• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Good business expressions

"Don't try to farm someone else's land"
"I'm taking the 30,000ft view"
"I'm sure there's a shape for this" - this was in Succession from the kids 1,000 times
"Let me look at this then I will circle back"
"Don't try to boil the ocean"
"Let's drill down on this idea"
"I don't have the bandwidth"
A couple of those need to be put in silos.

there must have been a succession writer whose entire job was to make up new corpspeak for kendall

"shape" was a good one

All we could talk about earlier this year was what our "big rocks" were and I hated it.

No mention of "synergy" yet? Whenever I use it, I caveat how much I hate it prior to saying it, but it's actually a useful word in discussing large corporate partnerships.

I find myself saying "I want to make sure we are aligned..." quite a bit, which seems cringey.

Oh and definitely "there's a lot to unpack here..."

No mention of "synergy" yet? Whenever I use it, I caveat how much I hate it prior to saying it, but it's actually a useful word in discussing large corporate partnerships.

I find myself saying "I want to make sure we are aligned..." quite a bit, which seems cringey.

Oh and definitely "there's a lot to unpack here..."
how else are we going to make sure we're on the same page though?

Also, every sentence either starts or ends with "At the end of the day" and it has become so commonplace that I'm distracted by it if that makes any sense.

And another thing. If the sentence doesnt start with that then it starts with "Look..." .

I watch too much CNN (at the end of the day).

The one I use the most is, "If we don't complete this assignment, we do not get paid. So let's focus on what it takes to get this done."

“Failure is not an option.”

"This fucking lawyer is doing everything he can to ruin my day, including being dead fucking wrong about everything."

just reading from an email i just received:

"lean into" something
"centerlining" questions (I don't know what this means)
"putting a shape to this" - straight out of succession

Probably already been mentioned, but I hate the term "rock star" for an employee. The only "rock stars" in business are possibly the owner/founder of a company with a unique position in their industry, and of course a true "rock star" that is employed by a rock band.

Probably already been mentioned, but I hate the term "rock star" for an employee. The only "rock stars" in business are possibly the owner/founder of a company with a unique position in their industry, and of course a true "rock star" that is employed by a rock band.
yeah there was a Super Bowl commercial about this

I hate the term Human Resources. Sounds so dystopian. But I also hate all the cutesy modern terms. Like a Chief People Officer or whatever.

at our firm it's "P&C" for People and Culture

Back