• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Grobe Stepping Down - Press Conference @4:15

HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL GUYS, WE ARE TALKING ABOUT HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL, THE MOLDING OF MEN, THE SAVIOR OF SOCIETY, WE ARE TALKING HIGH SCHOOL.

it has been obvious for at least 4 years that we needed an offensive identity and better coaching on the offensive side. I will never understood why he did not make blatantly obvious decisions. If he had, there would have been no need to resign.

Lord, I am as happy as anyone that Grobe is stepping down because it's the right time but I certainly don't think he's out to stick it to us or make it harder for us to hire a replacement. I know some on this board really dislike him but come on people.

Mike can answer for himself but I took (and am listening) it to mean Grobe's focus on the academic issue and other challenges isn't an intentional "fuck you." It's insane for anyone to think that. I think he's just saying that talking about reasons for leaving may inadvertently work against us. Not intentionally.

What 94 said. I don't think it was a sour grapes thing at all. I believe him when he talks about how much he cares about Wake Forest. But Grobe is also a very highly regarded man and coach and he just looked flat-out defeated today.

I didn't say they were right. I explained that something had to change. But lots of people think Wake will never hire a better Coach than Jim Grobe. We will just have to prove them wrong.

Jim Grobe in 2013 is not the same as Jim Grobe in 2006.

If your friends think that, then they really haven't been paying attention very closely for the past few years.

If your friends think that, then they really haven't been paying attention very closely for the past few years.

They don't care about WF football; but they are still stunned by the Orange Bowl.

They don't care about WF football; but they are still stunned by the Orange Bowl.

So in their minds, one season should get you a contract for life, no matter the results afterwards.

Some brilliant minds there.

i'm shocked some rural nc hs football coaches hold shitty opinions. oh wait, i remember my hs football coaches.

Any chance he would rather resign than make major staff changes. I would like to think he just decided it was time for a change.

Which is understandable since many Wake fans haven't either. Non-Wake fans remember 2006-2009. They don't know just how bad the the last five seasons have between because we haven't mattered.

If Riley skinner had been our quarterback this year, we would have won at least 7 games . But Riley could only play 4 years. You get a Riley or Randolph Childress once in a coaching career if you are at WFU- if you are lucky enough to be Dave Odom or Jim Grobe.

Are there high school coaches who have been sending their 4* players to play for Grobe?

No.

There were people who thought Coach Dooley was as good as we would ever see. There were people who were convinced App State could never win in Ann Arbor. Or that basketball mid-majors couldn't contend in the NCAAT. The man who is sure of the future is a fool.

There were people who thought Coach Dooley was as good as we would ever see. There were people who were convinced App State could never win in Ann Arbor. Or that basketball mid-majors couldn't contend in the NCAAT. The man who is sure of the future is a fool.

I was pretty damn sure that Vandy and Baylor would never, ever be able to compete in the SEC and Big12 (or whatever they are now). They were completely inept for so long that it seemed like that was the only way. Then a couple of home run coaching hires, and look what they are doing now ...

Duke... DUKE is playing for the ACC Championship.

Now they don't have a prayer in hell- I'll actually be pulling for them- but they're in. That really is the only thing more surprising than Wake having done it.

Back