• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Good bourbon

Has anyone had the Jim Beam Signature Craft 12y? It's $5 off this month at the local ABC and seems to get decent reviews. I mean, it's a 12 year bourbon for $35, I guess I'd be silly not to try at least one bottle. The question is whether it's worthwhile to grab a few bottles on sale.

I don't think I've seen it in the Triad area. I've picked up a few bottles of EC 12 year for $25. Other than Knob Creek, I don't think I have tried any other Beam product.

Heading to Sandusky, OH in 3 weeks for my daughter's national competition for dance. Anyone know of any decent liquor stores in the area?

Heading to Sandusky, OH in 3 weeks for my daughter's national competition for dance. Anyone know of any decent liquor stores in the area?

Ohio is a control state. You probably wouldn't find anything older but it wouldn't hurt to stop in a store or two just to see if they have a different selection than you have in NC.

Everyone's trying to get their piece of that S-W action these days.

When I was there in February, they (Bulleit) said they were going to start distilling at S-W again. I think they were close to being ready if I remember correctly. My understanding was the Orphan Barrel line was from barrels left in the rick houses when S-W shut down operations. Is Blade and Bow part of that?

I'll be honest, I think I've tried all of the Orphan Barrel offerings and I haven't loved any of them, especially at the prices they go for. They all seem to have this similar funk/mold thing going on. I know a lot of people really like them though.

I'll be honest, I think I've tried all of the Orphan Barrel offerings and I haven't loved any of them, especially at the prices they go for. They all seem to have this similar funk/mold thing going on. I know a lot of people really like them though.

That funk thing is pretty common with SW. Here's what a buddy of mine posted about B&B about a week ago:

The 22yr Blade and Bow had an amazing nose and a Stitzel Weller funk on the entry, but it fell off a cliff really quick due to low proof. If it was half the price I'd buy several.

Yeah, I got the e-mail saying they will contact those who made the cut tomorrow. Hoping to get a bottle of either EH Taylor. I'll settle for the Stagg Jr.

I've had the EHT Small Batch and the Batch 3 Stagg Jr. I would take Stagg Jr 10 out of 10...have not tried Batch 4 but I think it is favorable vs 3. Grab it if you can. EHT Small Batch is good but does not stand out in any way. Have not had EHT Single or Cured Oak so can't comment to that regard.

I've only had the EHT Small Batch but I have been sitting on a bottle of the Rye for a year now...waiting for a special occasion to crack it open. The EHT Small Batch is a little hotter and has less depth than I expected. I am not good with describing taste but there was not a lot of variety to it. I've hit several other BiBs versus the EHT small batch over the last couple of months...I'd have to put McKenna BiB as top of the class, followed by the EHTSB, Jim Beam BiB and OGD BiB collectively at #2. At that point, based on price combined with taste, I guess my rankings would be (1) McKenna (2) OGD (3) Beam (4) EHT.

That being said, I cannot wait to try the EHT Rye and if I were to find a Cured Oak (doubtful) I absolutely would jump on it.

My wife surprised me last night with an early Father's Day present. She booked a room for my Dad and I to go to the Kentucky Bourbon Festival in Bardstown in September. Going Thursday through Sunday that week. Anyone been? Pretty stoked about it!

My wife surprised me last night with an early Father's Day present. She booked a room for my Dad and I to go to the Kentucky Bourbon Festival in Bardstown in September. Going Thursday through Sunday that week. Anyone been? Pretty stoked about it!

If you aren't on straightbourbon.com make sure you register on there and introduce yourself. There is always a big group of people that go up even if they don't actually go to the festival itself. If you meet up with them you will most likely have an opportunity to try some bourbons that you may never see again...definitely worth it if you have the time.

Where will you be staying in Bardstown?

If you aren't on straightbourbon.com make sure you register on there and introduce yourself. There is always a big group of people that go up even if they don't actually go to the festival itself. If you meet up with them you will most likely have an opportunity to try some bourbons that you may never see again...definitely worth it if you have the time.

Where will you be staying in Bardstown?

I will check it out! Thanks for the tip! We are actually staying in Elizabethtown. When she booked, everything was sold out in Bardstown. I think we are about 30 miles out unfortunately.

I will check it out! Thanks for the tip! We are actually staying in Elizabethtown. When she booked, everything was sold out in Bardstown. I think we are about 30 miles out unfortunately.

Yeah it gets pretty crazy and things get booked up almost a year in advance. Keep checking though...there are usually cancellations.

The Hampton Inn may be the best spot to stay, but most of the straightbourbon folks stay at the General Nelson (a Best Western). The General Nelson is definitely past its prime (one of those older motels where you park directly in front of your room) but there's a gazebo in the back where everyone gathers at night...the only rule is that you have to bring a bottle to share.

Word to the wise though - go with very small pours! If you meet up with them there will be a ton of fantastic bourbon and of course you want to taste them all, but it catches up with you pretty quickly if you don't watch the size of your pours!

Thanks! My Dad is not much of a drinker so if things get out of hand, he will drive.

Yeah, I got the e-mail saying they will contact those who made the cut tomorrow. Hoping to get a bottle of either EH Taylor. I'll settle for the Stagg Jr.
Did you hear anything? I didn't. Must have been a tiny allotment if I didn't make the cut with a 6 minute reply.

Anyone tried the Makers Mark Cask Strength? I picked up a 375ml bottle today for someone as a gift but am considering keeping it if it's a gem. I'm curious how it'd compare with OWA since the proof levels are similar.

Back