• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Good bourbon

How was it? I haven't pulled the trigger on any of their other stuff. They've got a ton of offerings.

It will be my next pour while watching Top Gear reruns. Will report back.

It's ok. I know why I haven't had it in over a year. Definitely tastes youngish with a hot (not alcohol) taste despite the low proof. Not hot enough to be unpleasant, but hot nonetheless, especially when following a barrel proof whiskey.

This one might be the bottle I use for my manhattans. I've been looking for a whiskey to use for a premixed batch of manhattans that I keep in the fridge.

It's ok. I know why I haven't had it in over a year. Definitely tastes youngish with a hot (not alcohol) taste despite the low proof. Not hot enough to be unpleasant, but hot nonetheless, especially when following a barrel proof whiskey.

This one might be the bottle I use for my manhattans. I've been looking for a whiskey to use for a premixed batch of manhattans that I keep in the fridge.

Hmmm, may have to take a pull at a bar to see how I feel about it. Thanks for the thoughts.

Hmmm, may have to take a pull at a bar to see how I feel about it. Thanks for the thoughts.

I had another pour of this last night on a fresh palate and didn't get the heat that I noticed the previous evening. It probably had something to do with the bourbon that I was drinking beforehand. Still isn't my favorite and has a youngish taste, but there was also some sweetness and a faint bubblegum taste to me.

I had some more of it last night, then went with some Elijah Craig 12 year, then a pour of VOB BIB.

Aww yeah! FedEx just dropped off our latest pick. Four Roses Single Barrel (100pf) that was "accidentally" non-chill filtered.

0b266fcb9e0b6e6446e7b67265daad26.jpg

I think my gift shop bottle is OESV. Thoughts on that B&D? I picked the highest ABV I could find on the shelf.

I think my gift shop bottle is OESV. Thoughts on that B&D? I picked the highest ABV I could find on the shelf.

One of my favorite recipes...I still have one OESV from a pick we did in 2013. Open yours up and post some tasting notes!

One thing that I have found, especially with cask strength bottles, is that a little air times helps to round out the bourbon. The initial couple of pours can be a little tight, too much alcohol, a little too in your face. After it has been open for a while it is almost as if some of that alcohol evaporates off and completely changes the flavor and mouthfeel. There have been many times when I find the second half of a bottle to be much better than the first half...but that's all part of the fun! A while back buckets posted something about not enjoying a FR cask strength bottle he picked up and this was the first thing that went through my mind. Hopefully he stuck with it and it got better!

A couple of years ago we did a FR OBSF pick that I wasn't crazy about. I actually found that if i poured it into my glass and then covered the top of the glass, it was much better the next day. That's how I ended up drinking that entire bottle.

B/D: What is the recipe for a premixed batch of manhattans?

B/D: What is the recipe for a premixed batch of manhattans?

I usually do 2.5 to 1 or 3 to 1 (whiskey to sweet vermouth). I'll mix that up in a bottle and keep it in the fridge. Then, when I'm ready for a drink, I'll just pour it into a glass, add some ice cubes and a couple dashes of bitter, give it a stir, and enjoy. Making a manhattan is easy, but there's something nice about just being able to pour it already mixed. The bottle does not last very long.

I usually do 2.5 to 1 or 3 to 1 (whiskey to sweet vermouth). I'll mix that up in a bottle and keep it in the fridge. Then, when I'm ready for a drink, I'll just pour it into a glass, add some ice cubes and a couple dashes of bitter, give it a stir, and enjoy. Making a manhattan is easy, but there's something nice about just being able to pour it already mixed. The bottle does not last very long.

Therein lies the reason I do not pre-mix them often. Whenever I have premade manhattans, negronis or boulevardiers in the house I go to town on them. I have finished a 750ml bottle of premade cocktails in a single sitting on more than one occassion, following which I become the mayor of Drunktown.

Therein lies the reason I do not pre-mix them often. Whenever I have premade manhattans, negronis or boulevardiers in the house I go to town on them. I have finished a 750ml bottle of premade cocktails in a single sitting on more than one occassion, following which I become the mayor of Drunktown.

