• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

GAMEDAY!!!!

A few other stats data mining items:

32 first downs, not too shabby
10-19 on third down conversions, very good

I thought Clawson might give Beal-Smith a look when our backs were running sideways in the first half and not getting through holes quickly.

Does anybody else think its possible that Clawson intentionally gave up the first 2 possessions (or at least intentionally played conservative) just to lull the Tulane backfield to sleep? Tulane didn't know what kind of arm Hartman had until the game, and they weren't playing us as tight after the first 2 series.

Does anybody else think its possible that Clawson intentionally gave up the first 2 possessions (or at least intentionally played conservative) just to lull the Tulane backfield to sleep? Tulane didn't know what kind of arm Hartman had until the game, and they weren't playing us as tight after the first 2 series.

You may be on to something...

I have stood right next to both and I would say Wolford is barely 6', maybe 5' 11" 3/4, and Hartman is a legit 6'1," maybe 6'1.5"

But who cares? if height were that important for college QBs, then Jamie Newman would have won the starting job as a freshman. What counts more than size in a QB are decision-making, accuracy, leadership, etc. All things being equal, it's nice to have a big strong body but it's not essential.

I do hope that Hartman doesn't run too much himself. He did a fine job running last night but he is so valuable as a passer that I don't want to see him get banged up when he runs.

We also learned that he can scramble when needed and has good speed. Also, as noted, kinda liked his demeanor with the rockin' to the PA music:wiggle:

I think the game plan was to pound the ball on the ground early on, playing to our strengths, and when that turned into two quick punts we turned more to the passing game which Hartman showed was a very good idea.

Last edited:
So, any chance Hartman redshirts now? (non-injury) That was the seemingly hope in camp.

So, any chance Hartman redshirts now? (non-injury) That was the seemingly hope in camp.

Newman would have to play and be "all that" and Hartman would have to play some really bad games for him to lose the job after this. It could happen - see Wolford and Hinton.

Dortch and Suratt were ridiculous and Bachman is solid. That said, a little surprised that, other than one catch by Stephen Claude, more receivers weren't in the mix. WF has always played up to 6 receivers on a constantly rotating basis, but last night, Dortch, Suratt and Bachman seemed to get almost all of the snaps (except when Dortch or Bachman got banged up).

Add to that the fact that carney and Colburn even lined up outside a few times.

Boy, I sure do miss Tabari Hines.

We did use some 4 WR sets yesterday. I'm not 100% sure of the personnel, but he would have worked there.

I thought Clawson might give Beal-Smith a look when our backs were running sideways in the first half and not getting through holes quickly.

I can understand why Clawson wouldn't want to go with a frosh RB with a true frosh QB and a frosh leading WR on the day.

Surratt is such a big body, I wouldn't mind putting him in the slot and using him kind of like a TE sometimes, especially once we get Washington back. I think he could crush it in the Mark Andrews role from Oklahoma.

I love this idea.

Dortch and Suratt were ridiculous and Bachman is solid. That said, a little surprised that, other than one catch by Stephen Claude, more receivers weren't in the mix. WF has always played up to 6 receivers on a constantly rotating basis, but last night, Dortch, Suratt and Bachman seemed to get almost all of the snaps (except when Dortch or Bachman got banged up).

Not really surprised. Washington was out. Clawson doesn't seem to trust Robinson yet. Claude was the only guy left.

Do we win last night with Hinton as our QB? I'm not sure but leans towards no.

yes - just in a different way. Hinton would have ran much more on the RPOs.

Good problem to have - two different ways to beat teams.

Tulane D would have had as much trouble corralling Hinton as Wake did getting Banks on the ground. Wake could have won with Hinton, but it would have been a very different looking game. Tulane probably doesn't stack the box against a veteran Kendall Hinton at QB.

Love the gif of Hartman waving. As Bill Rafftery says, "He's got ONIONS"

Back