• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Government Shut Downs and Debt Ceiling

Seems like such a clusterfuck of a way to govern. This needs to be more definitively dealt with if/when Dems can ever get a governing majority that doesn't depend on assholes like Manchin/Sinema.

Why didn't they raise the debt ceiling when they had full control? That was, what, 5 months ago?
Lol. They couldn’t even get judges appointed. We aren’t a country of majority rule in any stretch of the imagination.

The answer to your question was in the post you quoted.

Because it would have had to be done by the reconciliation process which depended on a very reluctant Manchin.

But I think, if possible, we need a changed process that doesn't depend on willing saboteurs of governance.

so deacman’s argument is that it’s the Dems fault that the GOP is deciding to hold the world economy hostage. And that it’s unreasonable to expect a basic functioning government when the GOP holds any branch. Cool.

When you bosides it maybe you can remind us of the grand concessions the trump White House had to make in raising it previously.

Yes...because Republicans wouldn't cooperate last year either...hoping for just this moment to either throw the government and economy to hell or cripple programs that help the poor instead of raising taxes on the wealthy.

so deacman’s argument is that it’s the Dems fault that the GOP is deciding to hold the world economy hostage. And that it’s unreasonable to expect a basic functioning government when the GOP holds any branch. Cool.
No I'm asking why it is entirely on the GOP.

The Dems had control 6 mos ago. They could have passed a bill. They didn't.

They lost a house of Congress. That house of Congress passed a bill.

Those are all just facts.

Yep, the GOP gets credit for passing a super shitty bill that has no chance of becoming law. Congratulations.

Because it would have had to be done by the reconciliation process which depended on a very reluctant Manchin.

But I think, if possible, we need a changed process that doesn't depend on willing saboteurs of governance.
Dealing with one person should be far easier than dealing with several dozen on either side who are not prone to compromise. Still think we get a deal. But it will be far less perfect from a Dem perspective than whatever they could have produced on their own when they had control.

No I'm asking why it is entirely on the GOP.

The Dems had control 6 mos ago. They could have passed a bill. They didn't.

They lost a house of Congress. That house of Congress passed a bill.

Those are all just facts.
Because the Republican solutions to this made up crisis are either cut off your arm or cut off your head

Good to see this discussion is going someplace.

So we’re gonna get 60 votes in the senate we couldn’t get last year?

House discharge petition?

Back