• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Good bourbon

Doing a little four roses tasting at home tonight:

OBSF, 10.5 yrs, 60.9% abv: smooth, warm, a little sweet, a little peppery. The rye come through nicely but not overpowering. Very good.

OBSO, 9.5 years, 63.5%: same mashbill so the rye is still there. A little more prevalent than the OBSF. Overall quite a different flavor. More peppery. Sweeter up front but it disappears quickly. Maybe a hint of mint or something like that as well. Makes my lips tingle. Very good.

OESO, 10.5 yrs, 56.9%: definitely different tasting. Can defs tell the higher corn to rye ratio in the other two. This one has much less peppery spice to it. Sweeter. I feel like it's also picked up more oak than the other two. I might get a bit of the mint like from the OBSO, but if I do it's very subtle (they do share the same variety of yeast). Very good as well, but probs my least fav of the three (which isn't that surprising as I tend towards ryes).

I think the OBSO is my fav, but it is very close with the OBSF. I could easily change my kind if (when) i do this tomorrow.

Bought the OBSO on a whim when I went to the distillery. Woot!

Mine's only 53.2% though

Bought the OBSO on a whim when I went to the distillery. Woot!

Mine's only 53.2% though

Let us know how it is. I personally love the low proof barrel proofers. Tons of flavor and not overpowering with the alcohol. Almost syrupy sometimes with a great mouthfeel. One of my favorite Four Roses private bottles was a pick from 2011 - OBSV and about 52%. Dangerously drinkable and delicious.

Has anyone done the Kentucky Bourbon Trail as a bachelor party? We might have as many as 14 people. Is this a good idea or bad idea?

Has anyone done the Kentucky Bourbon Trail as a bachelor party? We might have as many as 14 people. Is this a good idea or bad idea?

I think the trick is to use a company that will handle distillery tour bookings to ensure you get tickets for the entire party.

Also, understand it's a slow-go kind of day. There's a decent amount of downtown time traveling between stops, so plan to enjoy the drive time.

Otherwise I think it sounds like a great time.

Had my wife pour me two of the following 100 proofers for a blind tasting, both neat:

OGD BiB
Johnny Drum private stock (tech 101 proof)
VOB BiB
EHT Small Batch
Rock Hill Farms

Sample 1 had a better nose and a great initial entry but then fell off at the midpalate and finish. Kind of a 1 trick pony. Sample 2 had a dusty / alcohol nose and low expectations but then had more depth, and a thicker mouthfeel. Not good at describing flavors but started catching some butterscotch. Sample 2 was by far the better of the two.

My pre-blind ranks based on individual pours in the weeks before (not blind) were: 1 RHF 2 JDPS 3 OGD BIB 4 VOB BIB 5 EHT. Maybe my expectations were too high for the EHT or I got a bad batch but it was hot and a one trick pony and not worth $40. The ogd and vob were def better on a price/taste basis.

So the results were: completely unexpected. Sample 2, the better, was the VOB BiB. By far the cheapest of all 5. sample 1 was the EHT small batch. I would have guessed rock hill farms for sample 2 and VOB for sample 1. While i completely missed the boat, i did feel vindicated that EHT SmB was the worse of the two. Prob the second worst bottle of bourbon i ever bought behind Wathen's. Will be interesting to repeat this a couple of more times to see where the others stack up and more importantly verify consistency over time.

Had my wife pour me two of the following 100 proofers for a blind tasting, both neat:

OGD BiB
Johnny Drum private stock (tech 101 proof)
VOB BiB
EHT Small Batch
Rock Hill Farms

Sample 1 had a better nose and a great initial entry but then fell off at the midpalate and finish. Kind of a 1 trick pony. Sample 2 had a dusty / alcohol nose and low expectations but then had more depth, and a thicker mouthfeel. Not good at describing flavors but started catching some butterscotch. Sample 2 was by far the better of the two.

