• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Grobe Resignation: Feelings 2 days later

Wait, he was fired? Really?

(although I do think that it was not entirely his decision)

Yeah, I'm sure a trollish State fan knows way more about what happened than us. We should definitely listen to him

I understand what you are saying but posters earlier on this thread were saying that they would give the new coach 1 or 2 bad years before they grumble and by bad years one said they expected a 1-2 win year the first year. I'll wager the honeymoon is about 1-2 bad GAMES before the board citizens start blasting the coach.

Watching a game, you can tell if a team is well coached even if they lose. If the team doesn't look well coached early, people will start grumbling. If they do look well coached and still lose, then very few will be grumbling.

Very few people were blasting Grobe in 2003-2005, because we still looked well coached despite the losses.

Watching a game, you can tell if a team is well coached even if they lose. If the team doesn't look well coached early, people will start grumbling. If they do look well coached and still lose, then very few will be grumbling.

Very few people were blasting Grobe in 2003-2005, because we still looked well coached despite the losses.

Not sure that's entirely honest. There was plenty of grumbling. I just think there was a stronger sense of optimism with others to balance it out.

A well coached team won't only win 1 or 2 games against our schedule. People were talking 1 or 2 wins because we weren't a well coached team.

Not sure that's entirely honest. There was plenty of grumbling. I just think there was a stronger sense of optimism with others to balance it out.

There was skepticism that Grobe couldn't turn keeping it close into wins and finish the season strong. And issues with the sagging offensive production and ineffective 3-3-5 defense.

Obviously those were legit criticisms that he only overcame with a special group of players that he couldn't replicate. Hopefully the new coach has a more sustainable model for success.

There was skepticism that Grobe couldn't turn keeping it close into wins and finish the season strong. And issues with the sagging offensive production and ineffective 3-3-5 defense.

Obviously those were legit criticisms that he only overcame with a special group of players that he couldn't replicate. Hopefully the new coach has a more sustainable model for success.

Never meant to suggest that the criticisms weren't legit. I was merely contradicting the notion that BBD seemed to be making that everything was hunky dory with the fans. It wasn't, and frankly, it will never be. That's sports.

Never meant to suggest that the criticisms weren't legit. I was merely contradicting the notion that BBD seemed to be making that everything was hunky dory with the fans. It wasn't, and frankly, it will never be. That's sports.

I didn't say everything was hunky dory. I was saying that there was less criticism than you would usually see with that W-L record because we were losing close games and looked like we had a good game plan in most games. There definitely WAS criticism, and some of it legitimate, but IMO if we had been getting blown out on the reg or looked lost, but had the same W-L record, there would've been a LOT more criticism.

I didn't say everything was hunky dory. I was saying that there was less criticism than you would usually see with that W-L record because we were losing close games and looked like we had a good game plan in most games. There definitely WAS criticism, and some of it legitimate, but IMO if we had been getting blown out on the reg or looked lost, but had the same W-L record, there would've been a LOT more criticism.

There was less criticism also because the W-L record, while mediocre, was still a step up from previously. After 2006 expectations were raised and the same mediocre W-L record was no longer acceptable.

To borrow a quote, "I couldn't be happier." Now, that's all set to change most likely after Wellman announces his dud.

I went to two road games during this time. Miami in '04 and Nebraska in '05. At Miami, we were out played in every aspect. At Nebraska, Mauk overthrew everybody, and we scored 3 pts. But the defense gave up 10 and looked pretty good. Nebraska's defense scored 3 TDs which made it look more like a blowout then it was. The question must be asked. Would Ben Mauk have gotten us as far as Riley did in '06? I don't think so. That's why I think Skinner is the best QB we ever had.

I am elated that I will never have to see a Lobo-designed offense at Wake Forest for the remainder of my life.

I am also excited to see a creative OC (let's hope we get one) do some new things with this team. We may have several stars and simply don't know it (i.e. Riley Skinner).

November 2003 and 2004 were pretty close to that. UConn and the Kollapse at Kenan were pathetic.

We entered November 2003, 2004, and 2005 needing two wins to make a bowl and we didn't get them.

Then we repeated that feat in November 2009, 2012, and 2013.

Last edited:
Wait, he was fired? Really?

(although I do think that it was not entirely his decision)

Semantics.

Out of respect for what he has done for the program, he was allowed to resign, RW accepted the resignation, and he received a buyout (severance) package.

Thankfully he was allowed to resign on Monday to give us a head start. I've been a huge critic of Wellman, but he played this one correctly.

Now that I've had a few days to process this, I'm feeling pretty good. I'm a little nostalgic for the good years Grobe gave us, but let's be honest--the last few years were pretty dismal.

The biggest thing that I'm giddy about is that I don't ever have to see an offensive snap called by Lobo ever again in my life, and that trumps any lingering "sad" feelings.

Sort of like Odom, post-Butler debacle?

We had to get rid of Grobe, to get rid of the worst Offensive Coordinator in America, unfortunately.

Semantics.

Out of respect for what he has done for the program, he was allowed to resign, RW accepted the resignation, and he received a buyout (severance) package.

2011 we had magic again until awesome Newman crushed that season.

This past season the ULM game and Camp's injury de-railed everything. This team EASILY could have gone 8-4.

But...

Now that I've had a few days to process this, I'm feeling pretty good. I'm a little nostalgic for the good years Grobe gave us, but let's be honest--the last few years were pretty dismal.

The biggest thing that I'm giddy about is that I don't ever have to see an offensive snap called by Lobo ever again in my life, and that trumps any lingering "sad" feelings.

Semantics.

Was there anything (i.e. coaching changes) that could have allowed him to remain? Or had that ship already sailed?

2011 we had magic again until awesome Newman crushed that season.

This past season the ULM game and Camp's injury de-railed everything. This team EASILY could have gone 8-4.

But...

Definitely. Based on his comments, Grobe thought so, too. The problem is that he thought the way to get there was with Lobo and the option. And a coach who thinks that needs to resign. Lobo was an epic failure. We had one of the worst offenses in the nation over the last 11 years by every conceivable measure except turnovers. And Grobe ignored it. And fans ignored it for a long time.

Back