• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Government Shut Downs and Debt Ceiling

Just pay the debt. Stop making a big deal about this. It just plays into theatrics and the BS that is the debt ceiling.

When their base loves insurrection and domestic terrorism they will just reflect their base. #chicken?/egg?

"how dare Democrats criticize us more than themselves!" ???

I still don't really understand why we even have a debt ceiling. Just seems like we're playing Russian Roulette with ourselves every couple of years. It's not in the Constitution, what's the upside of having this law?

I still don't really understand why we even have a debt ceiling. Just seems like we're playing Russian Roulette with ourselves every couple of years. It's not in the Constitution, what's the upside of having this law?

this exact political 'crisis'

What is our federal government without contradictory manufactured BS?

this exact political 'crisis'
A quick Wikipedia search reveals that the first debt ceiling was passed in 1917 and had to do with the issuance of war bonds. The next was passed in 1939. That's Woodrow Wilson (D) and FDR (D) respectively. I guess it was originally meant to cap wartime expenditures or something? Seems pointless now.

A quick Wikipedia search reveals that the first debt ceiling was passed in 1917 and had to do with the issuance of war bonds. The next was passed in 1939. That's Woodrow Wilson (D) and FDR (D) respectively. I guess it was originally meant to cap wartime expenditures or something? Seems pointless now.

It was originally created as a thorn in the side of those who wanted to enter WW1.

How many times under Trump was the debt ceiling raised predicated on a "deal" that made the national debt worse? Was it two or three? How long did we wait to get a "deal" in 2011 between Obama and congress. Same game, different year. Hopefully this time isn't actually different.

Just seems like the press tells us all to focus on a narrative. So far that narrative has been -

The House is too dysfunctional to pass a bill. They passed a bill.

At that same time it was Biden is going to hold firm on getting a clean bill. Obama and Trump never did. Neither did Biden. And just like his predecessors he didn't hold firm.

The GOP will can McCarthy if he negotiates. He's negotiating. I don't see any meaningful ground swell of GOP congressmen/women calling for his head. Fuck, even fucktards like Gaetz are off tweeting about how no one is going to can him.

Now its X GOPers or Y Dems won't vote for a deal that includes this or that. OK. Is that really going to be enough to stop passage of a deal?

We go through this every two years. Yes, we're absolutely at risk until a deal is struck. Just strikes me as likely we get a deal. Bc both sides have already blinked at least once.

The GQP, and everyone who keeps voting for them, are fucking domestic terrorists.
#hottakes
I fix it for myself.

Won't vote democrats to keep these domestic terrorists out of office and thrown in the trash bin of history are complicit in domestic terrorism. They are all anti American authoritarians.

Back