• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Government Shut Downs and Debt Ceiling

FFS the debt limit explicitly involves spending that has already happened. That obligation does not change no matter what we do today or anytime in the future. Using our obligations to pay existing debts as a bargaining chip for future spending changes is asshole level stuff. It's also potentially catastrophic.

Our government pays its debts. Period.

Asked Tuesday evening what Republicans were offering to get Democratic votes, Rep. Patrick T. McHenry (R-N.C.) gave a brief answer: “The debt ceiling.”

“That’s what they’re getting,” added Rep. Garret Graves (R-La.).

McCarthy and his top lieutenants have in recent days said the White House needs to agree to cut spending, not just keep it flat. The House GOP’s representatives have panned Biden’s negotiators, saying the White House isn’t showing enough urgency or sending people empowered to cut a deal.

White House spokeswoman Karine Jean-Pierre told reporters Wednesday that Republicans were demanding too much: “We’ve also heard some House Republicans refer to preventing default as the only concession they are willing to make. But preventing a catastrophic default is not a concession. It’s their job. Period.”

It is. But they don’t seem to understand this. Or care to. So…bad vibes.

Their job is to control the government. Starting a catastrophic default would help them control the government.

Yep, they feel they have the upper hand. That people will blame Biden for their destruction…so needlessly causing catastrophe and pain is a win!

Let's just take as gospel the numbers some of you float on lost tax revenue from the last round of cuts - 3.5T over the next decade. 350B a year.

Over the last 10 years the national debt increased by an average of 1.6T each year. The debt has doubled in those 10 years. And this happened in an era of low interest rates - which at least for now isn't where we're at.

We have much more than a revenue problem.

So you’re saying cutting taxes was a bad idea?

I'm saying that when people proclaim we have a "revenue" problem but not a "spending" problem they're ignoring the biggest part of the issue.

Which spending is the problem?

I'm saying that when people proclaim we have a "revenue" problem but not a "spending" problem they're ignoring the biggest part of the issue.

Ok - if such a poster shows up you let them know but you might want to start a different thread bc that doesn’t have anything to do with the present “crisis”

And politicians claiming it is a spending problem but only offering to cut social safety net spending are ignoring the biggest part of the biggest part of the problem.

I think if you read the posts here you'll see that no one is calming it is ONLY a revenue problem. There are several posts about revenue and tax cuts because you are ignoring the revenue piece. Any serious attempt to diagnose and solve the "problem" has to look at revenue and spending cuts and those spending cuts have to include military, otherwise its all just bullshit.

And politicians claiming it is a spending problem but only offering to cut social safety net spending are ignoring the biggest part of the biggest part of the problem.

I think if you read the posts here you'll see that no one is calming it is ONLY a revenue problem. There are several posts about revenue and tax cuts because you are ignoring the revenue piece. Any serious attempt to diagnose and solve the "problem" has to look at revenue and spending cuts and those spending cuts have to include military, otherwise its all just bullshit.
Just yesterday you labeled it a revenue problem with no reference to spending.

I've not once opined on what spending to cut.

Back