• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Grobe Stepping Down - Press Conference @4:15

I feel a little like I felt when Odom left. Both he and Grobe elevated their respective programs, represented the school fabulously and were generally nice guys...but they ran their course. I will forever think of Grobie with great fondness and appreciation for what he did for Wake football. Good job, Coach!

Sad day and sadder that Grobe didn't get one more win to pass PeaHead - especially given the way we lost some games late - the dropped two point conversion UL-Monroe (that one hurt), two 4th qtr tds to Miami (we had them beat), a late FG by Vandy - three losses by a total of 7 points is tough (as was losing to Duke by 7).

Oh well, maybe the Orgeron era begins - he's out of a job having been passed over by USC

Grobe coming off as all class per usual.

Being honest saying everyone expected better. He did however say that "the coach and players squeezed out about as much as we could from this season." I kind of disagree with that (I vehemently disagree with that) But he's not going to throw anybody under the bus obviously.

Yeah, we were 0-4 in games decided by 7 points or less and every win was by double digits. Combine that with the option disaster and 4-8 was about as bad as this team could have done.

Yeah, we were 0-4 in games decided by 7 points or less and every win was by double digits. Combine that with the option disaster and 4-8 was about as bad as this team could have done.

To be fair, he also said that they had a good shot at the 2 more wins they needed for a bowl game and a chance at a winning season, but that to him that still would have been a disappointing year based on the number of seniors and how optimistic he was heading into the year.

Grobe is total class. I just hate that he had to resign to take some heat off of Wellman.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Been said before and will be said again, but how the hell is Buzzdicklick still coaching while someone like Grobe walks away? Some on here argued it was time for him to go, and maybe that's true, but Buzz has done NOTHING to deserve this coaching gig and has done NOTHING to keep it. But Buzz is here, Grobe is gone. Holy shit, where's the Tylenol.......

Where's the ativan? OxyContin ?

At least it's pretty good timing. Not too many big coaching spots opening this year and there are some great options available. Next year after a 2-3 win season we could have been in a much worse situation.

At least it's pretty good timing. Not too many big coaching spots opening this year and there are some great options available.
I suspect that reality was part of Grobe's decision.

I'm very sad, and will have nothing but positive memories of Coach Grobe. But, think it is best for both. Reminds me a bit of when George Welsh resigned at UVa after raising the program from the dead and then having a few down years. It is time. What I don't understand is how creative and imaginative the playcalling was back in the day, with all the misdirection, spreading the field and all. No defense ever felt comfortable against us. Never knew what was coming. The last few years, we have been ultra-conservative and predictable. I agree it is time for some new blood. Not sure why.

Thanks, Coach Grobe.

re: class and dignity, you folks realize that for anyone outside of WF his departure looks like anything but, right? folks are shaking their head about how we helped nudge him out the door.

I'm very sad, and will have nothing but positive memories of Coach Grobe. But, think it is best for both. Reminds me a bit of when George Welsh resigned at UVa after raising the program from the dead and then having a few down years. It is time. What I don't understand is how creative and imaginative the playcalling was back in the day, with all the misdirection, spreading the field and all. No defense ever felt comfortable against us. Never knew what was coming. The last few years, we have been ultra-conservative and predictable. I agree it is time for some new blood. Not sure why.

Thanks, Coach Grobe.

Agree with the Welsh comparison. BTW, how has UVA fared after Welsh and UVA parted ways?

re: class and dignity, you folks realize that for anyone outside of WF his departure looks like anything but, right? folks are shaking their head about how we helped nudge him out the door.
A lot of outsiders shook their heads at the Dino firing. A lot of outsiders shook their heads at the Bz hiring. I don't see the same thing here. People respect Grobe and if he's resigning it's not because the fans nudged him out, it's because he made his decision.

The Welsh comparison is sort of lacking because as I understood things, he was basically fired/forced out.

Back