• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Gardening Thread

Unless your home is brick or stone, mulch. Pine needles can ignite with sun glare off a window due to the sap. Its basically like putting matches outside your home. Many cities are banning their use.

Interesting. It seemed like most people around me when I lived in Raleigh had more pine needle patches in the yard then grass. People spent thousands of dollars to truck that shit onto their property.

Interesting. It seemed like most people around me when I lived in Raleigh had more pine needle patches in the yard then grass. People spent thousands of dollars to truck that shit onto their property.
Raleigh is actually one of the cities where it's a hot button issue. Almost an entire housing development went up in flames a few years ago when a window reflection ignited the first house.

In the Pit's opinion, which last longer mulch or pine needles? I find myself using about $400 worth of pine needles every year. Is a mulch approach any better?

In my mind, the "pine straw" craze is simply the way a pulp wood farmer can make a little income while waiting for the trees to get big enough to harvest. It's become a thing, but not a good one. Mulch (shredded hardwoord or nuggets) will last a few seasons, although it looks tired and needs a little refreshing once a year.

The Raleigh incident I was thinking of was due to a discarded smoking material.

http://www.wral.com/news/local/asset_gallery/2172033/

That string of articles talks about a bunch of building code changes. I didn't see the most obvious change from the report of what happened. The fire spread through the attics. I would have thought Raleigh might have required firewalls between units to go all the way to the roof, thus eliminating the spread through the attic issue, but that didn't seem to be part of the package.

The cold snap hit three days after I sewed my cucumber seeds in a flat. I considered moving them inside, but since we were on the borderline of the frost threat (and I'm a wee bit lazy), I took my chances with the cold not impacting an ungerminated seed. Ten or so days later, I apparently lost that gamble. I was surprised cold weather impacted a buried, enclosed seed.

The cold snap hit three days after I sewed my cucumber seeds in a flat. I considered moving them inside, but since we were on the borderline of the frost threat (and I'm a wee bit lazy), I took my chances with the cold not impacting an ungerminated seed. Ten or so days later, I apparently lost that gamble. I was surprised cold weather impacted a buried, enclosed seed.

Impact on seeds can be quite variable. Some seeds can take a lot more cold than the growing plant. Others can't. If your flat was above ground, it would get colder than seed in the ground because it would get chilled from five of the six sides (includng top as the fifth side).

Got my tomatoes and peppers in the ground tonight to take advantage of the great weather this coming week. I put a lot of soil amendments, compost and manure in this year so hopefully I'll have better results than last year where the heat and drought killed everything off early.

Yeah, when is it going to rain?
It is pitiful out there. I tried driving a screw anchor into the ground the other day and couldnt due to the ground being so dry and hard. On the plus size, the river is still nice, pretty, and green this time of year rather than the typical muddy red.

Garden is going in this weekend. The usual suspects, tomatoes, peppers and various squash. Herbs for the big planters outside.

I also have a few pumpkin volunteers coming up, from where I composted our Halloween pumpkin in the garden bed last fall. So it would be cool if those work out.

Its a shame when your hoping for rain so your garden wont be too dry to plant. I went out to plant today and there's no way at the moment. Much too dusty, and I refuse to water my garden just to plant it.

Yeah I'm holding off on sowing a bed of green bean seeds till it rains

Rain, glorious rain. Hopefully I'll be able to plant the garden tomorrow.

Living in what used to be a cow pasture, we have tons of Killdeer nesting in our driveway and yard. Of course this year, one of them built a nest right in the middle of my plowed garden. So now, there's a mound where the nest is, and I've disked and rowed all around it. If there werent three eggs already in the nest, I'd had no problem plowing it over.

Huge weekend. Planted cukes, tomatoes, squash (crookneck and straight green zukes), edamame (first time), green beans. Spent a few minutes pulling weeds in my raised bed. Pulled out a rogue "lettuce" plant, which I believe turned out to be a parsnip (which I did NOT plant).

Onions (red) and three varieties of potatoes (kennebec, Yukon gold and purple fingerling) are all taking off. This is the time of year when a drunk three toed sloth could grow a vegetable garden. Love it.

Yeah I'm holding off on sowing a bed of green bean seeds till it rains

Got the green bean seeds in after that Friday rain and also some radishes, which are new this year. Hopefully those will be ready to pull in about 3-4 weeks.

My only real garden opportunity is in containers, as my yard is too shady except on my patio. I didn't plant anything yet, but brought last year's pots out from my storage area yesterday, still filled with soil, and three of them had sprouts of some sort growing. In pots that haven't had water since fall. They were in my tomato, poblano and baby bell pepper containers. Decided to set them out in the sun and see what they turn out to be!

My only real garden opportunity is in containers, as my yard is too shady except on my patio. I didn't plant anything yet, but brought last year's pots out from my storage area yesterday, still filled with soil, and three of them had sprouts of some sort growing. In pots that haven't had water since fall. They were in my tomato, poblano and baby bell pepper containers. Decided to set them out in the sun and see what they turn out to be!

If you're a container gardener, I would recommend you try Mel Bartholomew's formula of 1/3 compost, 1/3 peat moss and 1/3 vermiculite (I could only find perlite). I used that in my raised beds last year and could not believe how well it worked. As long as you stay on top of the watering (and have enough containers going to make the cost of the materials worth it), I think you'll be happy with the results. His book THE SQUARE FOOT GARDEN is worth a read, too, because the principles apply to container gardening as well.

Southern States is the only place I could find vermiculite. It comes in a big bag, 28lbs if I remember correctly.

Back