• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Guess the Plot of Popular Movies/TV Shows/Books You've Never Seen

Say Hey Deac

Reaction score
Inspired by the thread about classic movies you've never seen, as well as a recent podcast I heard with Paul Scheer:

There are certain movies/tv shows/books that are very popular that I have never seen. Despite not seeing them, however, I think I can describe the basic plot.

For example, I know nothing about the Twilight books or movies. That said, here is my guess about what they are about:

High school chick moves to new town. She is a loaner, perhaps a bit gothy (Boogity hasn't reached her yet). She meets a fellow outcast, who is that skinny dude with the big hair. He turns out to be a vampire. They fall in love. There is another dude at the school who she also meets, the Hispanic-looking gay dude with the abs, who is a werewolf. She is also hot for him. She can't decide which one she likes more. Meanwhile, there are some bad vampires and/or werewolves who are killing people. They go after the girl, but the vampire/werewolf stop them, perhaps even teaming up to protect her, despite the fact they don't like each other because they're competing for the same babe. There is probably a lot of drama about who she is going to do it with, whether they can do it, and whether the vampire and/or werewolf will turn her into one of their kind.

How close did I come?

Last edited:
Close enough for you to never have to think about Twilight ever again.

Singin' in the Rain.

Guys and Dolls in the rain, something quirky happens, two people fall in love and start kissing at the end.

The thread title is classic movies, etc. and the thread starter first mentions Twilight. Seems to contradict the thread title.

Classic, popular, whatever. Something that you feel like many/most people have seen, but you have not. Yet because of that work's place in our culture, you feel like you have a vague idea of what it is about.

Classic, popular, whatever. Something that you feel like many/most people have seen, but you have not. Yet because of that work's place in our culture, you feel like you have a vague idea of what it is about.

Oh, I just like taking every opportunity possible to trash Twilight possible so my comment was more about the movie than your choice in words

Gone With the Wind:

White people in the south own slaves during the Civil War, and they fall in love, and then Sherman burns their houses down, and we (are supposed to) feel bad for them. But their love conquers all, and they rebuild, and their slaves are happy to be slaves.

Close?

Gone With the Wind:

White people in the south own slaves during the Civil War, and they fall in love, and then Sherman burns their houses down, and we (are supposed to) feel bad for them. But their love conquers all, and they rebuild, and their slaves are happy to be slaves.

Close?

In order: yes, no, kinda (generic Yankee troops), kinda (lots of tragedy), no, implied, kinda (some are, some aren't but not dealt with).

Gone With the Wind:

Close?

Although the movie and the book are ostensibly about the Old South, the story proved to be popular because it capitalized on nostalgic feelings of "the world we have lost." These feelings were quite common and popular during the interwar period on both sides of the Atlantic. In short, Margaret Mitchell and her audience were primarily dominated by the nostalgic feelings that WWI, not the Civil War, had evoked. Women liked the story because Scarlet is a strong character, one they would like to be like. And just between you and me, before the Civil Rights movement most White people in America were not too concerned with the feelings and condition of Black Americans, and so they are kind of irrelevant to the story.

Human Centipede:

Some crazy doctor kidnaps people and sews their butts to their mouths and probably does the sex to the one on the end. They manage to crawl out the door or somehow escape, but the final scene alludes to crazy doc doing it or something equally nuts again. Yes?

I think we should throw out movie titles and someone who hasn't seen it should chime in with what they think it's about.

I want to hear from people who haven't seen:
The Matrix
Fight Club
Forrest Gump
The Lion King
Ferris Bueller's Day Off

Rudy: small, portly Catholic youth wants to play football for Notre Dame. He gets to be the manager and wash jockstraps, but at the very end he gets onto the field to live his dream. He is promptly broken into two pieces by whatever large opponent Notre Dame is losing to, but not before he is hoisted onto the shoulders of the very people that are about to send him to his doom.

Close?

Rudy: small, portly Catholic youth wants to play football for Notre Dame. He gets to be the manager and wash jockstraps, but at the very end he gets onto the field to live his dream. He is promptly broken into two pieces by whatever large opponent Notre Dame is losing to, but not before he is hoisted onto the shoulders of the very people that are about to send him to his doom.

Close?

Pretty much. He doesn't get broken in half though. And I think Notre Dame wins since there was no BCS bowl game when the film was made.

I think we should throw out movie titles and someone who hasn't seen it should chime in with what they think it's about.

I want to hear from people who haven't seen:
The Matrix
Fight Club
Forrest Gump
The Lion King
Ferris Bueller's Day Off

Due to the demographics of this board, I would think that you would be hard pressed to find many people who haven't seen LK or most other Disney animated movies.

Ferris Bueller's Day Off

Bueller decides to not go to school, but doesn't tell anyone. Ben Stine calls role, says "Bueller" in his usual excited voice. People wonder where he is, start to worry he might be sick. Meanwhile Bueller is having the time of his life, getting in to all sorts of highjinks along the way. In the end, he is fine, everyone laughs, and no one seems to care that he skipped class.

Back