• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Gardening Thread

Pulled out all of the brocolli and greens this weekend. Replaced with tomatoes, a couple bean varieties, and a few poblano and jalapeno plants. Mounded up some more dirt on the potatoes. Once they are harvested, sweet potatoes will go in their place. Onions and cabbage are still growing. The brussels are still growing, so I'm going to start the okra in trays and transplant later once the brussels come up. Put a handful of cucumber starts in the ground and starting some more cucumbers and trombetta squash in trays for transplanting in a week or three.

If you're a container gardener, I would recommend you try Mel Bartholomew's formula of 1/3 compost, 1/3 peat moss and 1/3 vermiculite (I could only find perlite). I used that in my raised beds last year and could not believe how well it worked. As long as you stay on top of the watering (and have enough containers going to make the cost of the materials worth it), I think you'll be happy with the results. His book THE SQUARE FOOT GARDEN is worth a read, too, because the principles apply to container gardening as well.

thanks for the recommendation. I'm not into it enough to spend that much, I don't think. I wasn't going to do more peppers this year (but if that is what is growing in last year's containers, I'm good with it), and had been thinking of 2-3 okra plants and 2 tomato plants. Just some $3-4 plants and a bag of potting soil.

thanks for the recommendation. I'm not into it enough to spend that much, I don't think. I wasn't going to do more peppers this year (but if that is what is growing in last year's containers, I'm good with it), and had been thinking of 2-3 okra plants and 2 tomato plants. Just some $3-4 plants and a bag of potting soil.

Okra would be interesting in a container. My okra plants end up 6+ feet tall, though I doubt they'll reach that point in a pot. Make sure you have a sunny spot with plenty of room.

The asparagus, purple potatoes, onions, and garlic are loving this weather.

My spinach and lettuce didnt like the cold snap a few weeks ago, so I replanted them on a shady side of the house.

This weekend got some pepper and tomato plants in the ground. I've still got the hot banana, sweet banana, and bell peppers to plant sometime this week.

My biggest fear is that the neglect of our vacation in a few weeks will kill them off, but I'm hoping one of my neighbors will be able to stop by and water them every so often.

Okra would be interesting in a container. My okra plants end up 6+ feet tall, though I doubt they'll reach that point in a pot. Make sure you have a sunny spot with plenty of room.

I planted one plant in a pot 2 years ago and it did well once I got the bugs off of it, but one plant is not enough for okra! I do think it got at least 5 feet tall, and that I ended up staking it.

I've grown okra in window boxes on the railing of my back deck for years. Clemson Spineless does just fine.

A staked, vining cucumber (slicing, not pickling) is perfect for containers, because it will grow towards the light.

If you're a container gardener, I would recommend you try Mel Bartholomew's formula of 1/3 compost, 1/3 peat moss and 1/3 vermiculite (I could only find perlite). I used that in my raised beds last year and could not believe how well it worked. As long as you stay on top of the watering (and have enough containers going to make the cost of the materials worth it), I think you'll be happy with the results. His book THE SQUARE FOOT GARDEN is worth a read, too, because the principles apply to container gardening as well.

This is the mix we started out our raised beds for square foot gardening (I think 4 years ago now?). We try to refresh it every year but I'm sure it's not the same mix. But agree it did really well.

We were able to find vermiculite at the Home Depot by us.

The spring ritual of liming the shit out of the yard and garden took place today at the tune of 300 lbs per acre. Thank you Yadkin valley for your acidic, red clay soil.

The spring ritual of liming the shit out of the yard and garden took place today at the tune of 300 lbs per acre. Thank you Yadkin valley for your acidic, red clay soil.

Help me on this.

Is the native soil generally poor for gardening, but grapes happen to like it? Half the landscape is corn in the summer, so I suppose I assumed it was a good growing medium, no?

Help me on this.

Is the native soil generally poor for gardening, but grapes happen to like it? Half the landscape is corn in the summer, so I suppose I assumed it was a good growing medium, no?

In short, yes.

The clay soil in and around NC is an Ultisol, with area near creeks and rivers being Cecil, both of which are very acidic. Ultisol moreso than Cecil, which is why the grapes grow better on hilly areas that river bottoms. The red clay typically has a ph of 5 or less, and grapes like a ph of between 5 and 6. Because the red clay is naturally so acidic, it quickly becomes devoid of nutrients. Grasses and weeds can grow quite readily in about any soil, but crop rotation and annual lime and or fertilizing is needed to produce any sizeable yields.

