• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

GT Game Thread

While other Deacon fans sit through Northern Illinois in 2001; tropical storm at Navy in 2010 (?); freezing my ass off at home against Miami, Maryland, I lost track.
There was a monsoon at Groves against Clemson back in the 90s. There was the vandy game to end the season in freezing rain around 2008. I remember randomly heisman trophy was there on display. Follow that game with the navy bowl at rfk which was even colder. MD in 06 was frigid. Nebraska at home was hotter than hell. Just a few more…

I've got no idea other than players think they look silly. I would imagine they might make your head a little hotter, but it's not like we heard about NFL players falling out with heat stroke throughout training camp.

I feel pretty strongly that they should be. But Clawson doesn't sound like he's going to make an issue of it when the medical personnel isn't saying it should be mandatory.

Two days after I wrote about them, Michael Jurgens -- who's had at least two concussions at WF -- was wearing one for the first time. I figured that was a win.
Concussions are odd. They are mainly related to acceleration/deceleration forces, change of head direction, etc. People with longer/weaker necks are at particular risk for concussion, because that leads to rapid head movements - this is why it's such a bad idea for little kids to play tackle football and why females have higher concussion rates than males. So, adding weight to the head, as with a Guardian Cap, may actually increase concussion risks. The research is currently mixed - biomechanical research shows no real advantage of the Caps https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5634228/ but the NFL suggests that concussion rates are down since implementing the Caps (do we believe the NFL? They have a lot of reason$ to claim the Cap works and their sport is safe).

There was a monsoon at Groves against Clemson back in the 90s. There was the vandy game to end the season in freezing rain around 2008. I remember randomly heisman trophy was there on display. Follow that game with the navy bowl at rfk which was even colder. MD in 06 was frigid. Nebraska at home was hotter than hell. Just a few more…
we played FSU during a tropical storm in like 2019

The 2019 Duke game was cold and pouring rain, at least during the first half. The rain let up by the second.

UConn 2003…

Concussions are odd. They are mainly related to acceleration/deceleration forces, change of head direction, etc. People with longer/weaker necks are at particular risk for concussion, because that leads to rapid head movements - this is why it's such a bad idea for little kids to play tackle football and why females have higher concussion rates than males. So, adding weight to the head, as with a Guardian Cap, may actually increase concussion risks. The research is currently mixed - biomechanical research shows no real advantage of the Caps https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5634228/ but the NFL suggests that concussion rates are down since implementing the Caps (do we believe the NFL? They have a lot of reason$ to claim the Cap works and their sport is safe).

That’s the first I’d heard that they could potentially have a negative effect. That’s disconcerting.

That’s the first I’d heard that they could potentially have a negative effect. That’s disconcerting.
Let me clarify that further. There is no evidence that I am aware of that Guardian Caps increase the risk of concussion. What I was trying to convey is that increased head weight can increase the risk of concussion, so putting extra material around the head/helmet is not automatically a net positive in terms of concussion.

Strange that we have played GT a total of 3 times in the 17 years since the ACCCG, and only once since our last meeting in Winston in 2010. We're 0-3 in that span. Time for payback.
Flip side of this is we haven't lost to UVA since 2007 (5-0 over that span). Before that we were 1-20 against them dating back to 1984 including a 17 game UVA win streak between 1984 and 2000.

Flip side of this is we haven't lost to UVA since 2007 (5-0 over that span). Before that we were 1-20 against them dating back to 1984 including a 17 game UVA win streak between 1984 and 2000.
That 1-20 streak included at least two games lost by missed WF field goals at the buzzer

Didn't we play FSU in a snow one year that was really close. Mid 90's..

Let me clarify that further. There is no evidence that I am aware of that Guardian Caps increase the risk of concussion. What I was trying to convey is that increased head weight can increase the risk of concussion, so putting extra material around the head/helmet is not automatically a net positive in terms of concussion.

I assume research takes additional weight into account.

I assume research takes additional weight into account.
I'm not sure I understand the question (and based on Deacsfan's tag there might be a joke I'm missing...)

Strange that we have played GT a total of 3 times in the 17 years since the ACCCG, and only once since our last meeting in Winston in 2010. We're 0-3 in that span. Time for payback.
Agree. I was at the 2017 game at Grant Field and we really shit the bed and played way to conservatively.

I share that uneasy feeling. I think FSU ends up with a better record than GT, but I feel better about that game than GT. GT O is turbo. I don't think they have scored well in the red zone, though...

Last edited:
Back