My pre-blind ranks based on individual pours in the weeks before (not blind) were: 1 RHF 2 JDPS 3 OGD BIB 4 VOB BIB 5 EHT. Maybe my expectations were too high for the EHT or I got a bad batch but it was hot and a one trick pony and not worth $40. The ogd and vob were def better on a price/taste basis.

So the results were: completely unexpected. Sample 2, the better, was the VOB BiB. By far the cheapest of all 5. sample 1 was the EHT small batch. I would have guessed rock hill farms for sample 2 and VOB for sample 1. While i completely missed the boat, i did feel vindicated that EHT SmB was the worse of the two. Prob the second worst bottle of bourbon i ever bought behind Wathen's. Will be interesting to repeat this a couple of more times to see where the others stack up and more importantly verify consistency over time.

Very interesting. I love blind tasting results because it removes all preconceptions when judging. I go back and forth between Evan Williams BIB and OGD BIB as the best budget/everyday/mixing bourbons and right now I'm more on OGD BIB.

VOB BIB is a great value pour but a very limited distribution. I haven't bought a bottle in a few years but remember it being extremely solid for under $15 a bottle...one of the best bargains, especially when it was a 6 year old.

The EHT line is a little interesting. Basically it is a "catch-all" for Buffalo Trace. Doesn't fit profile? EHT! Want to sell it at a premium? EHT! Don't know what we'll do with it? EHT! Want to experiment? EHT! At the end of the day the newbies to bourbon have gobbled up the EHT experiments, like Cured Oak, and have driven up the price. Some of the EHT offerings are better than others but, as is usually the case, the product is rarely as good as the hype.

You should have her pour all five and see how you rank them!

Thought I had one for you (well, it's actually my dad's). The tag was hanging in such a way that I couldn't see the bottom of the numbers but it looked like 12-11-15. I'll keep look whenever I see Blanton's though.

So close! I appreciate you keeping an eye out - I've got a BOLO submitted to a couple of bourbon groups, so hopefully something with turn up. I've seen bottles very close, like your dad's, and 12/11 was a Friday, so I suspect they were bottling.

Very interesting. I love blind tasting results because it removes all preconceptions when judging. I go back and forth between Evan Williams BIB and OGD BIB as the best budget/everyday/mixing bourbons and right now I'm more on OGD BIB.

VOB BIB is a great value pour but a very limited distribution. I haven't bought a bottle in a few years but remember it being extremely solid for under $15 a bottle...one of the best bargains, especially when it was a 6 year old.

You should have her pour all five and see how you rank them!

i actually picked up the VOB BiB in Kentucky a year and a half ago based on your list of recommendations way back in the early days of this thread.
I do hope to blind taste all 5 of them at some point. Also going to do an 86-90 proofer, a rye sampling, and a barrel proofer blind test by the end of the summer.

Dang you really escalated quickly. My wife would murder me.

Oh I suppose I could. But I go through it slowly these days (infant at home) so it'll take a while to get through what I even have now. Plus it's rare I come across things I need to bunker, other than OWA which is buy on sight. There's a lot of great daily drinker bourbon out there that's in plentiful supply so I can just go buy another when I run out.

bears - you ever have the 6-year willett? i bought a bottle a few weekends ago that i've been wanting to break into:

http://www.klwines.com/detail.asp?sku=1050796

I've been into three shops recently that have the run-of-the-mill Willett Rye going for $70. GTFO with that shit. I like it just fine at the normal $35-$40 range, but at $70 that's just taking advantage of the fact that there isn't any other Willett available.

Yep...another reason for you to pick up a couple of those 6yr Willetts @ $55, Buckets!

Buckets, did you ever open this one? And did you buy more? Willetts at $55, even for a six year, seems like such a great buy these days!

Last edited:
Still in the bunker

Should have bought more, I only have one bottle

Dang you really escalated quickly. My wife would murder me.

I did jump in head first. My wife is cool about it, though. I don't really spend money on anything throughout the year so if I splurge a little here and there, it's no big deal. I also ask for bourbon as gifts now because it is easy.

cd2f8699fdf54860ad09d6765669df8f.jpg

Sipping on some tasty shit to celebrate a good day

Back