• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Government Shut Downs and Debt Ceiling

We have a former President of The United States recommending that the US default on its debt.

To pay for bills passed during his administration.

A Republican priority seems to be to strip funding from the IRS designed to combat tax cheats.

I mean, how in the world can this be a political win apart from the insane and destructive myth that taxes are “bad”. So much so that we shouldn’t worry about tax cheats.

Damn, you have to be deluded to buy this BS.

Republicans play hide the ball with their real agenda. Lowering the deficit by defunding the people who bring in revenue makes no sense. But selling tax cuts = growth is evergreen even though it never works.

The left in general. Republicans don’t scream “Defund the IRS!” or “Defund public education!” They just get in power and do it while talking about rights and freedom from government.

But Dems can’t scare people with truth.

The left in general. Republicans don’t scream “Defund the IRS!” or “Defund public education!” They just get in power and do it while talking about rights and freedom from government.
This isn’t entirely accurate. The right has been pretty consistent and intentional in their anti-education and anti-irs rhetoric for a long time. Some sadly significant number of voters will see cuts to education and think “that’ll keep ‘em from indoctrinating ma kids!”

This isn’t entirely accurate. The right has been pretty consistent and intentional in their anti-education and anti-irs rhetoric for a long time. Some sadly significant number of voters will see cuts to education and think “that’ll keep ‘em from indoctrinating ma kids!”

They wouldn’t say they’re anti-public education and they don’t run on it. Yes, they attack teachers under the guise of attacking unions. Yes, they do things that take funding away from education. But they don’t run on defunding. They run on “freedom” and “school choice” and “parental rights,” core values not taking away from people.

They wouldn’t say they’re anti-public education and they don’t run on it. Yes, they attack teachers under the guise of attacking unions. Yes, they do things that take funding away from education. But they don’t run on defunding. They run on “freedom” and “school choice” and “parental rights,” core values not taking away from people.
I think that’s historically true, but I feel like calls to outright refund the IRS and the FBI have really ramped up in the trump era of the gop. Essentially anyone or group who wrongs them I expect campaigns to defund. That certainly seems the strategy desantis will champion. Petty, emotional, vindictiveness.

To the point of taxes/IRS considerations, they’ve been openly lying about the Biden IRA IRS funding and happily “against” taxes and tax collection enhancement.

I think that’s historically true, but I feel like calls to outright refund the IRS and the FBI have really ramped up in the trump era of the gop. Essentially anyone or group who wrongs them I expect campaigns to defund. That certainly seems the strategy desantis will champion. Petty, emotional, vindictiveness.
Since I was young I've heard conservatives bitch and complain about teachers "getting the entire summer off" and using that as an excuse to justify not paying them more or treating them better. They also clearly resented teachers getting that time off. Pettiness, resentment, and vindictiveness are core traits of Trump Republicans.

there’s a lot to unpack in that statement, but mostly I think you are wrongly attributing conservative success, vs liberal failure, to conservatives superior rhetorical strategy, when their rhetorical strategy only works for them because 1. Conservatives are far more homogenous than Democrats, 2. the American political system gives far-outsized power and influence to rural areas where conservatives live, and most importantly 3. the founders of American politics were wealthy white land owning males who sought to maintain their own power and wealth, so it’s extremely logical and predictable that American political outcomes will always trend towards the preferences of wealthy white land owning men.

C’mon man. You know I know conservatives have those advantages. Don’t think they be as effective without hiding the ball behind rights and freedom rhetoric. Despite all their advantages, their policies don’t poll well. Home field advantage doesn’t get them everything.

The left can message better despite “disadvantages” of diversity and reality of history. For example, there’s not much of a message around combating the rural-urban power divide.

You’re both right. GOP has an inherent advantage of space but on top of that they dumb the fuck out of their messages and the people love it. Gun control is the perfect example. Conservatives scream “2nd Amendment” and “they’ll take your guns away” when Dems say “reasonable restrictions on clip, I mean magazine, size and restricting sale of certain assault style weapons would be prudent to reduce mass shootings.”

Tentative deal has been reached. Yay for no economic catastrophe…maybe.

Last edited:
Back