• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Government Shut Downs and Debt Ceiling

Thought this was a good quote from Biden. Wish the other side would express a similar sentiment but instead McCarthy shat all over Biden.

"The agreement represents a compromise, which means not everyone gets what they want. That’s the responsibility of governing."

Now watch the Freedom Caucus and the Progressive Caucus reps shit all over this only for some portion of them (probably the ones least likely to face election jeopardy) to vote for it while still kicking and screaming about it.

We'll be printing a shitload of T-Bills/Bonds over the next 3-9 mos. at these high interest rates unless the Fed reverses course. And eventually they will reverse course. Bc what choice is there but to debase. Buy some 30 years or an ETF that tracks to long term bonds and wait. May take a year or more but that trade should pay in a big way when the yield curve reverses this big inversion.

Congress needs to permit student loans to be discharged through bankruptcy. Such a simple thing that has been offered up for years as a proposal (from both sides even) and it never gets traction. It's incredibly dumb and needs to be fixed. So yeah, make payments flow again but offer a path out that is offered for all other debts for those who cannot make it work. Fuck, even put a time gate on it. Just get it done.

I agree.

We should be getting the USSC ruling on forgiveness soon, but I think it's a foregone conclusion it gets struck down.

I agree.

We should be getting the USSC ruling on forgiveness soon, but I think it's a foregone conclusion it gets struck down.
I watched a documentary on this on a flight recently. Someone tried to figure out how the clause banning bankruptcy for student loans made its way into the Clinton era bill in the first place. Interviewed multiple former congressmen thinking they were the culprit only to find none of them supported it. Eventually discovered it was an adminstration wonk who retired from the DOE to become a truck driver. So simple to fix. Could just shove it in this bill (or any bill).

I fundamentally don't agree with forgiveness. But bankruptcy has got to be an option. And loans that were structured in a way that took advantage of the fact they can't be discharged in bankruptcy could also be restructured so as not to make the interest clauses so punitive.

lol wouldn’t want to cap defense spending would we

When do you get to declare bankruptcy though, because almost every student graduating when it’s time to start repaying loans is bankrupt. The fix should be that the government doesn’t make interest on the loans except for as a punitive measure. Place a very small percentage cap on paying the loans tied to your current income, if you pay that while working good to go only principal and then add a time limit for all loans as well.

When do you get to declare bankruptcy though, because almost every student graduating when it’s time to start repaying loans is bankrupt. The fix should be that the government doesn’t make interest on the loans except for as a punitive measure. Place a very small percentage cap on paying the loans tied to your current income, if you pay that while working good to go only principal and then add a time limit for all loans as well.
The proposals that have been floated would be to put a time gate on the ability to declare. So you have to make a go of it for some number of years before you can declare. And I presume that would also apply if you go back to get a graduate degree. How many years, I have no idea how they look at the math on that. The issue with your proposal presumably would be how do you fix existing loans that were issued on different assumptions for the issuers (like we can't put the loan system in jeopardy), but to my thinking they should be able to adjust interest structures on existing debt without sending it to zero. But maybe on a go forward basis your idea works? Also that film detailed there are income based payment structures. But they are very hard to navigate and often are not approved for individual borrowers (didn't dive into the particulars but detailed that it exists and doesn't work well enough).

Forgiveness after x number of income based payments would be a reasonable solution. The problem really is the ongoing payments that are 10% of income, yet not really eating into principal.

Forgiveness after x number of income based payments would be a reasonable solution. The problem really is the ongoing payments that are 10% of income, yet not really eating into principal.
Exactly. People borrow 30K and bc the loan structures are so punitive some of them make the min. payments and end up 100K in debt. So find a path to declare bankruptcy for people.

And that misses the point anyway. I’m sure I’m preaching to the choir here, but these concessions pretend there’s tons of fraud and waste around SNAP with absolutely zero evidence. Whereas we have direct evidence of five straight years of failed audits of military spending, where contractors who get half the Pentagon’s budget upcharge us 10000% (literal figure) for basic goods and services year over year over year, a quarter of a trillion dollars at a go. Manufactured yearly crisis, and continually trying to engage in good faith negotiations with the republicans just shows what absolute marks the Democrats are.

What pile of bullshit. Nothing in this agreement will do anything to substantively reduce future spending and it will likely reduce future revenue by cutting funding to the already underfunded IRS. It was all a performance. Congratulations everyone.

Our defense budget is almost 2.5 times Ukraine’s GDP

That wasn't the question.

I'm not sure if that spending is considered part of defense, but if it is I can at least see why Biden would agree to leave defense spending alone. In that case an agreement to cap it would essentially end additional funding for Ukraine rather than result in other defense cuts.

Back