• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Grantland.com (New Bill Simmons Site) and funny/unfunny women chat thread

The name? WGAF? It's a website dedicated to producing smart content. ESPN has really deep pockets. It's going to be great.

People hate on Simmons for pretty much everything he does, and I just don't get it. I think Rick Reilly blows, but I don't start a thread on him proclaiming how boring and awful his writing is. I just don't read him.

If you are a guitarist, you don't call yourself Hendrix.

If you are playwright, you don't call yourself Shakespeare.

If you are a second level sportswriter, you don't call your website Grantland.

It's arrogant and self-indulgent.

well speaking from a bit of a younger generation i really like the name. i think there are plenty of people who don't know who grantland is, so actually this is a very fitting TRIBUTE, which they actually state as the purpose of the name, because it will get myself and others to look this dude up.

I look forward to the discussion of a Bill Simmons' article/whatever that doesn't feel the need to include the caveat "I know a lot of people don't like him...". Every person on this site knows what he's about.

I look forward to the discussion of a Bill Simmons' article/whatever that doesn't feel the need to include the caveat "I know a lot of people don't like him...". Every person on this site knows what he's about.

I'm not sure I understand you. You don't like people using the caveat there? It took all of one response for someone to complain about simmons on this thread.

Its an homage to a great of the past.

Does "Baby Einstein" piss you off too?

Btw, when reading Simmons you have to know that he knows nothing about 1. College football and 2. College basketball.

Just keep that in mind and he's great.

I think it was in his trade value column. First he claimed CP went to GT. Then he claimed the reason Deron Williams went 1 spot ahead of him was because CP's teamates were "awful" or he was on a "terrible team" or something to that affect. He made us sound like an NIT team that CP languished on for 2 years.

i am not so sure he was wrong.

Add #3: the National League

Excellent add, yes, he knows nothing about the Senior Circuit.

He's also clueless about hockey and doesn't care about it unless the Bruins make the playoffs. Which I guess is the definition of a "casual fan."

I was disappointed he didn't do a running diary of the draft last night.

I appreciate Simmons and enjoy him for the most part. I hate Boston teams so his homerism is especially annoying to me but I can't blame him. And I don't understand his recent hate of the Panthers and acting like they're a traditionally awful franchise. Or his conclusion that Chris Paul's Wake teammates sucked. Otherwise, he's cool with me.

Simmons admits he knows little about the college game, but you have to remember nobody on CP's wake teams made the NBA. In his world: "no one else on the team made NBA" = "rest of team sucked." Names like taron downey, justin gray and eric williams mean little to non-wake and non-acc fans.

His recent hate of the panthers has pissed me off too though. He had a podcast a while ago with trent fuck-face dilfer (right after luck decided to stay) and said the panthers are an awful team to go to and were likely a big reason he stayed. Uh... consensus #1 QBs don't often go to good teams, dumbass. I promptly wrote him an email.

Last edited:
Simmons admits he knows little about the college game, but you have to remember nobody on CP's wake teams made the NBA. In his world: "no one else on the team made NBA" = "rest of team sucked." Names like taron downey, justin gray and eric williams mean little to non-wake and non-acc fans.

His recent hate of the panthers has pissed me off too though. He had a podcast a while ago with trent fuck-face dilfer (right after luck decided to stay) and said the panthers are an awful team to go to and were likely a big reason he stayed. Uh... consensus #1 QBs don't often go to good teams, dumbass. I promptly wrote him an email.

Back in ye ancient days of olde, when he was "The Boston Sports Guy", I seemed to send him corrections whenever he discussed college (which wasn't often).

Typical exchange:

DH - "Actually BSG, Sam Perkins didn't go pro early"
BSG - "Really, are you sure?"
DH - "Yeah I'm positive"
BSG - "Oh ok, sorry about that"

I think that was around 1998ish. It was interesting to watch him gain fame. At the time I viewed him the same way I'd view many of you folks - someone you chat with about sports that knows a little more than most folks and can be funny with how he communicates it. I think he was just in the right place at the right time, moreso than having dramatically more talent than others.

I think he was just in the right place at the right time, moreso than having dramatically more talent than others.

He definitely seems to have a knack for being ahead of the curve. His podcasts are another example of that.

Yeah a lot of it has to do with his normalcy as a sports fan, as if it could be any of us. He's a marketing genius IMO, he knows a TON about communication, technology, and pays attention to the way things are trending on the internet (mainly because he has so much time on his hands to do absolutely nothing but watch sports and dick around on the computer). He's a fantastic entrepreneur in general, and marketing yourself is huge in his line of work.

He also has a ridiculous amount of knowledge of the NBA, like an absurd amount. The book of basketball is just fantastic reading.

If you are a guitarist, you don't call yourself Hendrix.

If you are playwright, you don't call yourself Shakespeare.

If you are a second level sportswriter, you don't call your website Grantland.

It's arrogant and self-indulgent.

If you are a message board poster don't pretend that your opinions affect recruits

Back