• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Grobe Resignation: Feelings 2 days later

That may have been the case pre internet but the long knives will be out very quickly if the new coach doesn't have a perfect rollout. Only need to look at Chapel Hill and the flack Fedora took the first year or NC State with a bare cupboard this year but still plenty of criticism of Doeren on the boards.

You've got to be kidding. There are still a lot of pre-internet alums alive that know our history. If the new coach is well thought of by the fan base, they will have a pretty long honeymoon.

We've played football for 112 years, Grobe coached for 13 of those. That's 99 years of mostly crap.

As of today, the teams with the worst all time winning percentage are:

Indiana
New Mexico State
Buffalo
UNLV
Wake Forest
UTEP
Kent State
FIU
Georgia St

FIU and GA St have been in FBS less than 15 years each, so we effectively are the 3rd worst team historically.

When Grobe arrived we were either last or 2nd to last (Kent State may have pulled us out of last).

Besides the obvious size of UNC and State, there is a huge difference between teams that are at least historically above 500 and Wake that is barely over 40% for winning percentage.

A well received hire will have 2 years before any serious heat is on him, that's not saying some won't bash him for less than 4 wins a season, but they will be in the 5% of the fan base range.

Only private school on that list. Hard to call it a reason why we are historically bad at football when we are the worst private school program.

Above us

Fla Atlantic
LA Monroe
Idaho
Rice
Northwestern

I assume Rice is private so we are 8 behind the next lowest private school.

We are 122, in the list , dook is 98, Vandy 90, Baylor 87.

I feel the same way I felt when I first heard the news. For the first half of Grobe's tenure I was the happiest about football as I have ever been. The second half was the most disappointed I've been. I still don't know why we fell as fast as we did. For those that blame the coordinators, they were there because he wanted them there, it was his program and his responsibility. Putting emotion aside, there was no way he was earning his salary the last few years. I am glad he went out(hopefully) on his own terms. My concern is that for all he accomplished, I'm not sure he left the program any better than it was when he arrived.

With the exception of a three year stretch where you could argue that Grobe showed we could be competitive (although that mentality doesn't seem to have stuck with leadership or many fans), Grobe's last five years are about what Caldwell's last five looked like. Actually I think Caldwell probably left us with much more talent...

I think Grobe left the program with a much better reputation than when he found it. Still weird that he is not the coach anymore, but it will be easy to move on if Wellman makes a good hire.

With the exception of a three year stretch where you could argue that Grobe showed we could be competitive (although that mentality doesn't seem to have stuck with leadership or many fans), Grobe's last five years are about what Caldwell's last five looked like. Actually I think Caldwell probably left us with much more talent...

That mentality was over before it began. In Jax, people were calling the OB a once in a lifetime trip. We should have been working towards getting there again.

One could argue that Wellman forced Grobe out as a way to show he won't tolerate mediocrity. If he let both programs languish, the attention to basketball team's unmitigated failures were only be more glaring. At least there was a historical reason to hang on to Grobe. By offing Grobie, RW has (metaphorically) gone from human shields to shooting hostages.

Back