• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Grobe Resignation: Feelings 2 days later

it's gotta be tough firing someone like grobe, but it probably will work out for the best.

Anybody who says it will probably work out for the best is ignoring our football coaching history prior to Grobe. (yes I know OTF is a State fan). Just saying the odds are "never in our favor".

I'm feeling pretty good. Maybe not as good as a poster the caliber of Moon, but pretty damn good. I'm confident but not cocky. I like the way my trousers swing when I walk...

Will always love Grobe and I wish he could have gone out on a better season, but I'm actually excited to see something new this fall

Maybe, but Fedora and Doeren were considered exciting young coaches but it hasn't saved them from withering criticism on the boards. I just think that in the internet era, where every decision is argued ad nauseum, the honeymoon period is measured in nanoseconds. Now for your average fan, who is not on the boards constantly, you are likely right about the honeymoon period, but on the boards... I'm not buying it.

The internet makes it easier to look up the coaches' records and to see their games. That's about it. Both Fedora and Doeren are below reasonable expectations.

A few years ago, I put my dog Winston down. He was with me 12 years and was a really good, sweet dog. I loved him. I hated doing it, it was hard and it made me sad, but the time was right and it needed to be done. . .for everyone's sake. To this day, I miss him, but it was the right thing to do. . .

That's how I feel about Coach Grobe's and his resignation.

A few years ago, I put my dog Winston down. He was with me 12 years and was a really good, sweet dog. I loved him. I hated doing it, it was hard and it made me sad, but the time was right and it needed to be done. . .for everyone's sake. To this day, I miss him, but it was the right thing to do. . .

That's how I feel about Coach Grobe's and his resignation.

The internet makes it easier to look up the coaches' records and to see their games. That's about it. Both Fedora and Doeren are below reasonable expectations.

A social scientist is downplaying the transformative effect the internet has had (and having) on society? I'm honestly puzzled.

A social scientist is focusing on the causal role of coaching performance and W-L records on perception of their coaching abilities.

An 0-8 coach should not be above criticism because he is new and exciting. That coach would get flack in any era.

A social scientist is focusing on the causal role of coaching performance and W-L records on perception of their coaching abilities.

An 0-8 coach should not be above criticism because he is new and exciting. That coach would get flack in any era.

I would posit that internet message boards either attract or drive opinions to the extremes of both positive or negative. I smell an academic paper waiting to be written... Take a group of fans that don't visit a teams boards and compare it to a group that is on the boards constantly, compare opinions. If not significantly different then you're correct. If different then catalogue and test factors like age, social standing etc to see what drives the difference. Could make you famous PhDeac, if it hasn't already been done.

Sure, but don't confound opinions of an event with the actual event, an 0-8 coach.

Sure, but don't confound opinions of an event with the actual event, an 0-8 coach.

I understand what you are saying but posters earlier on this thread were saying that they would give the new coach 1 or 2 bad years before they grumble and by bad years one said they expected a 1-2 win year the first year. I'll wager the honeymoon is about 1-2 bad GAMES before the board citizens start blasting the coach.

Jim Grobe is a great guy. Love him. But he knew that it was time. 13 years is a long time. I will say that he would still be winning and having fun if he would allow more turnover in his assistants. These guys clearly are not top shelf or other programs would be hiring at least one or two away as a HC. Got to have new ideas all the time.

I understand what you are saying but posters earlier on this thread were saying that they would give the new coach 1 or 2 bad years before they grumble and by bad years one said they expected a 1-2 win year the first year. I'll wager the honeymoon is about 1-2 bad GAMES before the board citizens start blasting the coach.

Right, but that's not because of the internet. That's because of a 1 or 2 win season.

Right, but that's not because of the internet. That's because of a 1 or 2 win season.

Is it? I think the initial perception that a 1-2 win season is acceptable due to circumstances would be eroded (or enhanced) quicker and to a greater degree for someone on the message boards than someone who is not on the boards. I suspect that the instant, multiple, and anonymous feedback of the internet shapes and changes one's perceptions much quicker and effectively than a fan who only talks to other fans face to face. I guess you are arguing that both situations would eventually get to the same conclusion, but I'm not so sure, and I think it would be interesting to test the hypothesis.

After watching the greatest plays videos, it was time for Grobe to go. We used to have players....

After watching the greatest plays videos, it was time for Grobe to go. We used to have players....

This. I think the biggest difference is the lack of speed we have now. There are definitely tons of areas where we don't have the size, but I feel like we used to be able to mask our lack of size with speed. Other than Josh Harris when healthy, I felt like we haven't had a guy who can go the distance since Alphonso. Givens and Camp were shifty, but they didn't have burner speed. We don't have a guy like Willie Idelette, Kevin Marion, Fabian Davis, or John Stone out there. Those guys could make a Lobo reverse look genius.

This. I think the biggest difference is the lack of speed we have now. There are definitely tons of areas where we don't have the size, but I feel like we used to be able to mask our lack of size with speed. Other than Josh Harris when healthy, I felt like we haven't had a guy who can go the distance since Alphonso. Givens and Camp were shifty, but they didn't have burner speed. We don't have a guy like Willie Idelette, Kevin Marion, Fabian Davis, or John Stone out there. Those guys could make a Lobo reverse look genius.

Not disagreeing with your overall post but you are wrong about Givens and Camp. Givens ran a 4.35 40 at the NFL combine and Camp ran practically dead heats with Givens and Harris in preseason workout races.

Didn't ever hear this as a possibility. Put Lobo as Assoc. HC and hire a new OC with fresh ideas. Would have made everyone happy and we'd have got back to winning, IMO.

Didn't ever hear this as a possibility. Put Lobo as Assoc. HC and hire a new OC with fresh ideas. Would have made everyone happy and we'd have got back to winning, IMO.
I cant possibly disagree with this statement more than I currently do.

Back