• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Gardening Thread

Anyone ever grown watermelons up a trellis? I've seen the possibility online doing some searching around but not sure how viable it is. I have 3 small raised beds in the back yard and don't think there is enough room to grow them along the ground.

I tried with both watermelon and cantaloupe. 1) It takes a hell of a trellis. 2) I had issues with the fruit falling off the vine before they were ripe.

I tried with both watermelon and cantaloupe. 1) It takes a hell of a trellis. 2) I had issues with the fruit falling off the vine before they were ripe.

Good to know. I plan to build the trellis out of a 7' tall shipping pallet I came across; it should be pretty sturdy. It also seems if I can support the fruit in a sling of some sort (cheesecloth maybe?) that I should be able to keep them hanging a bit longer.

The onions and garlic continue to do well, but the purple potatoes seem to be doing the best.

Potatoes are doing great this year.

Also, praise for the rain! It looks like next week will be wet as well. I got my garden planted just in time.

Some of my neighbors got some hail last night that destroyed their tender crops, so they're having to start over. Luckily all we got last night was rain, which is supposed to continue throughout the weekend.

It feels strange to actually be hoping for steady rain on the weekend.

Had a strange thing happen. Wife bought garden plants and planted. Normal process, done it for 15 years. All the plants died within a day. Working theory (from my crusty old barber, so totes reliable) is that the garden centre had kept them in the shade for an extended period (wife confirmed they were in shade when she purchased)and sudden sun exposure killed them. Anyone run into this?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear that. Lots of hard work for nothing. Too much sun can kill plants, especially when they get it suddenly after being in the shade. Surprising every one died. Usually a few are tougher or had a little more sun previously.

Out of habit, I typically take any plants I buy and set them out on the side of the house that only gets morning sun for a few days. Once they acclimate, I then plant them in their permanent location. I've was burned early on by the same situation 923 posted above.

Well, this thread went pretty dead for as long as we were under the monsoon. Finally got the garden tilled. It's really late this year. Planting tomorrow, finally. Gonna give lettuce a shot anyway, but probably won't do much because it will be too hot before it gets far.

Anybody who got stuff in early getting any rewards for the labor yet?

We didn't do seeds until maybe two weeks ago and passed on the greens since we were late. Just got seedlings in last weekend.

Some sprouts coming up from the cukes, zucchini, bush beans, and cilantro. Waiting on squash and okra. Eggplant, 3 kinds of pepper, and basil seedlings doing ok. Sage and garlic chives from last 2-3 years thriving and pickable (but we don't use as much as we should...esp sage)

Lettuce and spinach are finally ready to harvest, so I foresee many salads in the near future. Our purple potatoes, onions, and garlic are also producing well. I'm getting some blooms on my peppers, so as soon as this rain moves out and we get some heat they should do fine. This is actually one of the better growing seasons (so far) that we've had in NC in a while.

Finally got the stuff in the ground, just ahead of the rain we're getting today. One of the grape tomato plants already had a few almost full size fruits on. That was a little surprising for a foot tall plant in a pot.

What I finally put in: tomatoes (beefsteak, chocolate cherry, grape), peppers, Blue Lake green beans, Clemson spineless okra, leeks, broccoli, eggplant (black ad white), zucchini, swiss chard, beets.

My cayenne seeds I planted a while back finally sprouted. Apparently they take forever to start growing.

My cayenne seeds I planted a while back finally sprouted. Apparently they take forever to start growing.

That is why most people start that stuff inside several weeks before it is warm enough to plant outside. The weeks you waited for them to sprout could have been during colder weather, with the seeds indoors in some pots.

That is why most people start that stuff inside several weeks before it is warm enough to plant outside. The weeks you waited for them to sprout could have been during colder weather, with the seeds indoors in some pots.
Oh I did. Everything else sprouted already. These are a good month behind.

Currently trying to figure out the best way to throw some netting over my tomatoes. The squirrels got to them all last year.

Back