I usually try to put about 300lbs of lime on each acre, which comes out to just under $30 per acre. Yesterday I spread it with a pull behind cart, but for the pastures we get Southern States to come out and spread it with their commercial truck.

I recently tilled up a large portion of my backyard for a veggie garden. For those of you with a green thumb, what're the 4-5 easiest veggies to grow that require the least amount of maintenance?

Thanks in advance

I'm not sure of your general location, but for gardening purposes, I'll assume somewhere in the southeast or mid Atlantic.

For low maintenance, my first choice would be bush style green beans. A small package of seed (60 total row feet) gave about 20 gallon freezer bags full plus all we cared to eat fresh during the summer.

Lettuce is a good early crop, but really needs to be in early. Once the weather gets hot, it will "bolt" and go to seed. Once it does that it doesn't taste as good. Never had much luck with spinach. Can't seem to squeeze in enough good growing time between tilling and too hot weather.

Zucchini and summer (yellow) squash also don't need much attention. I prefer the bush types for these instead of the running vines, but that is a function of space in my garden. They are prolific producers if they are happy. One or two or three per plant per day.

Also Okra. Clemson spineless as mentioned above is a good producer. Just have to harvest frequently so the pods don't get too big and the plants keep blooming and producing.

Onions (grow from sets, [little bulbs] not seed) and beets don't require much maintenance. Sometimes gnawy toothy creatures harvest some beets before we do.

Tomatoes require a little more maintenance, as they need to be staked or caged or otherwise supported. Many varieties to choose from. Peppers are easy as well. Lots of different choices, hot, sweet, red, green, yellow. As long as you wait until the soil is warm they do well. Planting out too early stunts them from the cold.

I don't do corn because of space limitations and the ease of getting much more than I could grow for a few $ at a local produce stand. And that stuff is as fresh as what I could pick. And its available over a longer time frame. Big growers do multiple plantings about 2 weeks apart, So they get successive waves throughout the summer.

What you should plant also depends on where you are and what you like to eat.

I recently tilled up a large portion of my backyard for a veggie garden. For those of you with a green thumb, what're the 4-5 easiest veggies to grow that require the least amount of maintenance?

Thanks in advance
Zucchini
Crookneck Squash
Green Beans - Bush
Onions

They're all pretty hearty and difficult to kill as long as you keep them watered.

Thanks in advance

Zucchini
Crookneck Squash
Green Beans - Bush
Onions

They're all pretty hearty and difficult to kill as long as you keep them watered.

Basil
Okra
Green beans - Bush
Cucumbers (staked)
Tomatoes (arguably a high mx plant, but I can't imagine gardening and not growing tomatoes; nothing more versatile).

I've had trouble with squash and zucchini. I (well, not me, more like my plants) seem to attract a mildew that chokes out the plants just prior to production.

I've had trouble with squash and zucchini. I (well, not me, more like my plants) seem to attract a mildew that chokes out the plants just prior to production.
How much sun does the location of the plants get? If they arent getting enough sun and too much water they'll mildew. Do they flower, or die out prior to flowering?

Zucchini flowers are quite tasty btw.

Basil
Okra
Green beans - Bush
Cucumbers (staked)
Tomatoes (arguably a high mx plant, but I can't imagine gardening and not growing tomatoes; nothing more versatile).

Do you use outdoor pest control? A lot of times the chemicals and sprays from those services will kill your beneficial insects and you'll be stuck with an aphid problem, which would cause a mold. Like tsy said, lack of sunlight and too much moisture can cause this as well.

Do you use outdoor pest control? A lot of times the chemicals and sprays from those services will kill your beneficial insects and you'll be stuck with an aphid problem, which would cause a mold. Like tsy said, lack of sunlight and too much moisture can cause this as well.

Our community garden is a re-purposed baseball diamond behind a church. The entirety of our shade is cloud cover. Maybe it is moisture.

Anyone ever grown watermelons up a trellis? I've seen the possibility online doing some searching around but not sure how viable it is. I have 3 small raised beds in the back yard and don't think there is enough room to grow them along the ground.

Back