• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Good business expressions

I love those corporate-speak glossaries that circulate every now and then but it's been a while since I've seen one.

I can't stand "in this space" - I want to punch every person who says it
I can't stand "thought leadership" - this is so pretentious and Orwellian and nobody--NOBODY--is impressed by it
I can't stand "mission critical" - like we're a bunch of fucking astronauts?
I can't stand "tools in our toolkit" - I think again and again of Tim Allen

I could go on. . . .

I love those corporate-speak glossaries that circulate every now and then but it's been a while since I've seen one.

I can't stand "in this space" - I want to punch every person who says it
I can't stand "thought leadership" - this is so pretentious and Orwellian and nobody--NOBODY--is impressed by it
I can't stand "mission critical" - like we're a bunch of fucking astronauts?
I can't stand "tools in our toolkit" - I think again and again of Tim Allen

I could go on. . . .

Yah these are brutal

Is your commit for the quarter “dick in the drawer”?

Heard it every sales call for 2 years. Was a favorite of Senior VP of Sales

Agree that "pivot" is by far the worst. Other bad ones:

circle back
baked in
talk about this offline
leverage
this is your tea party
“Let’s talk about this offline” is essential office speak. It’s the nice way of saying shut the fuck up you’re derailing the meeting.

Only meeting derailers wouldn’t like it

These may venture into pet peeve territory but:

Saying “knock on wood”.

“Everyone’s name is ‘someone’, so when I say ‘someone needs to fix X’, that’s you.”

I work in tech, so pretty much any acronym that isn’t VERY well known, such as AWS or it’s products.

I could fill this thread up but my nails on a chalkboard phrase is "On a go-forward basis"

Do you mean in the frikkin' future, or "from now on"? because that's how non-corp drones would say it.

These may venture into pet peeve territory but:

Saying “knock on wood”.

“Everyone’s name is ‘someone’, so when I say ‘someone needs to fix X’, that’s you.”

I work in tech, so pretty much any acronym that isn’t VERY well known, such as AWS or it’s products.

I can’t tell you how many times a week I talk about a “holistic approach to digital transformation”. I truly hate myself every time I say it

Back