• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Givens gets 4th ROW award

the nfl isnt structured like the nba. Being a 5th round draft pick < getting your degree for the exact reason pigskin stated - things can turn in one play. Leaving now is the much riskier proposition

the nfl isnt structured like the nba. Being a 5th round draft pick < getting your degree for the exact reason pigskin stated - things can turn in one play. Leaving now is the much riskier proposition

I would strongly disagree.

Say at worst he is a 5th round draft pick. I don't think he'd go much later than that, especially if he tests well.

Being a 5th round pick will get him around 200K in a signing bonus. In addition, being a 5th round pick, the worst he'll do is make the developmental or "practice squad", making 80k for the year. Add in the appearances, and he's making 300K first year out of school. Even if he wanted to come back and complete his degree at wake, paying for it our of pocket, he's up 250K gross.

And that is most likely worst case scenario. I think Chris, if he tests well, could be a late 3rd- early4th round pick and should be a Solid special teams player and would make 300K rookie salary on top of the signing bonus.

He absolutely could have a better year next year, but that's the risky part.

Do they still have the insurance policy option for certain players to protect their future a bit?

However, hard to put a price on your senior year of college ball. Especially for a Wake team that could be pretty darn good. I wouldn't give up my senior year at Wake for anything. But that's me. Depends on his thoughts toward his teammates, the university and the coaching staff.

Hate to break the bad news but Chris has two more games as a Deac....He is going to take full advantage of this historic season. Things can turn in one play in this sport and he has to do what is best for him.

If this is true an 8-4 season just turned into a 5-7 season.

Hate to break it to you but if he wants a "serious" chance to translate real money into his pocket then he will remain at WF.

If not he will washout as a 5th rounder.

He needs another season of intensive S@C. If he had gotten after it in the weight room at an earlier point then the NFL would be a reality.

He comes back in 2012 and he gets fewer catches as more guys are weapons at Price's disposal...but, BUT, hew comes back and he will have possibly the top YPC average in the Country and becomes a 2nd round draft choice and enters the NFL at top form.

If this is true an 8-4 season just turned into a 5-7 season.

You must have not have watched Sherman last summer. This kid will be all ACC by soph year. It will be tough to replace # 2 but this team is still very young and will be even better next season.

Chris will go between 2nd and 4th....He will tear up the combine. Not everyone has a Andrew Luck financial support system. We can sit here and say he should stay because of this and that but he has to do what he thinks is best for him.

Haha. Lectro irrationally pumps up Wake players until they start thinking about capitalizing on all that talent he raves about.

Yea, that's what I'm doing.

More to the truth is to say I've seen many guys make the decision "for fear of injury" and those guys by and large dont do shit.

In Givens' case it is more that he needs the work. He is not polished and another year with Galloway will greatly improve his chance to become a day in and out NFL player. If his goal is to say "I played in the NFL" (and made no cake) then there is an assload of that type guy out there selling life insurance.

You must have not have watched Sherman last summer. This kid will be all ACC by soph year. It will be tough to replace # 2 but this team is still very young and will be even better next season.

Chris will go between 2nd and 4th....He will tear up the combine. Not everyone has a Andrew Luck financial support system. We can sit here and say he should stay because of this and that but he has to do what he thinks is best for him.

And this is coming from.....?

Brought over from the 1st page. Pigskin, are you just stating your personal opinion or do you have some sort of inside connection to Chris?

Our mods haven't seen it fit to elevate his username to green or blue font but based on his post history I'd say he is closer to the program than any of us.

Brought over from the 1st page. Pigskin, are you just stating your personal opinion or do you have some sort of inside connection to Chris?

Not just my opinion, I do have first hand knowledge. I'm not saying it is a done deal because i'm sure after the season is over Chris will evaluate his options but there is a definite lean towards my previous comments.

Not just my opinion, I do have first hand knowledge. I'm not saying it is a done deal because i'm sure after the season is over Chris will evaluate his options but there is a definite lean towards my previous comments.

sad-pandas-demotivational-poster.jpg

I dont blame him at all, but hopefully he'll decide over the winter that the chance to come back and do something special his senior year is worth it.

I haven't heard or read anything to that effect, but considering the drama wih Grobe booting his brother from the team I wouldn't blame him if he felt it was time to move on.

There was no drama at all, actually. Nick knows he is a knotthead.

As for Knott's departure there is no "soreness" between he and the coaching staff...as a matter of fact the last year has seen him chart a course away from the one that claimed Nick (by his own account).

This is pretty accurate. Further, why would Knott's departure encourage Givens to leave? He was here first! It's not like Knott convinced his brother to come join him at Wake.

No disrespect meant to any of our guys at all...

But even our amazingly great super studs haven't made it in the NFL (performance wise) after being drafted on the first day (first 2 days now) and are either buried on a bench or practice squad or working as a trainer somewhere.

If his goal is just to make money ASAP, then maybe going this year will do it...but rushing into it could put him in a situation where he goes late to a team that doesn't really have a need for him, he doesn't get much time, then doesn't get another contract.

So yea he might cash in on this season's success, but what if there's nothing after that first contract?...does he really want to be one of the guys constantly trying out for vacant spots from injured players?

Why not get his degree, take a chance to have an even BETTER season, complete with hype and awards, and try to move up the board after back-to-back amazing seasons?

If he's going to be a 5th round or better pick, I wouldn't fault him for going but playing your way into the 2nd round is obviously a much better situation.

No disrespect meant to any of our guys at all...

But even our amazingly great super studs haven't made it in the NFL (performance wise) after being drafted on the first day (first 2 days now) and are either buried on a bench or practice squad or working as a trainer somewhere.

If his goal is just to make money ASAP, then maybe going this year will do it...but rushing into it could put him in a situation where he goes late to a team that doesn't really have a need for him, he doesn't get much time, then doesn't get another contract.

So yea he might cash in on this season's success, but what if there's nothing after that first contract?...does he really want to be one of the guys constantly trying out for vacant spots from injured players?

Why not get his degree, take a chance to have an even BETTER season, complete with hype and awards, and try to move up the board after back-to-back amazing seasons?

totally agree! he can make some quick cash or develop for another season and have a better shot at a career in the NFL.

We should just start collecting funds on the boards so we can pay him next season. I know bishop will give him some hundred dollar handshakes.

Back