• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Good bourbon

Started off earlier with an EWSB dated 2006 (pretty good), then the aforementioned Manhattan with Ritt rye, now ending with some EW BiB. Good night of good Heaven Hill booze.

Baby's crying, time to take her to bed.

Started off earlier with an EWSB dated 2006 (pretty good), then the aforementioned Manhattan with Ritt rye, now ending with some EW BiB. Good night of good Heaven Hill booze.

Baby's crying, time to take her to bed.

Very nice! I haven't had EWSB in a while (or bought it) but I reorganized some of my stuff in my storage unit this weekend and came across my EWSB's. I need to find some of the other bottles to fill in the gaps for a epic vertical tasting!

500aa529587819826c536e88f5acba5d.jpg

Heard a story on NPR yesterday about Terressentia, which is a whiskey being made in SC that purports to be able to "age" a barrel of whiskey 4 years in just 8 hours using "ultrasonic energy and oxygenation." Naturally, people are skeptical. Anyone tried this stuff?

http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt...ller-promises-to-make-kentucky-liquor-quicker

I'm sure they can speed up some of the processes/chemistry involved, but there's no way you can recreate the entire chemistry involved with aging something for years/decades in a matter of hours. There's a reason the same bourbon in the same barrel, but aged in two different places, will often taste quite different. I don't want bourbon produced in a lab. Just like industrialized meat and veggies, it will never have the same taste, texture, etc as something that has taken longer to grow/age and has been exposed to the stresses of nature.

Found a bottle of Michter's Small Batch today at the Hwy 150 ABC store. They only had one bottle so I picked it up. Worth the $45 I spent?

I found a bottle of Early Times that had not been opened and was in the back of a liquor cabinet at the lake house we were at this past weekend. It was like 60+ years old. Not sure if it would be good or kill me.

I like the Colonel Taylor small batch. Is there a consensus that the single barrel good enough to justify paying more?

I found a bottle of Early Times that had not been opened and was in the back of a liquor cabinet at the lake house we were at this past weekend. It was like 60+ years old. Not sure if it would be good or kill me.

If the liquor is still clear and there's nothing floating in it, drink up!

I like the Colonel Taylor small batch. Is there a consensus that the single barrel good enough to justify paying more?

I unequivocally say yes. I think the single barrel is far better than the small batch. And I like the rye even more.

Have you had the cured oak yet?

Just got an email today from the local ABC saying they were getting some in. I got my name on the list a few minutes after the email went out, so hopefully I'll get a bottle. Should know tomorrow. They also listed the single barrel...based on what I've since read, it sounds like I should have requested that as my first choice instead.

Just got an email today from the local ABC saying they were getting some in. I got my name on the list a few minutes after the email went out, so hopefully I'll get a bottle. Should know tomorrow. They also listed the single barrel...based on what I've since read, it sounds like I should have requested that as my first choice instead.

How quick do they reply? I got the e-mail and replied about 20 minutes later. I haven't heard anything so I am assuming I didn't make the cut.

NEVERMIND! Should know something today. Reading is fundamental!

Last edited:
The timestamp of the ABC email was 9:30. My reply was timestamped 9:36. Just saw the followup note that said they'll email by EOD Friday if you got a bottle. Seems the response to these emails is up from a year ago.

Yeah, I got the e-mail saying they will contact those who made the cut tomorrow. Hoping to get a bottle of either EH Taylor. I'll settle for the Stagg Jr.

Has anyone had the Jim Beam Signature Craft 12y? It's $5 off this month at the local ABC and seems to get decent reviews. I mean, it's a 12 year bourbon for $35, I guess I'd be silly not to try at least one bottle. The question is whether it's worthwhile to grab a few bottles on sale.

Back