Look at you being all fancy with a boulevardier! The first time I had one I didn't even know what it was...it's a tasty drink, although it sounds like it should be in the pretentious thread.

Look at you being all fancy with a boulevardier! The first time I had one I didn't even know what it was...it's a tasty drink, although it sounds like it should be in the pretentious thread.

The name is ridiculous. A lot of times I just call it a rye negroni, which it is. Love them though. I make them a lot.

I have also been experimenting with a number of different vermouths/amaro for my cocktails. I think I currently have 6 or 7 different kinds of sweet vermout/amaro in my fridge. I always have Dolin on hand, of course, but Cochi di Torino (relatively herbal) and Carpano Antica (herbal and vanilla) are new favorites, and my recently acquired (via special order) Vermouth del Professore is a game-changer.

Interesting article about a bourbon shortage (or lack thereof).

http://whiskyadvocate.com/whisky/2015/02/20/there-is-no-whiskey-shortage/

I agree with what Josh Feldman says in the comments section (the Jack that also commented isn't me).

Is it a shortage, or is it capitalism at work? I have to believe the smart producers will retain equal if not more barrels for long-term aging. But yeah, the price is going to go up. So really, there isn't a bourbon shortage. The issue is that the golden age is gone...great bourbon at exceptional or very reasonable prices...is gone. Folks such as yourself bear and deacs are sitting pretty...you could never buy another bottle and make out just fine...it's the new folks (like me) that just need to be prepared to pony up.

I guess it's all semantics. At current (or five year old) prices there certainly is a shortage...probably permanent. But at market prices... you can get anything you want.

Is it a shortage, or is it capitalism at work? I have to believe the smart producers will retain equal if not more barrels for long-term aging. But yeah, the price is going to go up. So really, there isn't a bourbon shortage. The issue is that the golden age is gone...great bourbon at exceptional or very reasonable prices...is gone. Folks such as yourself bear and deacs are sitting pretty...you could never buy another bottle and make out just fine...it's the new folks (like me) that just need to be prepared to pony up.

I guess it's all semantics. At current (or five year old) prices there certainly is a shortage...probably permanent. But at market prices... you can get anything you want.

Exactly. You can buy all the Jim Beam white label that you want...there will be plenty. But being able to walk into a store and readily pick up a 12 - 18 year old bourbon is next to impossible these days.

And at the rate that I drink bourbon I'm definitely not sitting pretty!

Last edited:
Exactly. You can buy all the Jim Beam white label that you want...there will be plenty. But being able to walk into a store and readily pick up a 12 - 18 year old bourbon is next to impossible these days.

And at the rate that I drink bourbon I'm definitely not sitting pretty!

And I say all of this as someone who grabbed a couple of Old Grand Dad BiBs today at $19.95 cause they are changing the labels and tops and eventually the price. Same with some OWA I found two weeks ago for $29 given that is impossible to find near Raleigh. So I am contributing to the issue myself. I am definitely falling victim to the "panic".

On a separate note, I started archiving the NC ABC official quarterly price guides. As long as they keep making them publicly available could be interesting to follow. Not for the NC specific prices which are generally higher at pure retail, but just to watch the trends.

And I say all of this as someone who grabbed a couple of Old Grand Dad BiBs today at $19.95 cause they are changing the labels and tops and eventually the price. Same with some OWA I found two weeks ago for $29 given that is impossible to find near Raleigh. So I am contributing to the issue myself. I am definitely falling victim to the "panic".

On a separate note, I started archiving the NC ABC official quarterly price guides. As long as they keep making them publicly available could be interesting to follow. Not for the NC specific prices which are generally higher at pure retail, but just to watch the trends.

I haven't paid attention to the NC price guides lately but they are good for watching for sales. Obviously control states suck but every now and then you get a good deal. A couple of years ago when Heaven Hill closed out Elijah Craig 18 I think the price dropped from $50ish to $25ish or something like that...what a bargain for an 18 year whiskey, if you could still find it. There were a couple of times that I found a sale in NC that was cheaper than here in Atlanta.

Back