• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Good bourbon

I am falling victim as well. Up in Hickory today because my oldest daughter has a dance comp. Found the closest ABC store looking for some OWA but they didn't have any so I picked up some Larceny. And I will probably pick up another bottle of something next week.

added my name hopefully to the barrel buy. stuck in mt airy covering the snow (or lack of) again. Will pour something when I get home after midnight.

1726a6678ab6313bfc503826595c497c.jpg

114 is definitely my favorite "regular" bourbon...by a long shot. But not available in NC and I don't go down to South Carolina until July...which is where I got my last bottle from. this sucks.

Whiskey Tree

I'm not sure if I've posted this before...the source for this Whiskey Tree is straightbourbon.com.

------------------------------------

Mashbill Source: Regan & Regan, The Book of Bourbon and Other Fine American Whiskeys (London: Mixellany) 2009, unless otherwise noted. Barton, WT, and Dickel are noted as approximate.

Brand Name (%corn/%rye or wheat/%malted barley)

Whiskey Tree, 5.2

Note: These tree is only a breakdown of "macro" distillers

Barton-1792, #3 char, Independent Stave

Barton (75/15/10)- Very Old Barton all proofs +???

1792 (high barley?)- 1792 Ridgemont Reserve, +???

Other Bourbons: Tom Moore BiB, Kentucky Gentleman, Kentucky Tavern, Ten High, Walker's Delluxe, other "cats & dogs".The rest, unknown

Rye 37/53/10? (speculation based on label of High West Double Rye!)- Fleischman's Rye

Before it was purchased by Sazerac, sold to a lot of NDPs.

Beam, #4 char, Independent Stave

Beam Mashbill (76/13/10)- all JB bourbons, Old Crow, Old Taylor*, Knob Creek, Baker's, Booker's

Old Grandad Mashbill (63/27/10)- OGD, Basil Hayden

Rye- JB Rye, Old Overholt, Ri¹, Knob Creek Rye

Brown-Forman, #3 char, Brown-Forman Cooperage

Old Forester (72/18/10)- Old Forester, Woodford Reserve

Early Times (79/11/10)

Jack Daniels (80/8/12)

Rye (see Heaven Hill below)- Current source of Heaven Hill's Pikeville and Rittenhouse ryes.

Also sells to many NDPs.

Buffalo Trace, #4 char, Independent Stave

#1, higher corn BT White Dog, Benchmark, Buffalo Trace, Old Charter, Eagle Rare, Col. E.H. Taylor, Geo. T. Stagg

#2, lower corn- Ancient Age*, Elmer T. Lee*, Hancock*, Blanton's*, Rock Hill Farms*, Virginia Gentleman/Bowman Bourbons?

Wheat bourbon: Everything Weller, Van Winkle Special Reserve "Lot B"*, Old Rip Van Winkle*, Pappy Van Winkle 15 y/o*

Rye: Sazerac, Bowman Rye, Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye* (?)

Diageo, char #3, Indpendent Stave

Dickel (80/12/8)George Dickel, Cascade Hollow

Four Roses, #3.5 char, Independent Stave

Has 2 mashbills and 5 yeasts.

All Ten Combinations- Four Roses (yellow label)

OBSK, OBSO, OESK, OESO- Four Roses Small Batch

OBSV- Four Roses Single Barrel

All the combinations are also available as Single Barrel, Barrel Strength retailer bottlings.

Also sells whiskey to Diageo that goes into Bulleit (from the high rye OBS recipes) and I.W. Harper (not available in the U.S.) and produces the overseas version of McKenna. For more information, including mashbills, see Oscar's chart here.

Heaven Hill, #3 char, Indpendent Stave

Rye Bourbon (75/13/12)- Heaven Hill, J.T.S. Brown, T.W. Samuels, Evan Williams, Elijah Craig, Henry McKenna (U.S.), Parker's Heritage (except for 2010), etc. Also probably the source of Luxco's Ezra Brooks line and the current Yellowstone.

Wheat Bourbon- Old Fitzgerald, Parker's Heritage 2010. Also probably the source of Luxco's Rebel Yell and Rebel Reserve.

Wheat Whiskey- Bernheim Original

Rye Whiskey (37/51/12, aprox.)**- Future source of Rittenhouse 80 & BiB, Stephen Foster, current source of Pikesville, Rittenhouse 21 & 23 (?)

Corn Whiskey: Mellow Corn, JW Corn, Georgia Moon, Dixie Dew, Platte Valley*

Also sells to many NDPs.

LDI, ??? char, Independent Stave?

Sells bourbon and rye for many brands including Templeton, Redemption et al, High West, W.H. Harrison, Cougar (Australia), Bulleit Rye and KBD. For a breakdown of the of corn, rye and bourbon whiskey mashbills used, see the MGP website: [url]http://www.mgpingredients.com/product-list/

Maker's Mark, #3 char, Independent Stave

Maker's Mark (70/16/14)

Wild Turkey, #4 "the heavy char", Independent Stave

Bourbon (75/13/12)- Wild Turkey, Russell's Reserve Bourbon

Rye (37/51/12, aprox.)**- Wild Turkey Rye, Russell's Reserve Rye

Brands on the market with whiskey from closed distilleries:

Medley Rye- Older bottlings of Hirsch, post-PA Michter's(?), Black Maple Hill rye, others?

Mix of Medley Rye and Cream of Kentucky rye (Bernheim distillery)- Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye.

Stitzel-Weller bourbon- Pappy Van Winkle (20 & 23 only?), Jefferson's Reserve 17, 18, Vintage 17 etc

A few American bottlers and/or marketers have been purchasing 100% rye rye from a Canadian distillery or distilleries. It is often presumed these are from Alberta distillers in Calgary, but as of yet there is no firm evidence. So far, these are Whistle Pig, Jefferson's and Masterson's Rye. Jefferson's may be switching to American-made rye.

*Brand(s) not wholly owned by the distiller.

**Based on more current information

Last edited:
That was the interesting thing I learned when touring. Mashbill can be the same but depending on where in the rickhouse it is stored and for how long affects the taste. The tour guide at BT said that Weller 12 year was bourbon that just didn't make the cut by Julian Van Winkle to become PVW.

That was the interesting thing I learned when touring. Mashbill can be the same but depending on where in the rickhouse it is stored and for how long affects the taste. The tour guide at BT said that Weller 12 year was bourbon that just didn't make the cut by Julian Van Winkle to become PVW.

That's why Weller is becoming extinct in all forms.

That's why Weller is becoming extinct in all forms.

Yeah. Seems you can still easily find the Special Reserve. When I was in Kentucky hunting for OWA and 12 year, no one had it but had plenty of Special Reserve. My wife did score a bottle of 12 year for me but I am not going to say what she spent on it. Had I been with her, I would not have let her buy it for me. It was my anniversary gift.

Sort of, but not really. Since JVW doesn't taste every Weller barrel, I prefer to view Weller 12 as VW bourbon that just got bottled under the Weller name and for a fraction of the price!

Sort of, but not really. Since JVW doesn't taste every Weller barrel, I prefer to view Weller 12 as VW bourbon that just got bottled under the Weller name and for a fraction of the price!

My Weller 12 cost $80. Not proud, but like I said, my wife got it for me. I wouldn't have paid that for it. I think $50 would have been a fair price, but $80 was a gouge. Anxious to open it up, but may wait until Christmas as I hope to score a bottle of PVW this year. I'll put the PVW up for a very special occasion and open the Weller 12.

The special reserve is always there at my go to liquor store. The 12 and the OWA have been MIA for a couple of months. Fortunately I hoarded three bottles of OWA the last time I saw it.

Back