• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Government Shut Downs and Debt Ceiling

You'll get no disagreement from me that defense spending is wildly out of control, especially with respect to the more basic needs of our citizenry. I'm just guessing at a potential reason why it wasn't capped while other things were.

The January 2025 deadline means the debt ceiling will be weaponized again for the 2024 election.

If they are going to have work requirements for SNAP, Medicaid, etc they better legislate AI in a damn hurry as it is going to eliminate a lot of the jobs that have low barriers for entry.

The more I'm seeing come out online about this, it looks like Biden won it convincingly.

You'll get no disagreement from me that defense spending is wildly out of control, especially with respect to the more basic needs of our citizenry. I'm just guessing at a potential reason why it wasn't capped while other things were.

The January 2025 deadline means the debt ceiling will be weaponized again for the 2024 election.
Who could have seen that coming?

How? Trump or the Pub nominee is going to em run on not raising the debt ceiling? Other Pubs aren’t going to run on kneecapping their own nominee either.

The most likely scenario is probably Biden, narrow Pub Senate, narrow Dem House. Is this going to be the first battle of Biden’s second term?

How? Trump or the Pub nominee is going to em run on not raising the debt ceiling? Other Pubs aren’t going to run on kneecapping their own nominee either.

The most likely scenario is probably Biden, narrow Pub Senate, narrow Dem House. Is this going to be the first battle of Biden’s second term?
Will the debt ceiling get raised before or after Trump supports storm the capitol again to stop the steal?

If they are going to have work requirements for SNAP, Medicaid, etc they better legislate AI in a damn hurry as it is going to eliminate a lot of the jobs that have low barriers for entry.
Fun fact: they don't actually care about improving the lives of poor people

With one potentially major exception, the relative harm and help was kept to a minimum in the final agreement. It will only be a little bit easier to commit wage theft, or to sell defective or poisoned products. It’ll only be a little harder to get rental assistance or tuition support. Only a few people will be freer to pollute the environment; only a few will find it more difficult to get food. The Internal Revenue Service will only be a little worse. A lot of things will stay the same. Almost nothing will get any better.

What happens when forced to negotiate with one side bent on insalutary policies.

Additionally, the Act contains a mechanism that will reduce the discretionary caps by one percent if Congress fails to enact all 12 appropriations bills by January of 2024.

Am I crazy for thinking this is a poison pill that will be intentionally triggered by Republicans?

Will McCarthy hold a vote if his party keeps bailing from agreeing? Seems like there will be enough votes with Dems and a handful of Republicans to pass it, but it seems like the beginning of the end of McCarthy if that happens.

Back