• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

George Zimmerman

Sometimes you can't prove your case. This sounds like one of those times, regardless of what actually happened. Zimmerman has a huge advantage because the state bears a high burden of proof and the only other direct witness (Martin) cannot testify.

My bigger problem with this case is that Zimmerman played neighborhood watch tough guy and took the law into his own hands. He followed Martin with a gun and obviously intended to confront him in some way. Whether his actions violated a criminal statute or were justifiable, he should have left the situation to the authorities. Had he, Martin would not have died that night and Zimmerman would not be sitting at the defense table.

Has Zimmerman expressed any regret for his actions? Guilty or not, there's a dead kid on his hands.

Has Zimmerman expressed any regret for his actions? Guilty or not, there's a dead kid on his hands.

He did say he was sorry at the preliminary hearing or the bond hearing. I dont remember which, but I know they showed a clip of it on CNN earlier today.

I don't how sincere or genuine it was, but he said it.

From a practical standpoint he can't, regardless of what he thinks. His lawyers wouldn't let him even if he wanted to. Obviously at this point he's got to regret it...the question is whether he regrets taking Martin's life or he just regrets what his actions have done to his own life.

The only thing he regrets is being tried. He showed Trayvon and those who always get away with it that at leas one of them didn't.

So you can shoot a black kid because he's standing around in the rain in your neighborhood looking suspicious and not walking fast enough?

Wow. Do you honestly believe TM would be dead if that was all he was doing? Nothing at all happened between an innocent walk down the street and being shot dead? It's amazing how many people gloss over the beat-down TM was putting on GZ. Either that, or they just offhand believe TM was justified in giving the beat-down since maybe he was offended some guy ("cracker" I think he told the gf?) was following him.

Sorry, you can't beat the crap out of somebody because they followed you, or even called the police on you for whatever reason. GZ would have avoided the situation had he not gotten out of the car, absolutely. Though, he was not committing a crime in getting out of the car, and it was reasonably argued that he was still trying to assist ("where is he now?") by getting out of the car.

On the other hand, TM had no business providing a beat-down, the beat-down certainly escalated the situation 10000x more than GZ getting out of the car, and it was a crime. Had TM decided not to provide a beat down, what's the worst that would have happened from the situation? The cops show up, and GZ looks like a tool b/c TM was just walking home.

It really stinks that TM died over this situation, but you can't just put it all on GZ.

It hasn't been talked about very much, but this case is another by-product of having too many guns unnecessarily available in this country. The unnecessary use of deadly force would not have been an option for Zimmerman if he had not had that gun with him.....and Martin wouldn't be dead and he wouldn't be on trial facing a long prison sentence if he had not had it.

Guns haven't been talked about very much with this case? Do you live on Earth?

Wow. Do you honestly believe TM would be dead if that was all he was doing? Nothing at all happened between an innocent walk down the street and being shot dead? It's amazing how many people gloss over the beat-down TM was putting on GZ. Either that, or they just offhand believe TM was justified in giving the beat-down since maybe he was offended some guy ("cracker" I think he told the gf?) was following him.

Sorry, you can't beat the crap out of somebody because they followed you, or even called the police on you for whatever reason. GZ would have avoided the situation had he not gotten out of the car, absolutely. Though, he was not committing a crime in getting out of the car, and it was reasonably argued that he was still trying to assist ("where is he now?") by getting out of the car.

On the other hand, TM had no business providing a beat-down, the beat-down certainly escalated the situation 10000x more than GZ getting out of the car, and it was a crime. Had TM decided not to provide a beat down, what's the worst that would have happened from the situation? The cops show up, and GZ looks like a tool b/c TM was just walking home.

It really stinks that TM died over this situation, but you can't just put it all on GZ.

ding ding fucking ding

It hasn't been talked about very much, but this case is another by-product of having too many guns unnecessarily available in this country. The unnecessary use of deadly force would not have been an option for Zimmerman if he had not had that gun with him.....and Martin wouldn't be dead and he wouldn't be on trial facing a long prison sentence if he had not had it.

It hasn't been talked about much because people don't want to admit that this is a textbook case of concealed carry. People fail to realize that people who go through the trouble of getting a CHL are the ones who are most reluctant to use them. It has been about 15 years now (or more) since people thought the first CHL laws would lead to anarchy. They didn't People acted responsibly. The biggest case they have now is against GZ, and they have no evidence that he acted wrongly. None at all. Just a lot of presumptions based on 15 year old, outdated assumptions.

I must admit that I have read very little of this thread. That being said, it's Florida. I learned long ago that reality, as I know it, simply does not apply there.

The only thing he regrets is being tried. He showed Trayvon and those who always get away with it that at leas one of them didn't.

He should have kept running home. Instead he came back and started the fight. All for having been asked a question.

In some states getting a CHL is pretty easy; too easy IMO

And you live in one of them. So do I.

ETA: You know how much I loved it when they were allowed to carry them into restaurants.

Last edited:
It's amazing how many people are uncritically lapping up the story of a killer.

There's a decent chance Martin gets arrested for something if the cops come. It's a huge risk for a black teen to just wait for police to come even if he was doing nothing wrong. He's more sympathetic dead than alive and several of you assume he was up to something because Zimmerman chased him.

It's amazing how many people are uncritically lapping up the story of a killer.

There's a decent chance Martin gets arrested for something if the cops come. It's a huge risk for a black teen to just wait for police to come even if he was doing nothing wrong. He's more sympathetic dead than alive and several of you assume he was up to something because Zimmerman chased him.

People have been making assumptions all over this thread, based largely on the political lense through which they see the case.

People like Zimmerman have no business being allowed to carry a gun. If he had not been carrying that gun, he would not have instigated that confrontation. The gun...and the gun alone....gave him the "courage" and "bravado" to aggravate a situation that was totally avoidable.

There is no evidence that GZ instigated the confrontation (aside from "following" or asking a question). The violence started with fists. TM's trust in his physique and fighting skills gave him the "courage" and "bravado" to put a beat-down on someone with lesser skills. Your solution is for folks like GZ to live in fear. This is exactly what guns are for.

If GZ had been a woman, would you have the same opinion?

Back