most completions in WF history, as the Hartman-to-Surratt combo could be pretty prolific.

There is some discussion about Newman in this thread.

I sat right behind the players and he was engaged and helping out Hartman at every chance fwiw. With that said, Hartman is very likely to be a four year starter.

Good win. Tulane will go bowling. Anyone who says their team sucks is just flat out wrong. They were a good team last year and they are better. So on the road against a bowl team. Nice result.

I for one was glad Tulane did not run more triple option. I thought I heard that was what they did. Maybe they were shifting offenses.

Good win. Tulane will go bowling. Anyone who says their team sucks is just flat out wrong. They were a good team last year and they are better. So on the road against a bowl team. Nice result.

Agreed.

Anybody got an injury update? That shot to Dortch on the slant in the first half where he went down for several minutes worried me. Intense game and I feel like a lot of key guys were beat up a bit. Glad we're playing Towson next week.

There is some discussion about Newman in this thread.

I sat right behind the players and he was engaged and helping out Hartman at every chance fwiw. With that said, Hartman is very likely to be a four year starter.

Good to hear. Because I suspect Jamie will be called upon soon. No way Hartman plays 12 games in the flag football offense that was run between the second quarter and overtime.

31/51, 378 Yards, 2 TD, 2 INT, 13 Carries, 64 Yards

"Sam was so poised," Carney said. "He made some rookie mistakes, like you do, but the way he played overall -- super proud of him.

"They were going to dare him to throw the ball, and he threw some dimes."

One of the more wild stats from the AP recap:

Tulane punted seven times from Wake Forest territory. But Tulane also never ran a play from inside the Wake Forest 22.

They got maroon-zoned.

Back