• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Going to GA- Bring your gun to the airport!

That's the statement the NRA backtracked from a few days later.

I suppose that we should be allowed to open carry both inside of and outside of kindergarten classrooms.

On a more serious note, I hope one of these open carry idiots gets dropped pulling this stunt outside of an airport before innocent people have to die and provide Wrangor his blessed statistics. (Yes, Wrangor - that's how you would get statistics in this case, as terrorists and psychopaths are the only two non-law enforcement constituencies who had the brilliant idea of carrying in an airport.)

If an open carry idiot gets dropped, the NRA and friends will bitch.

It saddens me that a large cross-section of our citizenry supports fewer restrictions on the right to bear arms while putting more restrictions on the right to vote.

How about the large cross section of folks who have no respect and/or understanding of the gun culture in the US? These are the same people whose intolerance and mockery fuels the gun nut and hoarding behavior among non gun nuts that they love to marginalize.

Wrangor or somebody mentioned 4 people who carry in church and said 3 of them don't even think about it. Something like that I can completely understand, and it isn't because I've done it or even because I've been overly exposed to it. It's just that some people carry everywhere and don't think twice about it. Their jobs, environment, or upbringing has them packing either on their person or with a gun or two in the car. Not a big deal.

None of this is a commentary on open carry, fwiw. I'm very pro gun, 2nd amendment, and concealed carry. I'm rather indifferent on open carry. I honestly don't see much practical reason for it in most situations.

ELC chiming in with a long post on a thread about something he is "indifferent" toward.

I suppose that we should be allowed to open carry both inside of and outside of kindergarten classrooms.

On a more serious note, I hope one of these open carry idiots gets dropped pulling this stunt outside of an airport before innocent people have to die and provide Wrangor his blessed statistics. (Yes, Wrangor - that's how you would get statistics in this case, as terrorists and psychopaths are the only two non-law enforcement constituencies who had the brilliant idea of carrying in an airport.)

At least you admit (even in a roundabout way) that you have no evidence for your stance. Instead you hope for a mass shooting to prove you are right. That is excellent.

But we do have proof that have concealed carry doesn't stop attacks. One of the people at the Gabby Giffords shooting was concealed carrying and he has said that he didn't consider pulling out his gun, because it was too dangerous.

They have concealed carry in CO. That didn't stop the Aurora shooting.

We have defined evidence that two major mass shootings were not stopped by concealed carry.

You have yet to show us a single mass shooting in the US that was stopped due to someone carrying a concealed weapon.

It's you who has no evidence.

At least you admit (even in a roundabout way) that you have no evidence for your stance. Instead you hope for a mass shooting to prove you are right. That is excellent.

No evidence means this isn't a problem in the first place so why would you need your gun to defend your perimeter there anyway?

One of the best arguments for CCPs is that those are the people who aren't criminals and are licensed and trained gun owners. In Mississippi for example, you don't need a license or training to open carry.

"A license to carry a pistol or revolver is not required for open carry beginning July 1, 2013(see above). A license is not required for transporting a concealed or visible firearm in a vehicle.[6][7][8][9]"

Doesn't that make you just a little bit nervous?

Do you put on a seat belt out of fear? Lock your doors out of fear? Or are they just reasonable precautions against the unlikely? Security system? We take all sorts of precautions in life based on a minimal chance of danger. We buy life insurance. Are we all peeing our pants over dying? No it is taking a reasonable precaution in case an unlikely circumstance occurs.

Calling gun owners fear mongerors is simply a tool to diminish their position through mockery. Owning and even carrying a gun doesn't mean you live in fear. You certainly could be living I fear but it doesn't necessitate it. You might just be taking a precaution that you see as completely reasonable and safe.

For a seatbelt there is also a chance I could do harm to myself and no one else -- I could run off the road or hit a tree. If I carry a gun it's because I think there is the possibility someone else will harm me.

No evidence means this isn't a problem in the first place so why would you need your gun to defend your perimeter there anyway?

Because it is guaranteed by the second amendment?

One of the best arguments for CCPs is that those are the people who aren't criminals and are licensed and trained gun owners. In Mississippi for example, you don't need a license or training to open carry.

"A license to carry a pistol or revolver is not required for open carry beginning July 1, 2013(see above). A license is not required for transporting a concealed or visible firearm in a vehicle.[6][7][8][9]"

How can you be in a well-regulated militia without training?

For a seatbelt there is also a chance I could do harm to myself and no one else -- I could run off the road or hit a tree. If I carry a gun it's because I think there is the possibility someone else will harm me.

So? That doesn't negate anything I have said. I don't wear a seatbelt because I am afraid of myself. I wear a seatbelt because there are bad drivers out there. That doesn't mean I live in fear. Despite the odds being low of being in a wreck I decide it is a safe play to wear a seat belt.

Many people make a similar decision regarding carrying a weapon. It doesn't mean they live in fear.

No. If someone wants to shoot me a carry law isn't going to effect that. A criminal looking to do harm is going to carry regardless of the laws in place. But I appreciate the honest question and the avoidance of sneering in the question. Refreshing.

How can you be in a well-regulated militia without training?

I just received this email this past weekend from a friend of mine who carries.

"Guys, Delta Defense posted last week that they are running a special on their one day skills training class. For a group of ten or more they will do it for $200 a person plus ammo. It is normally $500 a person.

I know me and Kent are in. Is anyone else interested in taking the class? It is about 500 or more rounds and is a must take class for anyone who is or wants to carry a pistol and know how to correctly use them in different situations. "

I know it is probably hopeless to present people who carry weapons as non crazy, but it is a very real possibility. These are people I know who are very responsible with their ownership, and take liberty with carrying a weapon at their leisure. I think this thread has run its course, so I think this is a good last post. The 2nd amendment guarantees the right to bear arms. In order to revoke that right an immediate threat to the general well being must be presented. No one on this thread has presented anything other than conjectures and platitudes (despite RJ's overwhelming evidence...not even going down that rabbit hole).

The reality is that the statistics (feel free to look them up. A simple google search will give you all you need) don't support conceal and carry increasing the threat of violence to the public, and in fact there are plenty of studies (cited gleefully by the NRA) that show modest decreases in violent gun crimes. I would hazard to say that the evidence is inconclusive either way and that both sides are shading results to their POV. Either way you look at it, the evidence is inconclusive on this issue, and that is not a compelling argument to revoke a right guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment.

Ph once again showing he can't post without sounding like a patronizing ass.

Back