• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

General Election Thread: Two Weeks Out

Was in the big town of Morganton NC today having lunch. It's a pretty conservative place but overheard a conversation where the folks are looking for an alternative to Trump. They said they'd never go for him. That's pretty telling in small town America.

Nearly Half of Sanders Supporters Won't Support Clinton
A June 14th Bloomberg Politics national poll of likely voters in November’s election found that barely half of those who favored Sanders — 55 percent — plan to vote for Clinton. Instead, 22 percent say they’ll vote for Trump, while 18 percent favor Libertarian Gary Johnson. “I’m a registered Democrat, but I cannot bring myself to vote for another establishment politician like Hillary,” says Laura Armes, a 43-year-old homemaker from Beeville, Texas, who participated in the Bloomberg poll and plans to vote for Trump. “I don’t agree with a lot of what Trump says. But he won’t owe anybody. What you see is what you get.”
http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2016-06-22/nearly-half-of-sanders-supporters-won-t-support-clinton

Was in the big town of Morganton NC today having lunch. It's a pretty conservative place but overheard a conversation where the folks are looking for an alternative to Trump. They said they'd never go for him. That's pretty telling in small town America.

Either Pubs concede the election now, or they have a Romney lurking in the shadows to steal the nomination. Would it marginalize millions of Trump voters? Yes. Would it give them a better shot at Hillary? Probably not. But the party would feel better about the loss.

Knew Trump was going to the UK around the time of the Brexit vote, but didn't realize it was purely a business promotion for his Scottish golf courses. No meeting with Cameron.

Good thing his campaign and fundraising are running so smoothly. Newt visited zoos and Sleepy was selling books during their "campaigns". Time for Trump to start pimping Trump steaks again.

I knew Trump had a big head but am surprised that it meant he spent over $200,000 on hats.

don't worry those are just closet racists. They want their liberals morality superheroes to still like them while they secretly hate in the voting booth alone with the lever. I forgot to ask were they white?

Either Pubs concede the election now, or they have a Romney lurking in the shadows to steal the nomination. Would it marginalize millions of Trump voters? Yes. Would it give them a better shot at Hillary? Probably not. But the party would feel better about the loss.

Base doesn't care, but GOP establishment knows they have to stop alienating women, young people, and Latinos. Trump totally destroys the GOP with Latinos. Hard to see how the GOP explains Trump away given he won the nomination easily.

They're overselling Orlando way too hard. Fundamentalist Muslims may hate gays, but they weren't the people eagerly passing anti-LGBT legislation. Insane for Trump to meet with hardcore anti-gay evangelicals while claiming he loves the gays.

Knew Trump was going to the UK around the time of the Brexit vote, but didn't realize it was purely a business promotion for his Scottish golf courses. No meeting with Cameron.

Good thing his campaign and fundraising are running so smoothly. Newt visited zoos and Sleepy was selling books during their "campaigns". Time for Trump to start pimping Trump steaks again.

The GOP really needs to stop letting their candidates just cash in on their base. At least Hillary gets rich off Wall Street and Saudi princes instead of some hypothetical grandma who watches MSNBC all day.

Fully 70 percent of registered voters now say they dislike Mr. Trump, including more than three-quarters of women and nearly 90 percent of nonwhite people, according to a new Washington Post/ABC News poll. Hillary Clinton, the presumptive Democratic nominee, has opened a double-digit lead in some national polls.

The guy is toast. As bad as HRC is, put a fork in him.

What this tells me is that a bunch of Bernie supporters really didnt know anything about what Bernie was actually fighting for... I get not wanting to vote for Hilary, but the 22 percent that would vote for Trump (like the one quoted because he is anti-establishment) are doing a huge disservice to someone like Jill Stein...

Some people are just using Trump and Bernie to have a hissy fit.

What this tells me is that a bunch of Bernie supporters really didnt know anything about what Bernie was actually fighting for... I get not wanting to vote for Hilary, but the 22 percent that would vote for Trump (like the one quoted because he is anti-establishment) are doing a huge disservice to someone like Jill Stein...

Both Bobs were Bernie guys who are apparently fond of the Donald.

Trump's attack dog attorney said Trump has no interest in anyone setting up a SuperPAC for him. Looks like he'll be totally dependent on the RNC for cash and usual campaign activities. Unless he writes a check for $300-500M, he'll be easily outspent by at least 2 to 1.

RNC has to be fucking pissed. Dems can carpetbomb FL and take out Little Marco and still have enough money to go after McCain and AZ out of spite and sport.

The first contested presidential election featured John Adams against Thomas Jefferson. Today, it's Hillary and Donald. And some of you still believe in evolution.

Hilary will in in 2016.

If (big if) the pubs get their heads out of their butts and get an average candidate in 2020, Hilary is done.

Hilary will in in 2016.

If (big if) the pubs get their heads out of their butts and get an average candidate in 2020, Hilary is done.

GOP (finally) would have to modernize their party platform policy positions, but Thune, Haley, Flake, or Kasich could win in 2020. Would also have to marginalize/muzzle the Tea Party in a way that they wouldn't form a seperate party. Big ifs that their base doesn't want.

Do you think Trump voters will just go with an establishment candidate after four years of Hillary?

Base doesn't care, but GOP establishment knows they have to stop alienating women, young people, and Latinos. Trump totally destroys the GOP with Latinos. Hard to see how the GOP explains Trump away given he won the nomination easily.

They're overselling Orlando way too hard. Fundamentalist Muslims may hate gays, but they weren't the people eagerly passing anti-LGBT legislation. Insane for Trump to meet with hardcore anti-gay evangelicals while claiming he loves the gays.

Don't know where to put this exactly, this thread is as good as any. Good read on the attitudes behind GOP Latino-bashing and the likely results thereof (spoiler: not much good news for the GOP). http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2016/07/the-white-strategy/485612/

This. Neither Trump nor Johnson are sensible alternatives for disenchanted Bernie supporters. Trump is a hateful xenophobic prick, and Johnson is a free market fiscal conservative.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Back