• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Grantland.com (New Bill Simmons Site) and funny/unfunny women chat thread

Fitting that Simmons named his new project after the king of overwrought purple prose.

Should be fun.

Esp if we get a Klosterman piece every week.

Seeing Simons call his site Grantland makes me remember a day I had with my uncle. He was quite successful in the record business as a writer, producer and record label owner.

He like pop music and "I Write The Songs" came on the car radio on the way to play golf. He shook his head and said,"Right. Monumental ego for a monumental ass."

I feel the same way for Simmons to eqaute himself to Grantland Rice. What an egotistical asshole.

I'm looking forward to the Klosterman stuff (writing + podcasts).

Looks awesome. I know it's now trendy to hate on Simmons and say his stuff sucks and he's a Boston homer. Whatever. I hate Boston as much as everybody else and at times he is a little long winded and too focused on Boston, BUT, I do really enjoy reading his columns and feel that he provides a unique voice in the over saturated sports media space. In addition, I loved 30 for 30 and that was his creation, so I was excited to read this:

"As we planned it over the last 18 months, my No. 1 goal was to figure out how to capture the spirit and creativity of 30 for 30 and transfer it to a website. We wanted original voices, and we found a bunch of them already. We’re going to take chances, come up with a few premises and ideas that you haven’t seen before, and be consistently entertaining day after day. You will never know what to expect when you come to the site – in a good way. That’s our ultimate goal.”

Sounds exciting to me, I'm looking forward to it.

Looks awesome. I know it's now trendy to hate on Simmons and say his stuff sucks and he's a Boston homer. Whatever. I hate Boston as much as everybody else and at times he is a little long winded and too focused on Boston, BUT, I do really enjoy reading his columns and feel that he provides a unique voice in the over saturated sports media space. In addition, I loved 30 for 30 and that was his creation, so I was excited to read this:

"As we planned it over the last 18 months, my No. 1 goal was to figure out how to capture the spirit and creativity of 30 for 30 and transfer it to a website. We wanted original voices, and we found a bunch of them already. We’re going to take chances, come up with a few premises and ideas that you haven’t seen before, and be consistently entertaining day after day. You will never know what to expect when you come to the site – in a good way. That’s our ultimate goal.”

Sounds exciting to me, I'm looking forward to it.

100% agree with this post.

I love Simmons....he's the man. He's just a fan and he likes what most of us like: our own sports teams, creative sports ventures, and entertainment.

Always listen to his podcasts.

Don't understand the hate for him. He's a pioneer. Keeps pushing boundaries for platforms. Isn't afraid to try new things. Grantland's going to be awesome.

Love his podcasts, columns, tweets, and 30 for 30 docs. He just gets the business, and I only hope he inspires young journalists to be more like him.

I think that it's good that he broke in as a Boston homer because he's helped drop the facade that sportswriters aren't biased about the teams they cover.

I appreciate Simmons and enjoy him for the most part. I hate Boston teams so his homerism is especially annoying to me but I can't blame him. And I don't understand his recent hate of the Panthers and acting like they're a traditionally awful franchise. Or his conclusion that Chris Paul's Wake teammates sucked. Otherwise, he's cool with me.

The name? WGAF? It's a website dedicated to producing smart content. ESPN has really deep pockets. It's going to be great.

People hate on Simmons for pretty much everything he does, and I just don't get it. I think Rick Reilly blows, but I don't start a thread on him proclaiming how boring and awful his writing is. I just don't read him.

I appreciate Simmons and enjoy him for the most part. I hate Boston teams so his homerism is especially annoying to me but I can't blame him. And I don't understand his recent hate of the Panthers and acting like they're a traditionally awful franchise. Or his conclusion that Chris Paul's Wake teammates sucked. Otherwise, he's cool with me.

This. He gets these amazingly stupid things in his head and repeats them as fact over and over. I guess he is like a regular fan in that way as well. I consume most of his content but his overconfidence when talking about anything other than NBA can get annoying.

I can imagine how someone who doesn't really follow college basketball who knows Paul didn't play with any other NBA Draft picks could assume that Paul's teammates must have sucked because that's the only way he could explain why one of the best players in his generation didn't do anything of note in the postseason.

I think it was in his trade value column. First he claimed CP went to GT. Then he claimed the reason Deron Williams went 1 spot ahead of him was because CP's teamates were "awful" or he was on a "terrible team" or something to that affect. He made us sound like an NIT team that CP languished on for 2 years.

It's the name of the place.....

I'm sure simmons played a large role in deciding upon the name, but he might not have had the final call. From deadspin:

"According to sources close to the situation, ESPN finally struck a deal with the Grant family after several rounds of negotiations. ESPN said it will not reveal on how much money they had to pay Ken Grant for "grantland.com" to vaporize their online picture book of their Bali adventure. "Grantland", if you didn't know, is inspired by 1920's purple prose extraordinaire Grantland Rice and was the name ESPN senior vice president John Skipper was most giddy about, according to sources close to the situation. In case the Grants didn't give up the domain, alternative titles for the site included names such as "Wheelhouse" and "TheGOAT"(Greatest Of All Time), the latter of which was preferred by some staffers because it was "kind of awesome," sources close the situation said."

Back