• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Grobe Resignation: Feelings 2 days later

liveanddiedeac

Reaction score
Personally I'm still kind of sad and nostalgic over it, but I also have a feeling of excitement and really looking forward to next season to see what the new staff will try to establish here. Can't believe we've got to wait several months!

several months for the new hire or to see what the new staff will do? If it's several months until the new hire I will not be happy. Don't get me wrong I love Grobe, but I do think he sank his own ship with his blatant nepotism.

Barring a scandal or Bz-like first press conference, there will be unbridled optimism until next Fall, and the honeymoon will likely survive even a bad first year or two. Pretty hard to not love the possibilities with a new coaching hire, unless you hire someone like Jeff [Redacted].

No one wants to be where we ended up with Coach Grobe- hard decision but no other choice- same place he was with Los Lobos. Had he made the tough choices on assistants and gone out and aggressively worked to improve the program this wouldn't have happened. It is a business that paid him a fortune for no output. He had to see it coming and either could not or would not change. JG won't suffer, he is a rich man.

Loved the old Grobe. The more recent Grobe mailed it in. He accepted mediocrity in himself and then accepted it in most of his players. We would have had more years like this one.

several months for the new hire or to see what the new staff will do? If it's several months until the new hire I will not be happy. Don't get me wrong I love Grobe, but I do think he sank his own ship with his blatant nepotism.

Several months until we get to see the team the new staff puts on the field in a real game.

Barring a scandal or Bz-like first press conference, there will be unbridled optimism until next Fall, and the honeymoon will likely survive even a bad first year or two. Pretty hard to not love the possibilities with a new coaching hire, unless you hire someone like Jeff [Redacted].

That may have been the case pre internet but the long knives will be out very quickly if the new coach doesn't have a perfect rollout. Only need to look at Chapel Hill and the flack Fedora took the first year or NC State with a bare cupboard this year but still plenty of criticism of Doeren on the boards.

I always loved Grobe and am sad he's gone...although it was time. I am grateful he is a big enough man to see he wasn't getting it done and was willing to gracefully step aside. Grobe is a classy, classy guy. I don't think he "quit" on us -- I just think he ran out of gas and ideas. His loyalty to Lobo may be viewed as a fault, but it also speaks to the kind of person he is.

Why can't bzz do the same? Bzz will never even sniff the success Grobe had here -- why doesn't he say, "Guys, you need to win, and I'm just not doing that. I'm stepping down and making way for someone who might be able to do better than I did," (which is just about anyone.)

The leeway the new coach has is going to be completely up to what Wellman does. We probably are going to be bad next year, maybe even the year after that. If Wellman hires an exciting coach that the fanbase can rally around then the fact that we are going to bad will be overlooked and optimism will be high. If Wellman lands a dud like Buzz then despite the fact the records may remain the same as with the exciting hire the optimism will be low and that coach along with Wellman are going to get skewered. God please let it be option 1.

I've had several people comment something like "Hate to see that Grobe is leaving Wake." My response has been "Yeah, but it was time."

Has there been any kind of response like we had when Dino was let go? I haven't seen it and would think that's an indication that the time had come.

I've had several people comment something like "Hate to see that Grobe is leaving Wake." My response has been "Yeah, but it was time."

Has there been any kind of response like we had when Dino was let go? I haven't seen it and would think that's an indication that the time had come.

Well, that's pretty much how I feel. I hate to see him go, if I had my wish it would've been that he continued to be successful and stay here until he didn't want to coach anymore. However, things being as they were, it was time and that's not as much because many of us thought it was time, it is because he thought it was time. He knew his heart either wasn't in it or felt he didn't have in it him and it was best for Wake Forest to walk away. Not sure many coaches would do that, especially when they only need one more win to be the all time wins leader at the school.

The leeway the new coach has is going to be completely up to what Wellman does. We probably are going to be bad next year, maybe even the year after that. If Wellman hires an exciting coach that the fanbase can rally around then the fact that we are going to bad will be overlooked and optimism will be high. If Wellman lands a dud like Buzz then despite the fact the records may remain the same as with the exciting hire the optimism will be low and that coach along with Wellman are going to get skewered. God please let it be option 1.

Maybe, but Fedora and Doeren were considered exciting young coaches but it hasn't saved them from withering criticism on the boards. I just think that in the internet era, where every decision is argued ad nauseum, the honeymoon period is measured in nanoseconds. Now for your average fan, who is not on the boards constantly, you are likely right about the honeymoon period, but on the boards... I'm not buying it.

The feeling is the same as 2 days after Dino left: I'm excited.

Hopefully I don't get the same feeling as 5 days after Dino left.

Maybe, but Fedora and Doeren were considered exciting young coaches but it hasn't saved them from withering criticism on the boards. I just think that in the internet era, where every decision is argued ad nauseum, the honeymoon period is measured in nanoseconds. Now for your average fan, who is not on the boards constantly, you are likely right about the honeymoon period, but on the boards... I'm not buying it.

The difference I see here is that we all know that we are headed for a 1-2 win season next year, regardless of who's coaching. If we get 3 or 4 wins next year, and they don't all come at the beginning of conference play thus prematurely raising expectations, we'll have our opinions but there will be a lot more wait-and-see.

With UNC, Fedora had the talent to compete going in, but the coaching so far hasn't been yielding the results. State is somewhere in the middle, probably closer to us though.

A good coach doesn't have rabbit ears. Their self-criticism is greater than ours. He sees the bad side of a win. What has to be worked on over the next week. Guys who let it get to them don't last long, anyway.

Back